Switch to full style
For those topics that just don't fit anywhere else
Post a reply

Re: Todd Howard confirms TES VI is a long way off

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm

The only Bethesda published game that i can think of is Dishonoured 2:Death of the Outsider and that's just a huge bit of DLC. He may have meant that or one of the various VR ports of their existing IPs.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:21 am

Huh? I thought Death of the Outsider was a standalone game, not a DLC?

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:00 pm

I don't think we'll be getting an Elder Scrolls VI, the casual COD fanbase is more profitable so Bethesda is focusing on that for the unforeseeable future and if/when they do announce and release TES VI it will be a big disappointment (picture all of Skyrim's flaws & bugs plus more) because since they've known for years that the modding community will fix bugs and improve quality for free and even now have an in-house sweatshop of sorts for mods they will simply leave modders to fill the void.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Nice /r/gaming mentality bro, lmao

I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the choices made in recent releases, but I'm not completely psyched out on TES 6 either. Long way out, right? Long time to make design choices.

I don't see how they pander to the COD fanbase, given that they have coexisted with Treyarch + Etc since like, Oblivion, and have done their own thing well enough. That just seems like total hyperbole.

Like... We don't even have hypothetical information about this game that may or may not even be in the conceptual design stages yet.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Unionhack wrote:Nice /r/gaming mentality bro, lmao

I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the choices made in recent releases, but I'm not completely psyched out on TES 6 either. Long way out, right? Long time to make design choices.

I don't see how they pander to the COD fanbase, given that they have coexisted with Treyarch + Etc since like, Oblivion, and have done their own thing well enough. That just seems like total hyperbole.

Like... We don't even have hypothetical information about this game that may or may not even be in the conceptual design stages yet.

I don't care if you dislike my feelings on the matter, that said I am not at all enthused for TESVI due to the current climate of the gaming culture (mostly due to Bethesda's recent marketing decisions) and if it does eventually come about it will more than likely be more pay to play DLC and additional story content made by amateurs via the creation club. People keep saying a projected announcement of TESVI around 2018/2019 and a release around 2020? I'm likely to believe Skyrim will be remastered again for the PS5, XBOXTWO, etc. because they can once again phone in a lazy port and have amateur modders add "new" content to keep Skyrim going for another 5-6 years, because there's easy money in the CC and casual fanbase.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:37 pm

As cynical as I am towards Bethesda, most days(I seem to be more negative about TES in discord then positive. :-/ ), Bethesda won't treat it like Doom where it got ported to every single platform in existence. There was a massive demand for Skyrim and they happened to have a test version for the X1 just to see what Creation could work with. They finished that version and did the developer version of a copypaste job. TESVI is a long way off. We have yet to see one f teh new unnamed IPs that they are working on. Creation Club is a disaster imo but that is an entirely different topic. Switch proved to be capable of running Skyrim and whilst I personally, view it as a bit naff due to switch's poor battery life(6 hours at most, i think), I can understand why people would want it.

Skyrim VR is a stupid idea though due to the tech not being ready for it and from what i've heard, it is awful.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 pm

I just feel like Call of the Duty is the absolute easiest straw-man to attack when it comes to resisting the whole "mainstream" proliferation of gaming, when in reality some of the recent CoD entries have had pretty solid storylines. Granted I don't care whatsoever for how they play (shooters need to let you tank more bullets before death, and I say that as an Overwatch player), but they're far from lowest-common-denominator pandering and it's easy to tell this from playing it for more than five minutes.

I don't even get how Bethesda has a perceived 'influence' on this end. Their recent decisions that I don't like (C-Club, Card Game, re-releasing Skyrim every 5 minutes) don't really resemble what they've done with the CoD franchise; not that I know of, anyway, and if they've released CoD Legends in the last two years then feel free to call me out on it. To my knowledge though the re-master of modern warfare whatever was like, the one of its kind.

Some people like the simple offerings of CoD, and that's alright. They're a demographic that deserves games that meet their suitability as well. I don't get how they can be held up as this group to be reviled for their preferences. No, I don't think that Elder Scrolls should meet that level of shallow depth because they're known for their depth, but I don't think they've actually met it in the first place either.

Am I happy with the current state of things? Jesus, no, the Creation Club is a disaster (one we've already seen and panned, mind you), I have absolutely zero interest in a card game that doesn't stand out, and I haven't needed a new copy of Skyrim since I got the one for Steam in 2011; but I don't think we should talk in hyperbole about it either.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:42 am

I can not wait for Morrowind and the TES series is a game I love (maybe a little PoE, but because it is in Morrowind's climate)

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm

An isometric RPG in the ES universe akin to PoE would be pretty rad, it would certainly take the visual appeal of PoE and combine it with half-decent storytelling. Still, I think they should be kept to spinoffs like the mobile games (which WERE iso-RPGs, right? I've never played), while the mainline games should keep with the standard first/third view action exploration type control. I think the world is a little more personal when you do that, and suits itself more towards the control of a singular character.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am

dunmerr wrote:I can not wait for Morrowind

You're kinda late to the party, it was released in 2002...

