UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: What level to start Shivering Isles?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 0
Hello, UESP.

I was wondering about which level I should do Shivering Isles on PS3, if it matters much. I know its advisable to do KotN early, but what about SI?

Post subject: Re: What level to start Shivering Isles?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360,PC
You dont have to be to high level. What level are you now?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:09 pm 
Associate
Associate

11... Been dumping a bunch of points into Strength, Speed, and Endurance for my Combat-specced Redguard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Theoretically, you could start at any level, even level 1, the scaling of the game makes it possible whenever you want. There is the issue of level scaling of rewards to consider though. The UESP is currently down, but there is an article which details those levelled quest rewards. I'll link you to it when the UESP comes back up.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:39 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Any level is good but Amber and Madness armour is best at 23 and over. I would put off getting any Madness or Amber armour until you were level 23.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim.
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Personally, I think any higher that Level 10 should find it fun. Lower than that on normal difficulty (like i did) can find it difficult. But get to level 23 before using the amber or madness stuff...its best at that level, although I dont know much about since i went through it at level 39 initially and havent yet gone there on my main file :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360,PC
Sorry FatalRecoil, ive been busy. Like some of the people said, start at a fairly high level for better loot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 pm 
Master
Master

Knight Captain Kerr wrote:
Any level is good but Amber and Madness armour is best at 23 and over. I would put off getting any Madness or Amber armour until you were level 23.

Amber/Madness armor is not really a good example of something. There are plenty of quest rewards which ARE levelled, and these are possible reasons to put off doing the Shivering Isles until later. When it comes to Amber and Madness Ore, you can get as much as you like off of Gnarls and Grummites. I have a file where I went straight for the Shivering Isles first thing, and I'm not grinding out skills or levels (Picked thief class, and playing using thief skills for the majority in an attempt to play the game as it was meant to be). I currently have a full suit of Amber armor, an amber bow, and I try to only fire amber arrows. And every so often I have to upgrade it. I'm not saying it rains like candy, but there's no reason to make amber/madness armor/weapons before you hit 23, it's perfectly possible to find enough amber/madness to make another set later. Though, you may want to hold on to any matrices you find, those are considerably rarer.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:49 pm 
Associate
Associate

Okay... thanks for the info.
I' m still a little confused though. Can someone get me the link OblivionDuruza mentioned yet? :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 2
Quest Timing
Leveled Item Quests

Here you are, hope you'll find it useful :D

Last edited by M.C.Marcellus on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:16 pm 
Master
Master

Check out the following
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Unique_Clothing
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Armor
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Weapons

This lists the various weapons and armor added by the Shivering Isles. For a number of these, you'll see multiple versions listed, with each version having a level range next to it. That level range is the range in which you can obtain it. That's what's called a "levelled item". It's made to be similar in power to other types of weapons and armor you can obtain at that level, because any monsters you may encounter during a quest are also levelled, and it just wouldn't make sense to give you the best weapons in the game for defeating level 1 monsters.

However, do note: Due to a bug, all levelled items in the Shivering Isles are based on what level you were when you first loaded the plugin, NOT the level you are when you obtain them (Like all the levelled items in the main part of Oblivion are). This means if you've already started a file, and Shivering Isles has already been loaded... unfortunately everything will be level 1, no point in not starting immediately in that case. If you have the PC version, that bug IS fixed in one of the unofficial patches however.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:58 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
urthdigger wrote:
Check out the following
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Unique_Clothing
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Armor
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Weapons

This lists the various weapons and armor added by the Shivering Isles. For a number of these, you'll see multiple versions listed, with each version having a level range next to it. That level range is the range in which you can obtain it. That's what's called a "levelled item". It's made to be similar in power to other types of weapons and armor you can obtain at that level, because any monsters you may encounter during a quest are also levelled, and it just wouldn't make sense to give you the best weapons in the game for defeating level 1 monsters.

However, do note: Due to a bug, all levelled items in the Shivering Isles are based on what level you were when you first loaded the plugin, NOT the level you are when you obtain them (Like all the levelled items in the main part of Oblivion are). This means if you've already started a file, and Shivering Isles has already been loaded... unfortunately everything will be level 1, no point in not starting immediately in that case. If you have the PC version, that bug IS fixed in one of the unofficial patches however.

Surely one should be able to temporarily disable SI and enable it again after they have decided it's time to travel to Sheogorath's shire? That would reset the levelled items, non?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Master
Master

Possibly, I am not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:31 pm 
Associate
Associate

I don't think I can disable Shivering Isles with the PS3's 5th Aniversary Edition.
The main game, KotN, and SI are all on the same disk and you cannot chose which plugins you want to use.

This is because the publisher chose to take full advantage of the larger data capacity offered by Bluray disks, instead of using separate disks for the game and plugins like the Xbox 360 version does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

This was the list I was talking about. Sorry for not posting it, but as I say, the UESP Wiki was down for at least an hour last night, and I eventually gave up waiting to go to sleep :lol:. To get the best of all these items, being around level 30 is best (this is because Oblivion is a 'level 25 game' by Bethesda's own admission, so the Shivering Isles are designed for a slightly higher level character).

Just on the issue mentioned above, this pertains specifically to the Talisman of Abetment, a very nice item, but not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things. I'm not sure if there's anything PS3 players can do in this regard. :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:58 pm 
Master
Master

Really? I thought that applied to all shivering items. I know it also affects a number of add-on items, like those from the Mehrune's Razor plugin.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:53 pm 
Associate
Associate

Okay, so I now see SI was created primarily for those who have completed the main quest.
I know this is offtopic, but I made a character profile on Elderstats and I can't figure out how to get a sig out of it. Can someone PM me with how to get one, please?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

urthdigger wrote:
Really? I thought that applied to all shivering items. I know it also affects a number of add-on items, like those from the Mehrune's Razor plugin.

I was referring to the issue of items placed in chests as soon as the expansion (Shivering Isles) is loaded. The Talisman is the only major item that is really effected by this, because most of them are just given to the player, and therefore loaded at that time, rather than at level one.

Also: You can access your Elder Stats BBcode by looking under UCP > Statcard Listings

It should give you this (with . instead of [dot]):
BBCode for This Stat Card (for use on forums):
Quote:
[url=http://www.elderstats[dot]com/character/1471][img]http:%20//www.elderstats[dot]com/statcard/1471.gif[/img][/url]

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]