UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Skyrim Lore Vampires having babies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:49 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I am working on my mod, and building the history/backstory. (Lady Nicola)

The follower is a Female Vampire, a Daughter of Coldharbour, and a founding Member of the Cyrodiil Vampyrum Order. I have, so far, written 8 pages of lore and back story on her, the who, where, when, how and I have integrated her story into bits of TES lore. To add a major quest to this mod, I need her to have had a child... But there is my problem. In keeping the mod Lore friendly, I need to show , prove or be able to present creditable evidence that in the realm of Skyrim... Female Vampires can have babies.
So here is what I have so far:

Journal of the Lord Lovidicus A Male Vampire fathered a child (sperm worked, so womb could also)

Unofficial Skyrim Elder Scroll pages Lore:Vampire

“The progeny and grand-progeny of a pure-blood may retain their additional abilities but will still be regarded as lower than their sire and grandsire.”

the disease causes one to "die", making a vampire literally undead. This goes against my point

A Bloodcursed Elven Arrow is an elven arrow that has been tainted with the blood of a Daughter of Coldharbour, a female vampire created by Molag Bal himself.

SO female vampires do have blood!
A Male Vampire fathered a child (sperm worked, so womb should also)

Does anyone have lore or TES references that would backup my stance that Female Vampires can have children? (I am not looking so much for opinions, we all have those, I looking for "Fantasy Fact" or TES lore.)

Post subject: Re: Skyrim Lore Vampires having babies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
In Skyrim there's a young Breton girl in the Dark Brotherhood (Babette) who's actually a vampire and the oldest member of the Dark Brotherhood. Although she wasn't born a vampire, the fact that she died and stopped growing any further when she became a vampire might be a point against your backstory, at least if the daughter is supposed to be a full vampire, because she would presumably have died as an embryo and not grown any further.

On the other hand, in Oblivion The Gray Prince (Agronak gro-Malog) is apparently not a vampire himself, even though he's the half-blooded spawn of a vampire, so he was born living and matured normally.

So if the daughter is only a half-blooded vampire by birth, she might have been born living and matured normally. You might still need to have some explanation as to how the mother was able to become pregnant and give birth even though she's a vampire, because presumably it would be extremely unusual for a female vampire to become pregnant and give birth. So you might explain that she used some sort of spells that allowed an embryo to quicken in her womb despite her undead condition, perhaps even as some sort of special favor from a Daedric prince or something like that.

If it's important to your mod that the daughter be a vampire as well, then you could have her become infected with vampirism later in life, after she'd physically matured to whatever age you want her to be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:08 pm 
Associate
Associate

So here is the internal back story about the child, so far. (have not worked out how to convey all of this to the player.)

Lady Nicola was a "turned" when she was 28, during her vampire life she fell in love, with a human, and they did "get busy". Their child is therefore a half-breed, some human characteristics and some vampire traits. (I am going to use this to explain certain things like age progression as well as being from the Cyrodiilic bloodline, which honors Clavicus Vile for giving them the ability to blend in with mortals. Part of this blending would be aging as desired).

The 2 points I feel I need to cover are,
1. Can a vampire physically conceive and carry a child (womb functions)
2. How can the child vampire grow and not age or age slower... can't have infants pooping in their diapers and then attacking the nanny!

(1) As for a Vampire giving birth to a child, so far I am using the "Journal of the Lord Lovidicus" as reference that being undead does not mean the body's organs cease to work. He impregnated an Orc, he might be crazy but the his organ worked. I am also inferring that being "undead" has more to do with no soul, than physically dead.... (referencing the fact that Molag Bal wanted to cheat death there by cheating Arkay..."Bal, whose sphere is the wanton oppression and entrapment of mortal souls, sought to thwart Arkay, from the writtings Opusculus Lamae Bal ta Mezzamortie". Because vampires do have blood (using the Bloodcursed Elven Arrow quest), they do have feelings, they can eat (as you pointed out Babette, if you watch her she does eat, "She spends all of her time wandering around the Sanctuary, preferably near her alchemy lab, occasionally eating, sleeping or relaxing on a chair." Not that vampires need food sustenance to survive. They are Souless, not dead hence UNdead.

