UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Walking animation plays even though character stands still
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
My newest character has a problem. Namely, when he's standing still, the walking animation still goes on playing, so it looks like he is walking in place. This happens both with a weapon drawn and sheathed. I mostly play in the 1st person, so this isn't a huge problem. Still, the bobbing of the weapons while standing still is annoying me.

This far I've tried the following: Dying, reloading a save (both from the game and by restarting the whole game), playing some idle animation and sexchange console command twice in a row. Only the latter helped, but only temporarily. Whenever I move again, the problem reappears. I don't think this is any mod's fault, since I haven't changed my mod repertoire or load order in over a year and this bug hasn't appeared with any other character.

How to fix this, short of loading a very old save and losing a lot of progress or installing an animation replacer (if even that helps)?

Post subject: Re: Walking animation plays even though character stands sti
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
its probably a script in one or more of your mods got messed up or broken by something that happened or accumulated recently , since i have not seen such problem in this forum thru 25 pages of both general or help sections so i assume it something very very rare or unique happening to your game so something must be special in your case and since you use mods and i assume lots of then or heavy scripted ones/having scripted animations. i myself don't mess few mods with scripts together and only put together mods designed to work together and i limit amount of mods installed to less than 5, and only problem i had was not working cannibalism function

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, that might be possible. I do have 75 mods active, after all. Only a few of them are script-heavy, though, like Civil War Overhaul. Besides, so far most of them have behaved nicely enough together. I might have to try deactivating mods a few at a time and see if the problem disappears. Lots of annoying work, but it's interesting to see if some mod is the culprit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:48 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
Unfortunately, given the volatile nature of modding the whole self-diagnosis route is often the only action you can take. Been like that for years.

If you do find something, let us know for those that may have a similar problem in the future!

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
do you have any mods with scripted animations, and i think you do, deactivating one/some of then should make change

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:47 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, I did some testing with the most probable suspects. I disabled Bert's Breezehome, Duel version 5, Civil War Overhaul, No Spinning Death Animation and muscular walk animation fix one by one. These didn't fix the issue immediately, since my character was still walking in place.

After all these had been disabled, and Duel and the animation mods re-enabled, the issue still remained. But then I ran backwards just to check in better light. And guess what, that fixed it! The character stood perfectly still, as it should. I made a brief test by drawing my weapon and moving forwards both with weapon in hand and sheathed, then standing. Then I redid it without wearing my mod-added travel lantern. The bug persisted. A third test was conducted, where I both walked and ran backwards with the lantern equipped, then unequipped it. That fixed the problem again, and it didn't return with or without the lantern.

So, the issue can be with the vanilla game, too, since after googling this more it seems to have happened to some others, too (at least one of them with very few mods IIRC). But in my case it was somehow tied with the Travel Lantern mod. In any case, the bug started only after I had strated using the lantern, as far as I can remember. Fortunately, easy to fix.

Now I'm a bit amused. After all, this was the only trick I that didn't occur to me to try, and of course it was just the thing.

EDIT: edited after some additional testing.