UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Season Pass
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
It goes without saying that the season pass for Fallout 4 has caused a mixed reaction. Most people were pretty upset with what was offered with it, many thought that it would include more expansions than it did, and many wanted a lot more out of it.

So we're almost definitely going to see a season pass for the next ES game, because almost every game does season passes, and Bethesda made a lot of money off of this one. And while it is nice that there will be a more guaranteed period of development, that period of development was basically already guaranteed.

So I have a few questions tying into this:

1) Will you buy the almost inevitable season pass?
2) Will you buy it if their is a price raise announced for it after a certain point?
3) Exactly what scope of expansions do you expect out of it?
For example, large scale is like Dragonborn/Shivering Isles/Bloodmoon. Medium would be Dawnguard/Knights of the Nine/Tribunal. Small would be Hearthfire/Battlehorn/Firemoth. And "should have been free with an update" would be Horse Armor.
4) Will your expectations for expansions be higher because you already bought them?

I just want to see how we will feel about this BEFORE its announced, because it's almost a guarantee.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

Post subject: Re: The Season Pass
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 am 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
1. No. I dislike the idea of dropping cash on something that I have no idea what it could be. They are often expsensive and I flat out refuse to pay £20(seems to be the average price over here) for something that could be be horse armour mark 2.
2. N/A due to answer one.
3. For Fallout 4? As an outsider, I was expecting the usual Bethesda DLC. 3 story add-ons. One being the Hearthfire of Fallout 4 but that is purely based on Skyrim, which i feel is a suitable game to compare it on. 3, I could try to compare it but it's all story content and Skyrim was the last product they worked on thus me feeling I can compare it using that DLC model. There's 1 story add on, 3 crafting based and Nuka World. Nuka World seems to be disappointing. Let's compare it to Skyrim. Dawnguard. Hearthfire and Dragonborn. 2 add-ons with Dragonborn being the bulkier of the two. 1 Crafting(Ish) add-on that introduces more then just building a home. Adoption is in it as well along with patches. Quite a bit of a concerning difference. Kinda a lot of waste potential with Fallout 4. The Commonwealth with all it's tech. I would have used New Vegas a comparasion but that was by Obisdian and I feel it's better to use a Bethesda developed game.
I am concerned that the days of massive expansions are truly dead in RPG and story add-ons will become less and less. Dragonborn sized Add-ons should be the smallest size. I would be rather disappointed if TESVI gets 1 story add-on and the rest is all minor stuff that adds features to the game. I would love it but be disappointed due to no more adventures. Heck, I was a bit disappointed we didn't get a Shivering Isles sized expansion. Dragonborn could be argued that it is but it never really felt like it. It, to me feels like a massive add-on.
4.I would expect to get a lot of story content if I paid for a Season Pass and I would be a bit miffed at Fallout 4(using as an example) due to the poor ratio of story to crafting. It does make me want to continue waiting for GOTY/Complete editions as it is ironically, cheaper to do so in the long run. Skyrim:LE, it cost me £20. Fallout 4? I'm sure i could get it for £20. The season pass is more or less that price. I've not checked but they are often not cheap.

But TESVI does not need any season passes. If TESVI launches and we get day one DLC followed by DLC before the end of month 1, I'll be very worried. Oh and if Horse Armour becomes DLC for it. It better contain a lot of variety. I would most likely get the Season Pass because I love TES and it would be far too tempting to not get it against my better judgement.

If Microtransactions make it into TESVI, that will be extremely disappointing, potentially ruin immersion and annoying. ESO has implemented it well because it's an MMO. TESVI? It would stick out like a sore thumb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:01 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
I'll obviously be getting a theoretical TES season pass for wiki purposes, but more casual players probably shouldn't. It's not good practice to pre-order stuff in general, and considering the poor value of the FO4 pass I'm not convinced it'll be worth it for people who don't mind waiting for the GotY. Not like anyone has to worry about TES6 for many years though, so who knows.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:32 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, XBOX, 360
UESPoints: 2
So long as they keep up the current trend of winning all kinds of GOTY accolades and follow up with a Legendary - style re-release, I'll buy. A season pass is a value-less proposition for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:03 pm 
Wiki Admin
Wiki Admin