(2) This is a little harder, the standard belief is Vampires don't age, however I believe it more that they hide their age... kill a vampire and most turn to ash (or dust) in other word he returns to his true age. Also as a Cyrodiil Vampyrum Order member, the tenet with Clavicus Vile, gives them the ability to blend into mortal society undetected. With this "blessing" from a Daedric Prince it has been discovered that Baby Vampires can grow and age until they discover they can control the aging process. ( I can't really find any Lore to support this. But that why this is called a fantasy).

I was hoping someone else had supporting lore or references... Maybe I'll be a trail blazer 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:50 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
I know it's my own suggestion, but I kind of like the idea that the daughter was able to grow "normally" due to being half human and not a true vampire. (The Gray Prince didn't even know he was half vampire, so evidently being half vampire doesn't necessarily cause one to crave blood or exhibit typical vampire behavior and physical susceptibilities such as being burned by sunlight-- although we don't know how much the other half makes a difference, such as half orc versus half elf or half human.)

Then, when she had reached a certain age, she either discovered her mother's secret (if it was something that her mother had kept from her) and decided to become a vampire herself; or perhaps one of her mother's vampire associates became "interested" in her and bit her, either to spite the mother despite the mother's attempts to shelter her daughter, or for some other reason; or maybe the mother wanted the daughter to wait until she was "mature" enough to fully understand the pros and cons of being a vampire before choosing whether to keep living as a "mortal" or become one of the "undead"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion Skyrim
I have a idea for your mod:
Soul Gems
Perhaps a baby could be conceived but to grow and develop; a baby needs to draw life from the mother. Since the female vampire is not technically alive, this can't happen. To provide a alternate source of life, a filled soul gem must be kept in the womb with the embryo. If the soul gem should become emptied by the fetus, the embryo would suffer hunger pangs and become distressed. If a new filled soul gem is not "provided", the baby will suffer final death.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 pm 
Associate
Associate

I just about have this sorted out now... I am moving on with the baby being full blooded Vampire and some other details.

The thought of my female Vampire follower having to shove Soul Gems up her... into her womb, seems , well a little perverted. So no, don't think so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:38 pm 
Champion
Champion

The more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure that vampires "don't age." After all, they aren't dead per se. And I wonder if the manner in which they were "turned" makes a difference?

In other words, there are plenty of cases in vampire literature and movies where a victim dies and is buried, but then rises from the dead, so that could be one type of vampire-- someone would died from a vampire attack and then rose from the dead as a vampire-- in which case it would be normal to assume that no further aging occurs.

But there are also cases-- at least in the Elder Scrolls games-- where someone contracts the vampiric disease and isn't cured in time, so they become a vampire after being ill for a certain length of time. I don't think they "die" per se, unless perhaps they die in their sleep and then very quickly rise again as a vampire. So that could be another type of vampire-- someone who transitioned gradually to being a vampire, without actually dying and being buried. In that case it might be reasonable to expect that further aging might occur-- perhaps not aging from a mature young adult to an ancient geriatric, since the vampirism keeps that at bay; but at least being able to mature from a baby or young child to a "fully grown" adult?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:51 am 
Associate
Associate

yea ... See I go along those lines, vampires are not dead, they are UNDEAD, and I think it has more to do with losing one's soul, not ones life. The Soul Cairn quest.. Serana tells you the Soul cairn wants a soul and since we Vampire have no soul... blah blah blah. But I worked out the details and "facts" about the baby and her having a child. So it's all good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 pm 
Associate
Associate

amekassa45 wrote:
flyddon wrote:
yea ... See I go along those lines, vampires are not dead, they are UNDEAD, and I think it has more to do with losing one's soul, not ones life. The Soul Cairn quest.. Serana tells you the Soul cairn wants a soul and since we Vampire have no soul... blah blah blah. But I worked out the details and "facts" about the baby and her having a child. So it's all good.

