UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to locate Morrowind save games in Windows 10/8.1/8/7?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:25 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC (Windows)
Other Profiles: NA
UESPoints: 0
To locate Morrowind save games in Windows 10/8.1/8/7 64 bit, follow the path given below:

C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda\Morrowind\Saves

You can manually go to the path by enabling 'View Hidden Files' in Control Panel -> Folder Options

Also it is better to create a shortcut of the Morrowind Save games folder and back-up your saves.

Post subject: Re: How to locate Morrowind save games in Windows 10/8.1/8/7
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:55 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: /u/Thefakewhitefang -reddit
I thought you were asking a question. Are you doing this to help direct individuals who need to locate their saves to this forum post from a search engine?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:08 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind
Platform: PC
A tip to help is exactly what the OP posted and it is exactly what I needed/was looking for. THX, OP!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:32 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I was wondering this, too, because I have some saved games I was thinking about deleting. But in my case I think Steam might just restore my deleted saves from its cloud saves? Will have to try it to see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:24 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
I purchased and installed Morrowind on Steam, and the location mentioned above didn't work for me.

If you're using Steam, right-click on the game, select Manage > Browse local files, and you should see a Saves folder.

The saved game filenames appear to be up to 12 characters long, 4 digits at the end, and a file extension of ".ess". The part of the name that precedes the 4 digits is from the name you gave the saved game, with any spaces removed, and no longer than 8 characters. The 4 digits are used to distinguish between saved game names that are identical.

For example, suppose you've saved 4 games with the following names:

My Saved Game
My Saved Game 2
New Saved Game

Assuming "My Saved Game" had been created before "My Saved Game 2", the filenames for the preceding saved games would be as folllws:

MySavedG0000.ess
MySavedG0001.ess
NewSaved0000.ess

I deleted a saved game file that I no longer wanted, and when I launched the game through Steam, the saved game that I had deleted was restored from the Steam Cloud.

I then turned off the option to save Morrowind's saved games in the Steam Cloud, deleted the unwanted saved game file again, restarted Morrowind, and the unwanted saved game was no longer there.

I then turned the Steam Cloud option back on, and the unwanted saved game was restored again, so I'm not sure if there's a way to delete unwanted saved games from the Steam Cloud.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:48 pm 
Champion
Champion

UPDATE/SOLVED:

Thanks go to Steam user WondrinOstrich for posting a solution for the game Rimworld on August 11, 2016.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ ... 212137212/

My version is for Morrowind, but uses the same "trick." I've broken it down into steps to make it easy to follow.

(1) Start Steam, right-click on Morrowind in your game library, and select Properties.

(2) In the General settings, make sure Steam Cloud is enabled-- do not disable it-- then close the Properties window.

(3) Right-click on Morrowind again, and select Manage > Browse local files.

(4) Open the Saves folder, then minimize it for the moment.

(5) In your Steam library, select Morrowind and click Play.

(6) In the Morrowind launch window, click Play and wait until Morrowind starts up.

(7) If necessary, Alt-Tab back to the desktop, then bring up the minimized Saves folder.

(8) While Morrowind is running in the background, delete or move any unwanted saved game files from the Saves folder. (If you want to keep them archived so you can restore them later, but don't want them to show up anymore in the game, move the saved game files to some other location.)

(9) Steam doesn't know that Morrowind doesn't have a method for easily deleting saved game files the way Oblivion does, so it thinks you've just deleted a saved game from within Morrowind and updates its Steam Cloud accordingly.