UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issue with Stray Dog
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
So i ended up finding the Stray dog, and he became my follower, but he doesnt come with me, and he has disappeared now. I used the help "Stray" console command to get its id, and did Disable, but it still says i have a dog when trying to buy one at markarth. Im really not sure how to fix this other then getting a mod the removes the follower limit. Is there some way to clear who is following you? (btw, i did placeatme to get Stray to appear but had no conversation options)

Post subject: Re: Issue with Stray Dog
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
I had the same problem. Found a Stray Dog and thought "What a nice doggy! I'll adopt him, take him back to Breezehome and tell him to Stay. A friendly canine companion lounging around the house will give it a nice homely atmosphere."

But he didn't stay, did he? He strayed and, ever since, I can't find him to tell him to "Go Away". As a result, I can't Talk to any OTHER Stray Dogs! Every time I try, I get no dialogue options and their only response is to bark at me. Rapid activations cause them to yap madly, which is annoying.

It's yet another example in the vast list of "features" Bethesda implement best in their games. WE call them BUGS! :roll:

I'm a dog lover in real-life, but I've become a dog hunter/killer in Skyrim, trying to find that particular Stray Dog and kill it in the hope that activating another Stray Dog will work again. Only trouble is, they all look exactly alike and are named exactly alike too, "Stray Dog". One of these days, I might eventually kill the right one. But then what's the point? The next one will just stray off and cause me to go on another near-impossible Skyrim-wide hunt for a moving target!

So, in Skyrim, all I can say is don't even bother with the Stray Dogs. They suffer from an infestation of fleas that make them SO itchy they won't obey you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
H8Ball wrote:
So, in Skyrim, all I can say is don't even bother with the Stray Dogs. They suffer from an infestation of fleas that make them SO itchy they won't obey you.

Amen! I had the same problem and was super distraught. Silly stray dogs...but he did follow me home for quite a long while!

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
man that sucks theres no way to be rid of him. I just got a mod that turns dogs into white wolves and it would go perfectly with my ranger character :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
@Avron: The Stray Dogs obviously behave the same as any other followers. Tell them to Wait Here and after a day or so they get bored and "go home". The snag with this is that a Stray Dog by definition is "homeless" so it can end up "Waiting AT home" ANYWHERE in Skyrim's main landscape. Also, by definition, it's "straying" (wandering) so is almost constantly on the move. So once it's out of sight, you can NEVER know where it is unless you come across it again purely by accident. The bigger snag is that one Stray Dog is identical to any other, making it near impossible to find the same one you told to "Wait Here"!

If I ever find that mangy mutt, he can bark, sit and cock his head questioningly, scratch humorously, wag his tail and look as cute as he likes. I'm STILL gonna yell "BAD BOY!", whack him across the muzzle with his chewy Mammoth Tusk then rub his nose in it (his blood)! :lol: :Twisted Evil:

Come to think of it, if I ever meet a Bethesda employee... ^^^ As above ^^^ :P

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]