So if the daughter is only a half-blooded vampire by birth, she might have been born living and matured normally. You might still need to have some explanation as to how the mother was able to become pregnant and give birth even though she's a vampire, because presumably it would be extremely unusual for a female vampire to become pregnant and give birth. So you might explain that she used some sort of spells that allowed an embryo to quicken in her womb despite her undead condition, perhaps even as some sort of special favor from a Daedric prince or something like that.

Well as I said in my first post.

Journal of the Lord Lovidicus A Male Vampire fathered a child (sperm worked, so womb could also).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
^ I think you might be talking to a spambot or something.

It has just taken a paragraph of text from one of SeaGtGruff's earlier posts (Jan 26).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm 
Champion
Champion

Ha! I saw that post and didn't even realize the person had copied a paragraph from one of my replies! Good catch, Lord Timster! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:16 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
Yeah, newer spam bots are doing that to try to pass as human. It's really maddening when they start using a pool of responses like cleverbot.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: III, IV, V, online, V.2
Platform: Ps3 Xbox360 PS4 PC PS5
Biologically id argue that the womb needs to be living to incubate the child from the energy of the mother (Which could mean that Vampiric feeding is an absolute Necessity to produce a child if you wanted to push it). The sperm would simply impregnate without the need to actually form a nurturing habitat for an embryo. Basically what im saying is that because vampire sperm works it doesnt mean a vampires womb would. On a more interesting topic COULD Seranna have sired a demi prince with Molag Bal? Or is the Ritual involved in daughter of coldharbour purely Domination without any biological produce? Can a Daedric prince just choose to impregnate or is it a product of coupling? Questions questions questions....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 pm 
Associate
Associate

Well, Fantasy Reality is not an exact anything... You just want it somewhat believable or in the realm of possible. I am not trying to say a Vampire can swallow an apple and then birth a human child. Even in a fantasy world that would be unbelievable.

The mod has not moved much since I can't find a female Voice actress to work with me on this.

I also noted this is my 39th play through of Skyrim... once you accept the Gift from Lord Hakon and you wake up in the other room. If you ask what happened, he says

player: What happened? How did I get here?
Lord Harkon: "My blood is potent. At first, the body is overwhelmed by it. After my bite, you collapsed and fell into a slumber. Now your flesh has acclimated to the new blood that courses through your veins. I assure you, no harm was done. In truth, your strength surprises me. Not all mortals can withstand my embrace."

So here is another suggestion that you don't really die, even though your an undead.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
Tsukihime makes the distinction between True Ancestor vampires and Dead Apostles. Dead Apostles are undead, don't age beyond when they were turned, and cannot make babies the normal way. True Ancestors are essentially demigods, can control their age to be higher or lower as needed, and can make babies the normal way. However, both Castlevania and ES has non-ancestral vampires make babies, so I don't know anymore. Though, in both cases, both of those babies turned out pretty emo, so I don't consider that a plus.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 pm 
Associate
Associate

I am sorry, but what does Tsukihime have to do with Skyrim or Skyrim Lore?

As I read Tsukihime, it is some Japanese eroge doujin visual novel.

