UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Switch to mobile style
 Post subject: Shivering Isles or Main Quest - which first?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:01 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 & PC & PS4
UESPoints: 0
I am ambling along quite well now gradually levelling up and increasing my skills on this second play through on the PC platform. I have almost reached the point at where all the bug problems and drop outs started to occur when p0laying through on the first attempt on the PS3 platform.

The question is knowing that the Knights of The Nine severely affected increasing skill levels gained through training, (primarily Restoration and Speechcraft), what with certain characters getting killed in the process, is the same thing likely to happen if I play the Shivering Isles before I commit to the Main Quest.

I have had said to me that it is probably better to play the side quests etc. before the Main Quest as you don't have to cope with Oblivion Gates opening up all over the place. That's why I have left it till later, but how much later should I leave it?

I know by not at least starting the Main Quest, I am denying myself the opportunities of the extra training that can only be accessed after closing gates and actually in Kvatch (Restoration), so I know I have to start at some time, but the question is when?

Post subject: Re: Shivering Isles or Main Quest - which first?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
Frodo-Baginses wrote:
... I know by not at least starting the Main Quest, I am denying myself the opportunities of the extra training that can only be accessed after closing gates and actually in Kvatch (Restoration), so I know I have to start at some time, but the question is when?

The price for delaying the Main Quest here is that you'll have no access to the training by Oleta, the Master trainer for Restoration: A person you will not be able to train from until your Restoration skill exceeds 70...

...something tells me you're going to finish a whole lot of fun and zany quests long before you can actually use the gal's help. I wouldn't worry about delaying the Main Quest if keeping the trainer locked up in Kvatch is what you're worried about most.

As for the Isles themselves, I don't recall any adverse impact the Shivering Isles has upon the questlines in Cyrodiil. What happens in the Isles stays in the Isles, as it were.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 & PC & PS4
Once you have started the Shivering Isles can you take respite and come back to Cyroddil or do you have to stay where you are until the total quest is finished?

What about loot? Can you go in there and collect stuff and bring it back to stash or/and sell and then go back in again?

I created a suit of armour out of Daedric items and jewellery that helps me carry more stuff (i.e it increases my strength such that I'm up to 900) so I can minimise my fast travelling back and forth the Mall. Will this serve me well in the Shivering Isles?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
You can go between the Shivering Isles and Cyrodiil at will, and yes you can take items back and forth without worry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
The only thing you really can't take across from one realm to another are followers. Adoring Fan and the like.

You are free to travel between the two realms, and no one can really stop you from doing so. Shivering Isles has merchants as well, and gold coins are gold coins no matter where you spend them.

As for storage, there are a few safe containers stashed all around the Isles. The problem is remembering which particular one holds your cache.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.