UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: dwemer theory *spoilers*
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:41 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
jros83 wrote:
the Dwemer are a massive plot device and will make no overt appearances in any future installment of TES. the "truth" of what happened to them is, and will always be, purposely vague, as the best "fluff" is always vague "fluff."

this isn't my wish at all, and it would be nice if I end up being wrong.

that's my 0.02 Septims

We know a lot about how they disappeared, though. There was a quite lengthy optional quest in Morrowind to learn as much as you possibly can. Most players didn't do that quest, for good reason. It was one of the two crazy Mages' Guild quests that the Arch Mage gave you, and he was insane. He simply told you "Go find out what happened to the Dwarves" without giving you any sort of direction whatsoever. Many players assumed this was a joke, but the quest is actually finishable. I'll admit I had to use online guides and such to find out how to finish it, but what you find out is actually quite a bit.

[Note that despite being formatted as an "interview" at the Imperial Library, the dialogue of all these people except Xan and Sinder Velvin is NPC dialogue from Morrowind. This is the dialogue you get when speaking to certain people about Dwemer, without and then with the proper books.]

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
i remember finishing that quest in TES3 and thinking the fact that there were dust piles and ghosts in the ruins meant they had destroyed themselves.. however these are not around in Skyrim so I am not sure

the most interesting addition to the puzzle for me is what Hermaeus Mora says about the Dwemer when i finished his quest, it is vague yet informed lol.. the dawnguard material is good as well but we're perilously close to losing the mystery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
The ghosts would actually be a seeming contradiction if we assume ghosts and souls are the same things, but we get a few little lore hints scattered throughout TES games that a ghost might be only a part of one's soul, so it's plausible the ghost guardians of Dwemer cities and laboratories aren't the parts of their souls that disappeared.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
i like to think that the Falmer cleaned the ashes away and destroyed all the ghosts ages before the Skyrim events took place.

yeah, interesting thought about them being parts of souls left behind. That's also what a lot of people believe 'real' ghosts are in real life

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2