UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Should I buy Skyrim SE...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 am 
Layman
Layman

UESPoints: 0
So, my computer can barely run Oldrim at >30 FPS on lowest settings. How well can I expect SE to run? It's literally a laptop with a (dual-core) i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, integrated graphics.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to spend $20 on a game that won't run on my computer (e.g. Fallout 4), but I don't want to have to spend $45 for DLC that will never go on sale. And the DLC is required for a growing number of mods.

Last edited by Aarah on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Removed random link

Post subject: Re: Should I buy Skyrim SE...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I bought Skyrim SE so I could have all of the DLC, since I had never bought the DLC for regular Skyrim. I play it on my not-so-great laptop and it runs okay, but I would check the minimum system requirements and recommended system requirements before buying it. I always set my Elder Scrolls video options toward the lesser quality rather than the higher quality settings, because I once tried using the higher quality on an older computer and the performance really suffered, so now I just always go with lower quality for better performance.

By the way, I don't know if you can use any old mods with Skyrim SE, because it uses the Creation Club or whatever it's called, so I think you have to use only approved and endorsed mods that are sold through the Creation Club. But I might be wrong about that, because I don't use any mods or add-ons with any of my Elder Scrolls games, other than the official DLC from Bethesda or ZeniMax. So if your whole point in thinking about getting Skyrim SE is so you'll have all of the DLC that's required for any third-party mods that you want to try out, I suggest you research the issue of mods and the Creation Club very carefully so you don't find out after the fact that you're screwed.

Post subject: Re: Should I buy Skyrim SE...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:34 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I think the mods issue balance themselves out. For every old mod that can't be used on SE, there's a new one that will. Big mods like Ordinator have been reissued for SE, and maybe (?) they will stop patching the old version.
I haven't bought SE because I wasn't sure if my ordinary graphics card would enjoy it, and maybe I'd have to turn the graphics right down. So I went ahead and bought the DLC's I didn't have, for the old version.