UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Todd Howard confirms TES VI is a long way off
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
ToTheMadhouse wrote:
Let me just clear up here, I didn't mean that it wasn't a commercial success. The game sold sure, Still does. What I mean is that with many people who came from previous entries now not generating hype, if Bethesda or who ever takes up their role as developer decides to pander to the highest demographic they are going to end up in a self destructive path in regards of content and quality. I'm sure you're probably aware of such pages as "Subhumans of the Elderscrolls fanbase" etc on Facebook. If the fantasy they bring into light has become The Elderscrolls new selling audience then I can't imagine anything good coming from it. That is what I meant,not that it hadnt sold units. As the old saying goes "theres more to life than money" and I'd say that quality content qualifies especially from a creative industry that has proven in the past it can provide

I had never heard of "Subhumans of the Elderscrolls fanbase" before. From what I can see, it's a Facebook group based around mocking fans that it considers to be of a lower level of knowledge on the series, with a smattering of memes thrown in.

Let me just say that the traffic spike from ESV was so intense here the site was barely usable until we had to permanently change some details with our ISP. We still have people talking about ESV here every day, still adding more into it, because it is a fantastic game to most people. A lot of people love ESV, and if you don't like it, that's fine, don't let other people color your opinion if you don't want them too. I happen to be in the category of people who enjoy it and every game, going back to Arena. The games in the main series have all been single player so far after all, so you don't need to worry about the "quality" of the fans. I personally don't like the notion of showing people the door because they have trouble understanding things like the distinction between Akatosh and Alduin, which is a relative softball compared to some questions in the series.

And the whole reason for delaying the next game for as long as they had has to do with quality, what you say you want. Todd "The God" Howard literally stated that the technology did not exist to make the ES game he wanted to make, so he wasn't going to make it yet. That is the kind of uncompromising vision that makes him such a respected industry leader. He could have compromised and made something similar to Skyrim and made more money than anyone could spend in their lifetime, realistically, but he will not, because he actually wants to create something. In fact, everything about waiting to work on a project says they want to do it for "quality" and "content" purposes over the easily attained "money".

As for fans generating hype, well, I know for a fact that the traffic jump we'll see on the announcement of ESVI will only be beaten by the release and following weeks of ESVI being out.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:37 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Everything 'cept ESO and Travels
Platform: Linux Personal Console
UESPoints: 16
AKB wrote:
I personally don't like the notion of showing people the door because they have trouble understanding things like the distinction between Akatosh and Alduin, which is a relative softball compared to some questions in the series.
I'll agree with that, but I reserve the right to go fisticuffs with anyone who says "I can't wait for the next Skyrim game!" :P
AKB wrote:
And the whole reason for delaying the next game for as long as they had has to do with quality, what you say you want. Todd "The God" Howard literally stated that the technology did not exist to make the ES game he wanted to make, so he wasn't going to make it yet.
Bethesda could, alternatively, try optimizing the code they use :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:09 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Arena, Oblivion, Daggerfall, Skyrim
Platform: PC, DOSBox
UESPoints: 2
Speaking as a software developer, my opinion is that part of the reason why the code in most TES games ends up being less-than-optimized is because it's designed to be modular. You'd be surprised how much that complicates things. If you want your code to be as modular as possible, you need to sacrifice certain things. One of them is optimization and another is ease of use. Now not all of the code is written this way, at least I don't think so, but a substantial portion of it is, and when you're working on a huge project like this you also want your code to be reusable if possible. I would imagine that TES VI won't be reusing code from earlier TES games, especially if Todd is waiting for technology to catch up to his vision, but it's usually a focus in projects like this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
MetaCthulhu wrote:
AKB wrote:
And the whole reason for delaying the next game for as long as they had has to do with quality, what you say you want. Todd "The God" Howard literally stated that the technology did not exist to make the ES game he wanted to make, so he wasn't going to make it yet.
Bethesda could, alternatively, try optimizing the code they use :wink:

Additionally, a great selling point for the TES Series (at least at PC) is its gread modability, so having a system that at least for modders works similar to their old ones can also be a good point, as it allows modders with some half-knowledge of the game's workings (like me) to more quickly adapt to the new game and more easily create mods.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TESO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlespire, Daggerfall, Arena
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4/VR
UESPoints: 4
Complacency is the enemy of progress.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:34 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Everything 'cept ESO and Travels
Platform: Linux Personal Console
UESPoints: 16
TES 6 said to be in the works-ish. (again) http://www.gamespot.com/articles/skyrim-director-praises-nintendo-switch-says-elder/1100-6445634/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

[Edit] Reading the actual interview, it's lot less set in stone than the "confirmed" that the guy at Gamespot says [http://www.glixel.com/interviews/skyrim-creator-todd-howard-talks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: III, IV, V, online, V.2
Platform: Ps3 Xbox360 PS4 PC PS5
To be honest they`re probably wanting to avoid another Hype train and the possibility not living up to it. It seems like it would be a very serious pressure in a build up to a new edition to a very popular series

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:41 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
To be honest, there is going to be talks of TES VI until it is revealed and even then, talks of TES VII may start occuring. I think Fallout 4's overall mixed reception from it's fanbase and players may be causing them to rethink their plans. TESVI may be craft oriented but they may decide to not make it a main feature to avoid a repeat of 4. The two or three unnamed IPs are bound to be revealed next year and either every two years after that(One year of patches, DLC after launch etc..) with TESVI being a low priority.

Wouldn't be surprised if they make it VR oriented if the tech is there. Though a VR focused TES would put me off it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would just like to add my thoughts in the pool of "yay!" I read on these pages: YAY!!!