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 pm

AngryNord wrote:

Maybe they meant TESO: Morrowind, or a possible remake of Morrowind?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Leliel wrote:
AngryNord wrote:

Maybe they meant TESO: Morrowind, or a possible remake of Morrowind?

Still several months late for the party for the former. And Bethesda have said multiple times that the latter ain't gonna happen.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 am

AngryNord wrote:
Still several months late for the party for the former. And Bethesda have said multiple times that the latter ain't gonna happen.

But we can enjoy Skyrim for toaster ovens in the meantime...

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't really know why any of the ES games need remasters in the first place. They're all titles that exist pretty independently rooted in the time and industry environment they were released in. Re-doing Morrowind would probably entail a lot more than just updating textures. To remaster it you'd have to throw in a lot of re-working into it, maybe eliminating some of the tedium of the original (if you enjoy Morrowind's default running speed then you scare me), and I don't see the point of doing that when people are already making stuff like Morroblivion or Skywind.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am

Unionhack wrote:I don't really know why any of the ES games need remasters in the first place. They're all titles that exist pretty independently rooted in the time and industry environment they were released in. Re-doing Morrowind would probably entail a lot more than just updating textures. To remaster it you'd have to throw in a lot of re-working into it, maybe eliminating some of the tedium of the original (if you enjoy Morrowind's default running speed then you scare me), and I don't see the point of doing that when people are already making stuff like Morroblivion or Skywind.

Nobody wants originality anymore. It's all got to be remasters. And then when they've wasted 20 years remastering the older games and thought they could finally start work on something new people start demanding remasters of the remasters.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Usually, it is because there is a demand for it and Sony refuses to have Backwards capability on the playstation. Microsoft allows it but most of the time, the demand for it is deemed worth doing. Skyrim was barely remastered due to it already being a port for the X1 as a test and people wanted it on the current consoles. Personally, I don't care for remasters aside from the sole element of being able to play them. Metal Gear Solid HD collection allows me to play the MGS games I never could.(Because young Dovah was an idiot and sold his PS2 and collection.) I really hate it when people dismiss a game because it's graphics. Some have aged badly,I mean, some PS1 games have really aged badly in the graphics department but still fun to play. Aside from a few games having awkward dated controls. Pretty much any game that isn't Skyrim needs a full remake if they were to do a remaster and i think, Bethesda has stated this is why they will never approach Oblivion because they more or less have to redo it from scratch.

I disagree about the notion that no-one wants originiallity anymore. Look at Hellblade:Serana's Sacrifice. Look at most of the games from the past few years. Remasters are often a result of demand and whilst some publishers(Activision comes to mind) half arse it, most do a decent job of it. It also allows them to gauge interest in a franchise. Though, i will admit, Arena being remade(not remastered) would be interesting to see. Daggerfall is impossible to remake without sacrificing the scale of it though, the generic towns being ditched in favour for plenty of unique towns would be nice if it meant a smaller(larger then any TES game to date) Daggerfall.

But there are mods. Mods, Mods always solves everything. Or adds a ton of freaky stuff to it. Macho Man dragons anyone? Not freaky but OOOO YEAAAH, Macho Man is gonnna kill ya, HOAKSTER :P I will admit, if they did ever do a remake of a TES game(not Skyrim) and a fully fledged remake, i would probably buy it.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 am

All I hope is that there is more RPG-elements. I don't want to be the chosen one or at least give me the option to not be one. There should be serious consequences for every big choice, too. I want to roleplay my character and immerse myself in the new realm of Tamriel we'll explore.

Although, looking at previous entries in the franchise and considering how much dough they made off Skyrim, I'm going to assume that they're going to keep down the path they have been for awhile now.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm

I hope we get to go outside of tamerial to the akvari's or perhaps in a expansion pack to TES VI but i like a storyline involving that

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Akaviri won't occur. Tamriel has yet to be fully covered properly. Arena and Daggerfall did that but i think Bethesda would prefer to use every province before Akaviri. ESO kinda covers most of the continent but more of a scaled down version, i think. However, a one off location in Akaviri would work as a final boss dungeon. TES has never done choices before and i think they need to study Bioware's earlier works before going all on in it but TES is more of a power fantasy then serious one.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 pm

The SheoDovah wrote:Akaviri won't occur.

You never know :tiger:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:34 pm

The SheoDovah wrote:Tamriel has yet to be fully covered properly. Arena and Daggerfall did that

Daggerfall did that? I've yet to install and play Daggerfall, so maybe I'm mistaken-- but I thought Daggerfall covers only a portion of High Rock and a portion of Hammerfell?

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

SeaGtGruff wrote: I thought Daggerfall covers only a portion of High Rock and a portion of Hammerfell?

You're correct.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 am

Hello i'm back for the hype train. Choo choooo.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Yeah, guess I can un-Global this now. Still a way off, but we’re no longer in the “don’t expect to even hear about it at all” stage. :)

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:27 am

The Bethesda Boom-boom banging on the hyper again!
Bang-Bang. Bang-Bang. Bang-Bang. Got to be with some kind of Hammer. What kind of Hammer?
Hammerfell!
Post a reply