UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A New Source of Stalhrim - BUGGED OUT!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 & PC & PS4
UESPoints: 0
Just attempted A New Source of Stalhrim.

Got the quest of Fanari Strong-Voice and Deor Woodcutter.

Off I went to the Abandoned Shack and saved Baldor Iron-Shaper who told me to head on upto Northshore Landing to retrieve the Stalhrim Source Map.

I had a minor battle to obtain it, with Ancarion coming off worse for wear.

I headed back to the Skaal Village headed for Baldor who had the quest marker over his head. I tried to talk to him but he won't talk to me. The quest marker remains over his head.

Evidently it is caused by something totally innocuous as not waiting for the two initial characters, (Fanari and Deor), to finish their chat. Something so simple can completely bugger up the whole quest, to point now where I can't even create Stalhrim armour or weaponry. Its not listed as a anything that be created at the blacksmith's forge in the Skaal Village.

So yet another bugged quest. Well done Bethesda.

I'll be glad to see the back of this game.

Post subject: Re: A New Source of Stalhrim - BUGGED OUT!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
Frodo-Baginses wrote:
Evidently it is caused by something totally innocuous as not waiting for the two initial characters, (Fanari and Deor), to finish their chat.
I think interrupting the conversation prevents you from picking up the Quest in the first place. You have the quest so that may not be the problem. (Actually the wiki is not 100% clear on this... so who knows.)

You could try leaving the Smith alone for a while, then try talking to him at different times in different places doing different activities.

Pretty sure I remember some of the Skaal being unresponsive now and then as they wandered around doing stuff in their village.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
My game did this too, at the same point in the quest. I can't recall exactly, but either Baldor doesn't chat at all, or he just has generic dialogue, therefore I am unable to learn how to craft any Stalhrim items.
I don't know if I interrupted the conversation Frodo mentioned, but I was never able to fix it (at least, on the xbox 360).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just re-read the bug section in the wiki article. What you think is dead right.

So what the bloody hell has happened then I wonder, because there is no reference to my predicament.

The quest is quite clear, you can either go in and negotiate/persuade to obtain the map or you can go in gung ho and shoot and slice 'em. I chose the latter without really choosing at all as I am trying to build my skills in combat and armour.

At the end of it all, that should not have made any difference, I should still get the end result.

When I try to talk with the blacksmith, he will not engage. I follow him around like Benny Hill, around the work area, the village, and into his house. All he goes on about is that, "it's a terrible thing" or words to that effect, before telling me to sod off out of his gaff.

I completed the "Gardener of Men" but haven't as far as I know started "At the Summit of Apocrypha". What I do recall is that when I was heading for the kneeling Storn Crag-Strider to give him the book, the two characters discussing the missing blacksmith were sort of in my path, so instead of going straight to Storn, I started the side quest and then went to him.

There's a little note in the game guide under the quest, "At the Summit of Apocrypha". It states hnder caution, "The Skaal aren't a happy bunch now that their elder sharman has been slain. They distrust you and won't offer you their quests or favours until you have finished this quest".

What do you think? Maybe this is the trip up and I've confused the order of things?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Frodo-Baginses wrote:
I completed the "Gardener of Men" but haven't as far as I know started "At the Summit of Apocrypha".
Aha.
The Wiki wrote:
If you have completed The Gardener of Men, but not yet started At the Summit of Apocrypha, Baldor will not give you the correct dialogue in Skaal village to advance this quest
You need to complete At the Summit of Apocrypha before Baldor will give you the dialogue to complete the quest.
So yeah, make some progress in the Dragonborn quest-line and come back later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:04 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well Lord Timster,

It appears you were correct. I've completed The Gardeners of Men and The New Source of Stalhrim has become available.

I can now fashion odds and sods in the new material. If you listen cliser to the dialogue the blacksmith says you can use "his" tools, which would suggest that the forge in the Skaal Village is the only place you can do the engineering. This is not the case. Once you get the ability, you can forge anywhere in Skyrim.

This time the bug correct itself from a misdirect. Really I shouldn't have been able to start a quest that depends on another being finished first, but there are so many instances where this occurs in the game and the quests end up getting stuck in the inventory or not becoming available at all.

It is obvious that a committee designed this game. Probably the same one that designed the camel!

Now all I have to do is find some Stalhrim. So far I've only seen and collected 39 and I've used all of that . How long does it take to respawn?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:50 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You'll have to check the wiki for that.
Personally I never bother with the Stalhrim stuff at all.

Oh, and don't forget to have a chat with that historian bloke in the Skaal camp (if you haven't already).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:37 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
The stalhrim deposits DO respawn but I think it takes a good while. The richest deposit is the stalhrim source that the map points out (close to the very place where you get the map from the Thalmor), and then there's two more deposits (I think to the NW) near some horkers. There's also a couple in Raven Rock mine as well as the entrance to the barrow where you fight Haknir Deathbrand. Benkongerike has one too if memory serves. I'd just make the rounds and then wait for them to respawn until you have the desired amount. One bug that can happen is that you aren't able to mine the deposit. This happens sometimes with the large stalhrim source, and is fixed by fast-traveling to a different area and then returning.