UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Roleplaying in Skyrim
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I like both micro and macro roleplaying, although I tend to use mods for the micro roleplaying stuff.

The reason is that I tend to lose track of time when I'm inside buildings or dungeons where I can't see the sun. When I'm playing sneaky characters, clearing a larger dungeon can take me several in-game days. Add to that the time I spend in the inventories of my character or the followers I usually have with me, and I get totally confused about the amount of time that has passed. So mods that keep track of my character's needs are much appreciated. I currently use Imp's needs mod for the hunger/sleep/thirst thing and Frostfall for survival gameplay.

Besides that, I like to play my game slowly. My characters never run or gallop unless the circumstances absolutely demand it. They may use carriages to get from one city to another, but fast-travel is a no-go (unless I have to deal with a bug, such as a lost follower).

Where macro roleplaying is concerned, my characters usually have a pretty detailed background and a matching personality. I pick the quests I do and the NPCs my characters like to deal with to match the personality of the character. For example, my Nord prefers to trade loot at Warmaiden's or Belethor's when in Whiterun, while my Dunmer tries to sell goods at the Drunken Huntsman first. I also pick my followers according to the tastes of my characters; the Nord, for example, would never hire Jenassa, while she is definitely an option (maybe even marriage candidate) for my Dunmer (who currently adventures with Faendal).

As for a specific build, I've decided to play my new Dunmer as a nomad. I've given her a background as an Ashlander refugee from Morrowind. The concept essentially means that she's not going to buy (or build) any houses. She owns what she and her followers can carry on their backs. I might use safe storage at guild headquarters for a few select items (such as items from Daedric quests), but that will be limited to very few items. She'll prefer camping out in the wild to sleeping at inns (although I might break that rule in the colder northern holds - I have to see how having Frostfall plays out with that build).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, all DLC, Oblivion, GoTY and aniversary, arena
Platform: X360/PC, X360/PC, PC.
UESPoints: 2
Dark Heart wrote:
She'll prefer camping out in the wild to sleeping at inns (although I might break that rule in the colder northern holds - I have to see how having Frostfall plays out with that build).

Carry a lot of firewood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
CBR JGWRR wrote:
Dark Heart wrote:
She'll prefer camping out in the wild to sleeping at inns (although I might break that rule in the colder northern holds - I have to see how having Frostfall plays out with that build).

Carry a lot of firewood.

I do that already. Faendal has 40-ish pieces in his inventory right now :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:00 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3(mostly PS3)
Other Profiles: Some may know me as Gam3rzRus
If I'm playing a good aligned character, when I encountered a skooma dealer and after I either took his stuff from him dead or alive, I would drop it into a river and get rid of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, Skyrim.
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
I always role play that my character is best friends with Arcadia in Whiterun, and that even if he is off doing Daedric quests or doing quests at the College of Winterhold, he'll always check up on her once in a while. Even when he delivers the frost salts to her and is allowed to take things from her shop, he never does, as he knows she needs her stock. I like to think that they tell each other stories over late night ales, and though the Dragonborn's are so much more exciting, he is always interested in what Arcadia has to say.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
I have just started playing but I have been attempting to make a point of eating, drinking and sleeping at normal times. Now that I own a house, I store most of my stuff there, along with food and drinks.. When I go to leave, I make sure to get some food out so that I have some, but I will hunt and fish in order to get food (making sure to cook it before eating) or getting crops and cheese to eat it.

I also try to make sure not to kill people that I am not supposed to be killing (part of quest or a hit).

My hardest problem is making sure I find a place to sleep. Mostly I will find any free bed to sleep in, but if I can't, I will pay for a room.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:20 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Skyrim
No fast travel is an obvious one. It also makes the entire game more fun, and makes horses necessary. I also don't travel at night, unless I absolutely have to (I've just finished a quest and need to get back home). When in a city or town, I change down into something more appropriate, and if I carry a weapon at all, it's usually ornate. When riding, I wear appropriate clothing, preferably something with a hood. I don't tend to use overly complicated armor, preferring simple armor like the Thieves Guild Leather Armor to Glass or Dragon Bone.

Founding member of the Weasel Forums Universe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Sleeping/eating etc. when appropriate, but the rest is typically relevant to the character. For example, my Nightblade travels during the night. However, I DO develop back stories and choose appropriate names to really bring the character to life. My favorites are my Bosmer agent and my Breton Nightblade. I have SEVERAL though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3(mostly PS3)
Other Profiles: Some may know me as Gam3rzRus
Whatever race I play as, it's always racist to other races. Maybe not in the situation of hate, but in the situation of favoring.