UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: C++ Runtime Error
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: 360; PC
Other Profiles: SadeLeamonde; AedanStarfang
UESPoints: 0
I wanted to post this here as this issue struck me very recently and I wanted to prevent others from pulling out their hair (figuratively) as I did. Basically there are a few things you can do (I'm a Windows 7 64 bit user btw)

1) probably the simplest - verify the local game cache (in my case 8 files were detected as missing), my game no longer experiences C++ errors for now at least.

2) Update your C++ Runtime library, basically uninstall & reinstall via control panel. Right-click and run command prompt "cmd" as administrator and type sfc /scannow, which should tell you if anything internal is corrupt and basically determine whether you need this step or not.

3) Clean boot. in search type MSCONFIG >> services >> check/uncheck (depending on whether MS Services are hidden) click "disable all" >> startup >> "disable all" >> click 'OK' and restart the computer [*Note you will have to go back into MSCONFIG and re-enable services and/or restart once more as the PC will have booted with them de-selected].

Steps 1 & 3 combined worked for me, I performed a clean boot and then verified the local game cache (8 files missing) waited for it to download to 100% and it works fine -- obviously experiences and results will vary.