UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC

Your favorite race.
Altmer 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Argonian 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Bosmer 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Breton 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Dunmer 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Imperial 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Khajiit 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Nord 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Orc 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Redguard 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 79
 Post subject: Favorite race
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: ESIII Morrowind, ESIV Oblivion, ESV Skyrim
Platform: Xbox360 & PC
Other Profiles: XXX
UESPoints: 0
Now I don't think it's possible that no one's ever done one of these, but opinions change and I'm sure no one will mind sharing their opinion about their favorite race and why they chose it. I left the poll subject to take-backsies in case someone can't make up their mind as well.

I personally prefer humans; whichever is most appropriate for the storyline. In Skyrim's case I make a Nord every single time. I've never not made one. The other games I've played were more vague with their player's role so I would mix it up sometimes and pick the best race for the class I'm going for.

But this is a poll about your favorite race period. What's your favorite race.

Post subject: Re: Favorite race
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
Dunmer is still my favourite race.

I think if the Khaajiti get a good game behind them I would also rate them a lot higher, but Morrowind has put the dark elves head and shoulders above any other races, i love the houses, the tribunal, that that were slavers and now live in the ruins of a land destroyed by disaster and Argonian revenge. They are a well rounded and well presented race and I think one of the original achievements of TES

their fireproofing is about the only racial bonus i pay attention to in the game, whether my hero is a dunmer or the enemy i am trying to fireball is

and for some reason many of them turned into cockneys this time round lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC
That's a tough choice for me. I've got a soft spot for Bretons; my first ever TES character was one, and she was a lot of fun to play. Besides their resist magic racial ability is pretty handy.

On the other hand, I've started to get more interested into the Dunmer recently, due to making a Dunmer Skyrim character. I haven't played Morrowind yet, so my knowledge of Dunmer lore is limited to the lore pages on the wiki, but what I've seen so far is very interesting.

For old times sake, I've still voted Breton, although the Dunmer are definitely a close second.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Morrowind (Bloodmoon, tribunal), Oblivion, Skyrim (+ HF, DB, DG)
Platform: PC, PS3
Mattbott wrote:
..., but Morrowind has put the dark elves head and shoulders above any other races,...

my first TES game was Morrowind.
I started as a kind of Viking Nord, but quickly abandoned him for a whole parade of Dunmer characters in Morrowind, Oblivion and now Skyrim, once I got to know them and their culture.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC
Morrowind was my first TES game as well. And even though I didn't know the Dunmer were the natives of Morrowind my first time playing it, I chose Dunmer for my first playthrough, just because the idea of a Dark Elf interested me.

Anyway, dunmer are my favorite, and I don't think that's ever gonna change. The Dunmer are just the best race, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, PS4/3, Xbone
I usually start off with a Dunmer, for historical reasons but I've been putting effort lately into trying out other races. I'm enjoying playing a Breton, and my nord is just sort of generic but there are still too many races I haven't tried yet to vote.

I haven't tried Khajiit or Argonian
I haven't tried Imperial or Redguard
I haven't tried Altmer or Bosmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:26 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC (I - V, O), Xbox 360 (IV, V)
Other Profiles: JumboWheat01 (XBL/Steam/PSN/ESO)
UESPoints: 3
While I ignored them in Oblivion, my first Elder Scrolls game, I've come to really enjoy playing Bosmer. Their bonuses fit my most comfortable style, and their lore and personalities are enjoyable as well. I look forward to the day we have an Elder Scrolls game set in Vallenwood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: IV: GOTY, V: DG, HF, DB
Platform: PC (IV, V) & PS3 (V)
I love the human races the most. Bretons, Nords, Redguards and Imperials... after those four I like Khajiit a lot. I'm not really into elves... they have their appeal, but I still tend to play the races of men. If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Bretons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:59 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC(Morrowind, Skyrim)
Altmer all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:12 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Other Profiles: Steam: ZeRoc1994
UESPoints: 4
It's almost always been Khajiit for me, my first character in Morrowind was a Khajiit, my first character in Oblivion was a Khajiit, and no prizes for guessing what my first character in Skyrim was... Khajiit. They're just such funny people, and there are relatively few of them in every game, so I feel somewhat unique. Also, it's hard to make a decent looking human character, but pretty simple to make a Khajiit and accept that that is what they look like. And, quite simply, because Khajiit Like to Sneak.

Guys, do you realize just how glorious all of ZeRoc's puns are?
I work at Ancestry, so does that make me an ancestor ghost?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Almost all my characters are mer so elves all the way.
If you take other TES games in consideration too, in general I'd say my favorite are Dunmer. I like their lore, appearance, skills, etc... but in Skyrim, I have somehow gotten really fascinated by the Altmer and have had most fun playing them. I have 5 Altmer so they are definitely my most played race in Skyrim. I guess I kind of missed the archery skills from Dunmer. They used to be more jack-of-all-trades but are now more like "sneaky mages". Still love them though.
Still, gonna go with Altmer for now. I find their race and culture interesting and would really like the next game to take place in Summerset Isles. I like how magic oriented they are since fantasy stories often tend to focus on the warrior type of heroes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:16 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
Moved to TES General, as this is not really that specific to Skyrim.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:14 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind (GOTY), Oblivion (GOTY), Skyrim (Legendary)
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
Man. This is really hard. In general, mer all the way.

But to be more specific, it's a /really/ close tie between dunmer and altmer for me. I just love dark elves, I find their culture and everything super interesting, and... yeah. Altmer are really intriguing and I hope the next game is in Summerset Isles or atleast has a very strong altmeri influence in it (I felt like the Thalmor in Skyrim was pretty underdeveloped).