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, Pc
UESPoints: 10
I actually have zero issues with the fallout 4 dlc and season pass. Farharbor was a good expansion that was large enough that it likely would have cost $20 if it came out at the same time as SI. Nukaworld would likely be $10, and the others $5 worth of content. They gave everyone plenty of warning before upping the price, so if you owned fallout 4 and didn't by the season price before the price went up, that's almost your own fault. At the original price point, $30, it was well worth it to purchase the season pass. Even after the price hike, the season pass basically acts as a bundle of all dlc with a slight discount for buying them all together. I'm not sure what any of the anger is about.... It seems like a perfect price for the content provided, and in fact is leaps and bounds better than the content you get for other games from their season passes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:26 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 0
1/2) Sure, to go along with my pre order and likely midnight release attendance. FO4's season pass had a lower introductory price, and it would be nice to see that return if TES goes the season pass route.

3) With respect to scale it will probably include one large expansion and a handful of other addons. Could be two medium-ish ones like Dragonborn/Dawnguard plus the handful of inevitable crafting/settlement stuff. The price point could be a key tell on the scope of their DLC plans.

4) Expectations would be the same for the season pass as with a day one purchase. Pre order or day one purchase is just de rigueur for Bethesda titles.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:19 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Will Zurmacht wrote:
plus the handful of inevitable crafting/settlement stuff

Don't even... TT.TT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:38 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Everything 'cept ESO and Travels
Platform: Linux Personal Console
UESPoints: 16
1) No, in all honesty I think the whole pre-order idea is stupid to begin with, and that goes doubly so for pre-ordering DLC.
2) Same as above. (Little side rant here, but the point of the season pass is that it's double-blind: I pay in blind, and you don't know what you're making. If you raise the price halfway through because "what's in here is really cool" then that is, at the least, bad planning)
3) Depends on the price. A Big and a Medium with a smattering of free DLCs for around $25 would be ideal, but I think a Big, Medium, Little (like Skyrim) for $45 is more likely.
4) ¯\_( .. )_/¯

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:55 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion: GotY, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 4
UESPoints: 0
Will you buy the almost inevitable season pass? Absolutely not. I didn't touch any of the Workshop add ons for Fallout 4, except for the Vault. Even then I absolutely hated it. If I get any DLC for the next TES game, it'll only be the core expansions. Add ons on par with what Fallout 4 offered are not worth my money at all.
Will you buy it if there is a price raise announced for it after a certain point? No. Nor will I buy it after the price has been raised. The amount of content included in Fallout 4 was not worth the increased price in my opinion.
Exactly what scope of expansions do you expect out of it?
For example, large scale is like Dragonborn/Shivering Isles/Bloodmoon. Medium would be Dawnguard/Knights of the Nine/Tribunal. Small would be Hearthfire/Battlehorn/Firemoth. And "should have been free with an update" would be Horse Armor.
In a perfect world, I would expect one large scale, two medium scale, and a small scale that would all top what was offered with Skyrim and Fallout 4. In reality, my expections are one large scale, one medium, and a couple of "should have been free" add ons on par with Fallout 4.
Will your expectations for expansions be higher because you already bought them? If were to buy them, then probably.

