UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Major bug on PS4!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 & PC & PS4
UESPoints: 0
Help!!

I have just started to experience what feels like a major glitch.

The last time I experienced something akin to this was the A Bomb when playing Oblivion on PS3 and PC. Of course if you were on console, (Playstation or XBox 360), you were well and truly bug*ered. Not such a disaster if playjng on PC as you can probably use the console commands to correct the state.

I'm not experiencing the same symptoms of those associated with the A Bomb. It is different in that when the character is being moved, whether in stealth or running, it feels like he is overloaded with items lifted from bodies, chest and other containers along with mined ore and other goods, even though he is well under the weight limit.

I feared that somethjng might occur like this after playing many hours into the game.

I don't know where this leads. I don't know if it will get worse - I doubt very much if will improve.

I also have very little confidence in Bethesda to correct the situation with a patch or update. They certainly couldn't have cared less when I reported the problems I had on PS3 with Oblivion.

So, anyone else having any similar problems.

Post subject: Re: Major bug on PS4!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
Is this occurring on multiple characters? Is the character(s) in question currently suffering from a disease that reduces carry weight?

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
How many total hours have you been playing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'm only level 69.

I've not started the last third of the main quest line, nor have I gotten into Dawnguard but I have ventured to Solstheim and discovered all the locations that aren't quest related.

According to the stats screen, 1462 days have passed. I don't know what that means exactly as I only started the game about 4 months ago, 1462 must mean in-game world time.

I have Beast Blood so again according to the Active Effects screen, I am immune to all diseases.

I don't quite understand what you mean by multiple characters but I've only played the one in this single first playthrough.

The strange thing is I can turn on one day and the game us jerky and turn on the next or another day and it runs and continues to run smoothly with no sign of "jerkiness". This leads me to fear that it is something that is "creeping in" and developing over time with no way to put it right. I'm on PS4.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
Frodo-Baginses wrote:
... the game is jerky and turn on the next or another day and it runs and continues to run smoothly with no sign of "jerkiness"
On the X360 and PS3 problems with frame-rate stuttering / jerkiness seem pretty common on long games. In my experience this is also a sign that Skyrim will soon start randomly freezing / crashing. afaik the only 'solution' on the X360 and PS3 is to start a new game.

I would be surprised if the XB1 and PS4 versions of Skyrim didn't have this exact same problem.

tbh Beth style of games (and this includes Fallout 3 / NV) just don't seem to be a good fit for open-ended play on consoles.

FWIW though 1462 in-game days is really good. My record so far on the X360 is about 350 before the game gets too annoying to play.

Not what you wanted to hear I'd guess but there you have it... :/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am 
Champion
Champion

Save bloating is an unavoidable issue in Bethesda games so it's definitely possible that it's the culprit in this situation.

A lot of mods installed or incompatibility between mods could be an issue as well.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

It's finally happened!

A total crash. I have tried reloading the game at the same save point and it throws up an error - CE-34878.0.

The game was stuttering to a standstill with less and less smooth bits, to the point where before the crash it was becoming frustrating as hell.

I give up with these Bethesda games. They just cannot get it right with the console versions. I shall not bother looking to buy TES VI, if that ever comes out. It just isn't worth the pain and frustration.

I have briefly tried to load the immediate previous save and it has loaded, but not played on. I just shut it down and went out with the dog. I can't be doing with it anymore.

This game isn't for the completionists who are in for the long haul like me. I couldn't even get to the end of the main quest line before problems crept in.

If anyone at Bethesda reads my post, I want my money back! It's the least you can do, because I know for certain, from previous experience with Oblivion you have no absolutely intention of putting the problem right.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
Endorsing piracy is illegal and against forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:03 pm 
Champion
Champion

First of all, let's not promote piracy. I'm 99.9% sure that's against the forum rules, it's pretty much against the rules on literally any forum anywhere.

Second, Frodo, I'm sorry you feel that way, but I think the fact of the matter is that this isn't a universal problem. Plenty of people have 100%'d the game multiple times over. If every single copy of Skyrim was rendered inoperable after a set amount of play then Bethesda would probably be in the midst of one of the biggest gaming media scandals around.

