Switch to full style
A place to discuss and ask questions about the third part of The Elder Scrolls series and its expansions
Topic locked

Provincial Pronunciation

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 pm

I've heard several different NPCs, in both Oblivion and Morrowind, say it as "Marrowind" and "Morrowind" and I'm wondering if there is any official recognization on either pronunciation or are both accepted?

Re: Provincial Pronunciation

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Yeah. And what about names to. I have heard it pronounced "Sugar-wrath" and "Sheggo-wrath". Which is the right one?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Sheogorath is pronounced Schayo-gorath. Basically how you would probably saw it if you read it for the first time.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Kestral wrote:I've heard several different NPCs, in both Oblivion and Morrowind, say it as "Marrowind" and "Morrowind" and I'm wondering if there is any official recognization on either pronunciation or are both accepted?

I have never heard it pronounce Marrowind before. I heard some bloke on Youtube call it that, but never any in-games peeps.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:57 pm

To me it only seems to be the difference between an English and an American drawl-like accent ;)

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 am

Ya know, There are parts of this story that are not really true :) I think whatever way you pronounce it is in your head is the appropriate one.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 am

i used to say "marrowind" but i think it's supposed to be "morrowind" because i heard "morrowind" on my goty extra disk for oblivion

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 am

The one character who speaks in a clear accent is Azura. The way she said it at the beginning of Morrowind is like it looks- Morr-O-wind.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 am

lol i though sheogorath was pronounced she-o-gorath

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:50 am

*phones her*, hmmm the line is dead.

Personally i think the wiki needs to get one of those buttons which you press to hear the pronuciation but in azura's vioce. Also like many words in many languages wouldnt the dilect affect how the words are said, meaning there is no 'true' way of saying them?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Might be a matter of accent or dialect?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Yeah but seeming the game is in English maybe we should be discussing how to say it like that...and the original poster speaks English so you know...

Sheey-o-gorath <----- That is how Azura said it in her quest in Morrowind.
I say Azura knows best.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I have always said More-oh-wind, since that's technically how Jiub says it. But I think it could go either way.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Vivec's Tears wrote:I have always said More-oh-wind, since that's technically how Jiub says it. But I think it could go either way.

Jiub sounds like he could do with a pack of strepsils.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Newsound wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:I have always said More-oh-wind, since that's technically how Jiub says it. But I think it could go either way.

Jiub sounds like he could do with a pack of strepsils.

Probably has cliff racer poo stuck in his lungs.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:10 pm

You are a dirty girl Vivec.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Well, come now Newsound, I meant because if you chase a bajillion Cliff Racers out of somewhere and, well, you know how they tend to swarm. I'm sure they drop a lot of stuff, and some of it's bound to land on or in someone. -_-

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Vivec's Tears wrote:I'm sure they drop a lot of stuff, and some of it's bound to land on or in someone. -_-

That thought is making me wretch.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Newsound wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:I'm sure they drop a lot of stuff, and some of it's bound to land on or in someone. -_-

That thought is making me wretch.

I wouldn't put it past the damn things. Those ash storms get pretty violent, too...

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Vivec's Tears wrote:I wouldn't put it past the damn things. Those ash storms get pretty violent, too...

You know it is not suprising the Dunmer are so grumpy, seeming they always have dirt/ash/sand/cliffracer in every crevice of there bodies.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 pm

I pronounce it, Morrowind, like Jiub. I thought that it was the way all people pronounce it.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I say Moar-o-wind. Guess I just had to be special, didn't I.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 am

Scozzar wrote:I'd rather trust a god, rather than a prisoner that you meet for 2.5 minutes. I just dont trust strangers, especially prisoners :P

he is a saint in OB, yu know.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:37 am

Scozzar wrote:I'd rather trust a god, rather than a prisoner that you meet for 2.5 minutes. I just dont trust strangers, especially prisoners :P

Going off-topic here, but I was surprised to find out that in Oblivion they actually mention Jiub as a saint and
the mysterious hero who somehow drove all the Cliff Racers from Vvardenfell. It is also mentioned that he was killed by the Daedra during the Oblivion crisis.

Rather makes one respect him, what? :D

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Norroen Dyrd wrote:

Going off-topic here, but I was surprised to find out that in Oblivion they actually mention Jiub as a saint and
the mysterious hero who somehow drove all the Cliff Racers from Vvardenfell. It is also mentioned that he was killed by the Daedra during the Oblivion crisis.

Rather makes one respect him, what? :D

Yes, that's what I was referring to when I was talking about cliff racer poo ;)
Vivec's Tears wrote:Well, come now Newsound, I meant because if you chase a bajillion Cliff Racers out of somewhere and, well, you know how they tend to swarm. I'm sure they drop a lot of stuff, and some of it's bound to land on or in someone. -_-
Topic locked