EDIT: Ok so second reading of your post, I think I see what your saying, OTHER media portrays vampires in different "classes" true vampires vs enthralls sort of thing. (i.e. a daughter of Coldharbour being a true Vampire vs some woman being bite and turned. I can see that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:56 am 
Guardian
Guardian

flyddon wrote:
(1) As for a Vampire giving birth to a child, so far I am using the "Journal of the Lord Lovidicus" as reference that being undead does not mean the body's organs cease to work. He impregnated an Orc, he might be crazy but the his organ worked. I am also inferring that being "undead" has more to do with no soul, than physically dead.... (referencing the fact that Molag Bal wanted to cheat death there by cheating Arkay..."Bal, whose sphere is the wanton oppression and entrapment of mortal souls, sought to thwart Arkay, from the writtings Opusculus Lamae Bal ta Mezzamortie". Because vampires do have blood (using the Bloodcursed Elven Arrow quest), they do have feelings, they can eat (as you pointed out Babette, if you watch her she does eat, "She spends all of her time wandering around the Sanctuary, preferably near her alchemy lab, occasionally eating, sleeping or relaxing on a chair." Not that vampires need food sustenance to survive. They are Souless, not dead hence UNdead.

Vampires being soulless is just some church propaganda garbage, spouted by hunters and other self-righteous vigilantes to justify essentially genocide. If they had no animus, then they would not be able to move. Their bodies are ageless, but they have souls, like all mortals. Daedra, of course, have vestiges, but vampires are still ultimately mortals with "damned flesh". All "life forms" need some kind of animus. Even clockwork constructs need soul gems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:00 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im of the notion that Vampiric seed can work but only on a living womb. Given the evidence against, i dont think vampires can incubate offspring like mortal women. To be honest its fitting as well given the nature that they need to feed of the living.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 pm 
Associate
Associate

ToTheMadhouse wrote:
Im of the notion that Vampiric seed can work but only on a living womb. Given the evidence against, i dont think vampires can incubate offspring like mortal women. To be honest its fitting as well given the nature that they need to feed of the living.

Ok. Question..."Given the evidence against" What evidence have you found? This is what I wish to disprove or have a rebuttal ready. I have made my mod (80% complete), which is what this was all about and have almost completed the back story. So any evidence (in the Skyrim or ES realm) would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

To be fair, the issue of dhampirs have always been kind of wonky, especially dhampirs as emo hypocritical bishies. In the original stories, dhampirs were literal slimes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampir dhampir possessed a "slippery, jelly-like body

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:25 pm 
Associate
Associate

MidbossVyers wrote:
To be fair, the issue of dhampirs have always been kind of wonky, especially dhampirs as emo hypocritical bishies. In the original stories, dhampirs were literal slimes: possessed a "slippery, jelly-like body

OK so are you off your meds again? Have you been seeing the black helicopters again. Here's what you do... make sure your tinfoil hat is on, take your meds and stop watching tik tok.

Seriously, I am trying to keep this topic in the Skyrim/ES realm...hence the "So any evidence (in the Skyrim or ES realm) would be helpful.".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:27 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Then it's really only 1 emo gladiatorial orc that you get any evidence from, which is barely at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:41 pm 
Associate
Associate

Well... Umm ... ok yea you got a point there :wat:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok so Agronak`s father passed his seed to couple with a living women resulting in successful birth. But as we see with babbette and other vampires they cannot age or grow where as Agronak has, relate that to fetal growth (or lack of). I`d also argue on a more mature theme that this also is befitting of molag bals domain, specifically under the context of domination and rape as his spheres.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:57 pm 
Associate
Associate

ToTheMadhouse wrote:
Ok so Agronak`s father passed his seed to couple with a living women resulting in successful birth. But as we see with babbette and other vampires they cannot age or grow where as Agronak has, relate that to fetal growth (or lack of). I`d also argue on a more mature theme that this also is befitting of molag bals domain, specifically under the context of domination and rape as his spheres.

So Not to rehash an old discussion, but I have not found ANY example of a vampire birth, I have found and as you point out a child vampire (not aging). But to me and in my argument, I am saying being born into vampirism and being turned into or infected into a vampire are two different things and as such should/could have different results, aging, different feeding requirements, and even fire resistance. I don't plan to go that far and create some new vampire race (thinking the Blade movies). But my story for my mod has the main follower/companion , female vampire, having a child and there is the whole drama with that... you know baby's daddy, child support, visiting rights and blood sucking in-laws.