UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Great Skyrim Cache Grab
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:49 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 & PC & PS4
UESPoints: 0
Nearly there!

I have almost completed all of the quests and activities that are listed in the game guide, apart from the failed ones, that wouldn't trigger because of various reasons including premature NPC deaths and inadvertant disorder.

I'm looking at a couple of loose quests at the moment.

How do I get "The Great Skyrim Cache Grab" (Dawnguard Side Quests, page 570 of my guide), to trigger?

Where in Skyrim am I likely to encounter the triggers.

For instance, it states for caches 1-3, Dawnguard Novice, it will be a Wilderness Encounter at night between 11:00pm and 1:00am some where in the Whiterun Hold.

What do I do - just run around randomly till something happens? How do I know if it is a part of the quest if it happens?

The reference in the guide is a little vague to say the least.

There are others that I will get to in the coming days.

Post subject: Re: The Great Skyrim Cache Grab
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
it sounds so vague as telling children at Christmas morning that their presents is somewhere under the tree in the forest and that you can only find them at certain hours.
i can't find such quest on uesp wiki but i have not read thru every one of them but from what you wrote it sounds more like random encounter than quest. sorry that i can't help more cause i don't have guide since i have steam version and don't have dawnguard because i chose not to lose quest people every time i go in town

Post subject: Re: The Great Skyrim Cache Grab
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 & PC & PS4
UESPoints: 0
ciberzombie wrote:
it sounds so vague as telling children at Christmas morning that their presents is somewhere under the tree in the forest and that you can only find them at certain hours.
i can't find such quest on uesp wiki but i have not read thru every one of them but from what you wrote it sounds more like random encounter than quest. sorry that i can't help more cause i don't have guide since i have steam version and don't have dawnguard because i chose not to lose quest people every time i go in town

Yeh, in the guide it calls it The Great Skyrim Cache Grab. It involves 3 NPCs that are found randomly in various Holds at certain times of day.

Each has 3 cache keys to chests/strongboxes or something. I have no idea what because quite frankly this is so obscure and vague I don't really know what to look for.

I believe the character's names are published in the UESP Wiki: In order they are:

1. Hakar - Dawnguard Novice - to be found during a Wilderness Encounter between 11pm and 1am only in Whiterun Hold.

Evidently he is running from two vampires and you have to save him. This is for caches 1-3.

2. Saliah - Dawnguard Outrider - encounter occurs only in Hjaalmarch, the Pale or Winterhold Holds. This is for caches 4-6.

She either has to be pickpocketed or killed to get the keys.

3. Lynoit - Dawnguard Remains - This guy is already dead and surrounded by ash piles, so you just take the key. This is for caches 7-9.

None of the caches are available until the encounter triggers them, even though the guide and the wiki tell you where they will appear.

I've wandered around Whiterun for nearl an hour, adjusting the time to 11pm by waiting, and bugger all is coming up. This quest line is perhaps not the best presented.

There is sort of a vague reference to it on YouTube, but the channel I have looked at talks about 19 encounters. There are only 3 specific ones that we are interested in. I am certain he is looking at something slightly different.

There are many other encounters but they are listed under World Encounters. There's 95 of them so sod that. I have to draw a line somewhere, I am not going to send myself mental!