To put it bluntly, you just got unlucky. It happens sometimes.

You still never answered the questions of if you were using mods either. That's a huge factor here.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I am not using mods.

Strangely enough, I already have the PC Legendary Edition, I also have the PS3 version. To top it off I also have access via the Anthology Edition to the Steam Version, so all bases covered. I bought all of these for different reasons. The Anthology was purchased so that at some point, I don't know when, I could play the early forerunners of the Elder Scrolls series. I never got around to thise either. The PS3 version was bought at the same time as the 5th Anniversary Edition of Oblivion which I played till it faltered and that's what put me off playing the PS3 version of Skyrim. A lack of confidence that forced me to buy PC version of Oblivion which played well even though that faltered too. Advantage was it was possible to "repair" it and carry on as though nothing had happened thanks to the console commands and a little subroutine I managed to get through advice on the Nexus community.

I never got around to playing any of the versions until Skyrim Legendary was released on PS4. There were too many other great games out there, such as Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft and the Batman series from Rocksteady. I thought as others did. New gen, superior graphics not to mention the probability that since it had been available for over 5 years on various platforms, that it was now fully beta tested and bug free. Fat chance of that!

I don't know if I have the heart to start this game all over again on another platform. Generally, I am a one-playthrough completionist. I do not have the interest to plough through this game all over again. I'm at level 72. My view of Skyrim is pretty much the same as Oblivion. It is very addictive but frankly not that mentally taxing. I do not rate it anywhere near my top ten.

I have researched the problem briefly and the error code is mentioned in a missive I found which typical of Bethesda shifts the buck to Sony. They are suggesting I check for updates, (my PS4 is fully updated). If that doesn't do the job then I am told to back up my game data on my hard drive and then "reset" my PS4. Of course this would cause me the inconvenience of losing all the saves, DLC etc for all of the other games I have too. Sure I can recover it all given time, but why should I when clearly it is a Bethesda problem and they should investigate it and fix it.

It would appear from what I have picked up so far, I am almost certainly not the only sufferer of this problem. Surely someone can identify with this and share their experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:55 pm 
Champion
Champion

This kind of stuff happens, dude. Software is complicated and programming is really just a bunch of dudes duct-taping a bunch of number sequences together and hoping that it works.

For the record I have had this sort of issue before on several platforms where I've played Bethesda-type games. I've never played any Bethesda releases on the PS4 besides Fallout 4 (which is generally pretty good about save bloat believe it or not), but it's the fact of the matter that your system is a computer and sometimes computers make mistakes.

When I had this issue on my PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas, what ended up helping was doing just what they suggested; resetting the system after a backup. After letting my system clean itself out and putting everything back onto it, things were running much faster and cleaner. Sometimes over the course of running all sorts of different software for years on end, junk files start to stack up and negatively affect a computer's performance. I had my PS3 for about 3 years at the time I did this, meaning it allowed the system to flush out 3 years of garbage files and leftover installation information among other things.

It's easier to fix on a PC because you can directly interact with appropriate files but the concept is still the same.

To 'fix' this issue on Bethesda's end is an astronomical issue that is probably beyond our current technological standards really for major releases like this. Unlike more linear games that among other things do not have fully interactive clutter (all of which is recorded and stored in the game data; if you drop a potato in the bottom left corner of the Bee and Bard the game will remember), open-world games like Skyrim have to record and store data for every single variable that can occur. From what I understand, keeping track of what items are where and maintaining all the variables together are the main causes of save bloating.

It all boils down to this; the volatile, semi-unstable nature of these games are a necessary evil. It's a consequence of allowing them to be so open. Fallout 4 is better about this kind of thing, because it's a newer release. Skyrim is almost six years old and it is running on six year old programming.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'm still soldiering on.

The past couple of weeks have been frustrating to say the least. Some days the graphics/mechanics are smoother than others, other days I just switch it off and go for a walk.