For real though I'm excited, I have been waiting years for word on the next game. As others point out, I also hope they don't force anything down our throats. ESPECIALLY virtual reality lol

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
Sad thing is that it's gonna be years before we hear of it again.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:19 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: XBOXone
Other Profiles: Gamertag: Mournblade94
A friend of mine worked for the studio for a bit. He confirmed 2021 is the projected release date for ESVI.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:43 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TESO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlespire, Daggerfall, Arena
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4/VR
UESPoints: 4
The Elder Scrolls VI: Sealab 2021

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:08 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
mournblade94 wrote:
A friend of mine worked for the studio for a bit. He confirmed 2021 is the projected release date for ESVI.

You heard it here first, folks.

C'mon, dude, cited articles or official statements or bust.

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC (I - V, O), Xbox 360 (IV, V)
Other Profiles: JumboWheat01 (XBL/Steam/PSN/ESO)
UESPoints: 3
I officially state that Elder Scrolls VI will be released Soon™.

Hidden:
Note: Soon™ covers any time between now and the end of time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
The world ends in five years. That's not hardly enough time to get an expansion out.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:50 pm 

mournblade94 wrote:

If that is true, I would heavily advise not sharing it. It could get him into a lot of trouble if he is under a NDA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:48 am 
Associate
Associate

Unionhack wrote:
mournblade94 wrote:

You heard it here first, folks.

C'mon, dude, cited articles or official statements or bust.

If it's not good enough for you, then ignore it. Obviously I'm not going to get anything in writing. I have full faith in the source because he worked directly with ESO writers and developers. Ignore it or don't. Upon announcement you can make your final decision.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:13 am 

No offence intended but without any trusted sources, offical statements, it is hard to take at face value without any evidence and as i said, if that is true, it is not wise to share it if he is under a NDA. Working with ESO writers may mean nothing. Bethesda will handle TES main series games whilst ESO is Zenimax's domain. Without sources, offical statements and generally anything to back it up, it can't be used as confirmation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:29 pm 
Associate
Associate

I didn't post this for confirmation of fact. I said what I heard from a good source and people can do with it what they will.

But zenimax and Bethesda do talk together often. I LARP with an artist from Bethesda and my best friend is a promotional writer for ESO. The teams talk and are aware of what each are doing. Zenimax and Bethesda are owned by the same company. Just different divisions.

What do you guys think I'm trying to do by telling the year? I'm not trying to gain any sort of wacky renown. If you don't believe it don't believe it.

I was giving what I heard. I'm not publishing an article on a website.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
You can understand how, without any direct proof, people are going to be sceptical when hearing any information about future developments in TES.
It's not that people think you're trying to achieve anything, it's simply that this is the way it works on the forums.
Anybody can claim anything is true, so without official sources, no one can start discussing it with any confidence.
(If the OP didn't have reputable links, it would have been under the same scrutiny).

It would look bad on the UESP's part if your information turned out to be untrue, but we started talking about it and then other people saw this discussion and began to spread it to a wider audience.
And like TSD said, such big announcements could cause issue if the information was not supposed to have been shared.

So it's nothing against you; we're not saying you're seeking attention or anything, this is just how we operate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm 

^^^^^^^^^^

To add further to Aarah's post, Bethesda does use UESP as a resource for checking lore stuff and if we posted it on the front page as an announcement, it could get your friend into some serious trouble. NDAs are common in the industry and the best case scenerio would be that he gets sacked. The worst case is that he gets sued for violating the NDA. Without any links, sources etc... we get stuff like AGOT Bethesda leaks that turn out to be false. Dates also change all the time and Bethesda has confirmed that they are working on two unnamed IPs that are not TES or Fallout. Unless it's Peter Hines or Todd Howard(because of their positions), the word of anyone without any proof to back it up is a poor source.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 am 
Associate
Associate

Fair enough. The first response several days ago was quite a bit snarky so I was reacting to that mostly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:47 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC (I - V, O), Xbox 360 (IV, V)
Other Profiles: JumboWheat01 (XBL/Steam/PSN/ESO)
UESPoints: 3
Wait, if Bethesda checks us for lore checks, why is this the UNofficial Elder Scrolls Pages, and not the OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls Pages?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:24 pm 

I believe it is because it's unoffical since it's inception and ok, i'm not the person to explain it. But it probably has something to do with Bethesda not wanting to play favourites or cause strife etc...

Oh and Pete Hines may have leaked a new game. It is apparently out later this year but the only evidence is a video and he later claimed he was concussed from online attacks. Huh? Wha? So erm.... either that is true and Bethesda is doing an Activision(Barely advertising it, shoving it out to die) or it was just a silly mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:48 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY, Arena, Skyrim + DLCs | Battlespire/Redguard (bug fests that I didn't manage to complete)
Platform: PC,PS3
^I think that's the most confusing thing I've seen Pete do/say ever.Why mention a game no one knows about at such a strange time and in such a weird way only to backpedal the very next day?Especially if your new mantra is "we only talk about our games when they're a few months off from release".

There is a lot of talk on the internet about it being either the mobile game Todd mentioned earlier this year or one of the big projects ("Starfield").While there are some interesting arguments for and against both people seem to forget that Pete doesn't just represent BGS,he's the PR guy for the entire company.IF there is a game planned for this year that wasn't announced it could be a number of things and from a number of dev teams,not just BGS.

Stormcloak and Dunmer Lover of the UESP Forums

~ ~ ~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next