Unionhack wrote:
Your religion does not make you better than other people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:43 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind
UESPoints: 7
I actually like the season pass idea. It worked out that the dlc content was a higher value than $60 can buy in this inflated age. I do hope they do the same for TES 6 because it makes things easier. Steam downloads the dlcs right away and you don't even have to think about it. And for those who don't buy all the dlcs....well...you're losing money buying them individually. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind
UESPoints: 7
The SheoDovah wrote:
1. No. I dislike the idea of dropping cash on something that I have no idea what it could be. They are often expsensive and I flat out refuse to pay £20(seems to be the average price over here) for something that could be be horse armour mark 2.
3. For Fallout 4? As an outsider, I was expecting the usual Bethesda DLC. 3 story add-ons. One being the Hearthfire of Fallout 4 but that is purely based on Skyrim, which i feel is a suitable game to compare it on. 3, I could try to compare it but it's all story content and Skyrim was the last product they worked on thus me feeling I can compare it using that DLC model. There's 1 story add on, 3 crafting based and Nuka World. Nuka World seems to be disappointing. Let's compare it to Skyrim. Dawnguard. Hearthfire and Dragonborn. 2 add-ons with Dragonborn being the bulkier of the two. 1 Crafting(Ish) add-on that introduces more then just building a home. Adoption is in it as well along with patches. Quite a bit of a concerning difference. Kinda a lot of waste potential with Fallout 4. The Commonwealth with all it's tech. I would have used New Vegas a comparasion but that was by Obisdian and I feel it's better to use a Bethesda developed game.
I am concerned that the days of massive expansions are truly dead in RPG and story add-ons will become less and less. Dragonborn sized Add-ons should be the smallest size. I would be rather disappointed if TESVI gets 1 story add-on and the rest is all minor stuff that adds features to the game. I would love it but be disappointed due to no more adventures. Heck, I was a bit disappointed we didn't get a Shivering Isles sized expansion. Dragonborn could be argued that it is but it never really felt like it. It, to me feels like a massive add-on.
4.I would expect to get a lot of story content if I paid for a Season Pass and I would be a bit miffed at Fallout 4(using as an example) due to the poor ratio of story to crafting. It does make me want to continue waiting for GOTY/Complete editions as it is ironically, cheaper to do so in the long run. Skyrim:LE, it cost me £20. Fallout 4? I'm sure i could get it for £20. The season pass is more or less that price. I've not checked but they are often not cheap.

But TESVI does not need any season passes. If TESVI launches and we get day one DLC followed by DLC before the end of month 1, I'll be very worried. Oh and if Horse Armour becomes DLC for it. It better contain a lot of variety. I would most likely get the Season Pass because I love TES and it would be far too tempting to not get it against my better judgement.

If Microtransactions make it into TESVI, that will be extremely disappointing, potentially ruin immersion and annoying. ESO has implemented it well because it's an MMO. TESVI? It would stick out like a sore thumb.

Why do you constantly criticize something you haven't played/possess first hand experience about? It seriously boggles my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:27 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Everything 'cept ESO and Travels
Platform: Linux Personal Console
UESPoints: 16
Dohva. wrote:
The SheoDovah wrote:

Why do you constantly criticize something you haven't played/possess first hand experience about? It seriously boggles my mind.
I don't have first-hand experience wacking a hornet's nest with a stick :wink:.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
AKB wrote:
2) Will you buy it if their is a price raise announced for it after a certain point?
4) Will your expectations for expansions be higher because you already bought them?

1. Almost certainly. I don't have any problem with pre-ordering something if it's a good value proposition.
2. As with the Fallout 4 Season Pass, I'd probably buy it prior to any announced price increase comes into effect.
3. I think Skyrim is a good indication, given how limited its DLC/Expansions were. It seems that this is a well-established trend, and we should expect 1 large expansion, another fairly substantial update and any number of smaller content packs. To be honest, I'm happy enough with that model.
4. Not particularly. Bethesda is a company that is fairly well-respected, so it's a fairly safe bet that they'll continue to produce good content.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:11 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (All PC)
Platform: PC, 3DS
UESPoints: 1
AKB wrote:
4) Will your expectations for expansions be higher because you already bought them?.

1. Going by what Bethesda has given us for DLC in the last couple of games they have released, I feel no compulsion to do so...Number 3 actually ties into my why

2. No. I don't buy into that tactic, it's easy to see why they do it, to drive sales, so I will intentionally avoid it if they do this. And will only consider it on the remote chance they actually mean what they promise, and not quit six months down the line

3. I actually expect a lot of promises, but very little delivery. Fallout 4 has some DISMAL DLC, Far Harbor was a great start, but the rest of the DLC (Save Nuka World) were minor additions. Not exactly thought out that well either.

I really feel like the scope they want, but what they actually push out is widely inconsistent, and they still act like they promised everything and more. Yeah yeah, they are a business first, but I don't have to like it.

4. If I buy a product beforehand, it tends to be because I bought into what they said. I did this with F4, and they underwhelmed me. So yes, when I drop money, I tend to have high expectations, but it also means I believe in the people behind it. My faith in Bethy is a little shaken as of late though. So my expectations with them have dropped, and I'll be more hesitant at buying the DLC....Main games, probably not so much though.

First post to this in two months, woot!

Heard it here, folks!
Formerly known as FireAcolyte, but now twice as awesome
UESP's Burning Marshmallow