I have now managed to get to level 79, heading for 80, so maybe I can stutter my way through the Ebony Warrior.

When the game is stuttering, I concentrate on tasking things that don't require the free smooth running. When it runs smoothly, I take advantage and base my play on quests.

I'm still trying to level up on some of the Magika skills so that I can get the extra spell tomes from the COW, (College of Winterhold).

I really don't know what the best and optimal method is for levelling so I am using the skills that be "easily ground". To that end I tend to use Speech, which I have now gone legendary twice with, on the basis that I am always selling stuff. Coupled with Pickpocketing, using the city guards as targets and persuasion subjects, I seem to be coasting, comparatively.

When selling my stuff, it is obviously better if I can get the highest price, which allows for faster levelling. Up to yet I have only fohnd one item that is enchanted for obtaining improved prices which happens to be a piece of jewellry which gives me 17%.

I am a little surprised that I haven't found any other similar items that I could slip on to increase my selling capability. Is there any?

I realise that I could disenchanted the ring and learn the enchantment and thence enchant several other items, but experience tells me that you never get the same strength of enchantment on any subsequent items, so because my current item is so unique at the moment, I am wary of destroying it.

Any ideas?

PS: The Masque of Clavicus Vile isn't an option. Unbeknownst to me, I opted against it very early in the game when I killed the mutt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
Frodo-Baginses wrote:
I'm still trying to level up on some of the Magika skills so that I can get the extra spell tomes from the COW, (College of Winterhold).
I really don't know what the best and optimal method is for levelling so I am using the skills that be "easily ground".

If you're wanting to blast through lots and lots of levels for those '5 training slots per level' then I'd recommend Illusion.

You'll need to find/make 4 pieces of gear with a total of Fortify Illusion 100% and/or have the special Dragonborn DLC power that gives you free spell-casting for 30 seconds a day.

Firstly you spam the Muffle spell as you're walking around doing other stuff until you can do the Master Quest and pick up all the Master Level spells. (Illusion 100 possibly required.) Make the skill Legendary.

Then you park yourself somewhere like in the middle of a town or near a dungeon with some enemies outside, wear/trigger your free spell-casting and just cast away with those Master-Level Illusion spells. And watch your levels zip past.

Whiterun and Riften would be obvious choices but Fort Greymoor and Silent Moons Camp work well enough for me also.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I am now topping level 86 and ploughing on.

The glitch I reported: it seems to clear for a session and then the next time I load up, its there again. I am obviously no programming expert but it looks like it a rendering speed problem, but I don t really understand why it occurs on one day and maybe the next and then clears a day or so later where it runs as smooth as the day I started. Then a couple of days kater it occurs again.

There seems tk be a pattern emerging.

With very few big quests remaining, I am hopung I can manage it, but it's not ideal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Lord Timster wrote:
Frodo-Baginses wrote:
I really don't know what the best and optimal method is for levelling so I am using the skills that be "easily ground".

If you're wanting to blast through lots and lots of levels for those '5 training slots per level' then I'd recommend Illusion.

You'll need to find/make 4 pieces of gear with a total of Fortify Illusion 100% and/or have the special Dragonborn DLC power that gives you free spell-casting for 30 seconds a day.

Firstly you spam the Muffle spell as you're walking around doing other stuff until you can do the Master Quest and pick up all the Master Level spells. (Illusion 100 possibly required.) Make the skill Legendary.

Then you park yourself somewhere like in the middle of a town or near a dungeon with some enemies outside, wear/trigger your free spell-casting and just cast away with those Master-Level Illusion spells. And watch your levels zip past.

Whiterun and Riften would be obvious choices but Fort Greymoor and Silent Moons Camp work well enough for me also.

So does this mean, for example obtaining a helmet, armour, gauntlets and boots with say for the sake of argument, 25% Fortify Illusion on each and then just cast away using Detect Life?

Is it a good idea to go Legendary on this to build up perks and levelling for ither skills with a few to maxing out on everything?

Is that indeed mathematically possible?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
i have maxed everything myself and perked every perk i will ever need (exept glitchy ones)