I also sort of have a special fondness for wood elves (first ever TES character was one) and bretons (second TES character was one), though! I also really like khajiit, but more for a lore-standpoint (if I could play as one of the pseudo-Bosmer khajiit though, I'd be really happy - seems like they're only in the first two games, though)
Really I love all of the TES races n__n Though argonians never really interested me, I'm not sure why, and I don't think I've ever really made an Imperial that I really into their character with.

All things considered, I think I'll vote dunmer, just because I am (pretty) sure I have made more dunmer characters over the years. Altmer is a VERY close second, if not basically ranked the same, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrobloodtribunal, Oblivering Knights, Skydawnfireborn
UESPoints: 2
I used to play mainly Nord and Dunmer in previous TES games, but in Skyrim I've grown more and more fond of Bosmer and Argonians. Both races have fascinating lore concerning them (Green Pact, Great Hunt, Hist symbiosis), are fun to play and, last not least, are prominent in the two works featuring one of my favourite characters in all Tamrielic literature - referring, of course, to the unforgettable Decumus Scotti and A Dance in Fire and The Argonian Account, respectively. (Khajiit have interesting lore as well, with their connection to the moons and all that, but although I started a Khajiit character once I didn't get quite immersed enough to keep him for long.) Choosing between the two was a tough call, but seeing that Bosmer already had three votes I went with the underdog and voted Argonian.

Jeder sollte einmal reisen in das schöne Vvardenfell!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Imperials are my favorite, for a couple reasons. They were the first race I ever played, back when I first played Oblivion. I also really like their Roman influence, and that they a race who values both the arts of war and diplomacy.

That said, my first and main character in Skyrim is a Nord, as I like to play as the 'native' race of the game - and when I get around to playing Morrowind (which I plan to do the next time it's on a Steam sale), I plan to play a Dunmer.

Overall I prefer the races of men - thus far every character I've played more than a few hours has been one. In Oblivion, I've had two Imperials and a Redguard, and in Skyrim: a Nord, two Imperials, and a Breton. My next planned character for Skyrim will be Dunmer, however, and as I said I do plan to roll one in Morrowind. The Dunmer in Dragonborn intrigued me and after a lot of reading up on lore, they do have a rather fascinating culture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:09 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: everything since Morrowind
Platform: PC and Xbox
No love for Redguards? Here's my vote for the desert sword masters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: MW, OB, SR, ESO
Platform: PC master race
Oh, hard. Narrowing it down slightly... Altmer, Bosmer, Breton, Redguard... I'd have to say it's a tie between Bosmer and Redguard. Bosmer for being shortie cannibal elves, Redguard because my fanfiction Dragonborn is one and I've come to love them and their culture. And I'm nearly always an archer (sometimes a mage), so racial bonuses FTW.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:41 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
Imperials. Mostly because of this.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, Morrowind GOTY, Skyrim Legendary Edition, ESO: Tamriel Unlimited
Other Profiles: USRailFan (Steam)
Nord. D'uh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:37 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Altmer! I love spells, and altmer bonuses in magic is a great start.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Arena, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
My favourites are the Orsimer, Dunmer, and Altmer. I cast my vote for Orsimer though as there is a lot of potential for them to become a big power player which is why the Bretons and Redguards aren't willing to allow them to expand upon the idea of Orsinium.
I like these three races since they are all so tightly bound in the beginning with their origins. With the Orsimer following Trinimac to stop Veloth and the Chimer all the while, the remaining Aldmer stay in Summerset and became the Altmer. Then of course the two curses on the mer that strayed from the isles. Orsimer getting their orcish form and Dunmer their ashen skin and daedra-like appearance from disobeying Azura. It's all such an interesting story.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
I am actually surprised at how popular Altmer are in the fan community. I understand the Dunmer, Morrowind is widely seen as the best title in the series, but we haven't seen the Altmer up close as often as many of the other races.

I also cannot explain the results for the human races. I could understand the results being a bit spread out due to the greater similarity amongst their ranks (with Imperials and Nords edging out the others slightly), but how are the Breton taking home the title for favorite humans? I guess I just don't appreciate them as much as others do.

I'm voting Argonian, due to my love of both the primary beast races.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
Imperials. They're haughty like the Altmer, but not excessively so. Being a former slave race, they share similar experiences with the Orismer. And they're taller than Bosmer.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: All the main ones besides Arena
I swear I've posted in a few topics like this before but I'll say it again, Khajiit by far even if Orismer or Bretons are probably the best for min/maxing due to having the best racials.

I've always played them even if they do suck in Morrowind, well to be more accurate they only suck early-game because by endgame your a demigod anyways.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not impressed with the reality humans have created, that's why I play TES games, they are an escape from it. And if I can play a race that is nothing like a human I'll do it. Plus if I make a human character I get OCD and have to make him look exactly like me which is impossible due to Skyrims character creation only allowing you preset choices for noses, eyes, mouths, etc.

That removes the human-ish races from the equation. Then we are left with the Mer side of the spectrum and the beast races. I don't like Argonians aesthetically due to the necks and eyes, Orismer are a bit too tall as well as Altmer, Bosmer are too short,and Dunmer look a bit odd to me. That leaves Khajiit as the last viable option.

Khajiit also are probably the best looking race in Skyrim in general, I think Bethesda pulled them off VERY well and I honestly don't see how they could improve them much more. The race just looks great.

Sure, there are a few graphical glitches but there are some things that benefit the race as well, mostly small things. For instance I HATE the hooded outfits on human or elf characters, the Theives guild hood covers the majority of the characters face and just looks awkward to me. On the beast races this problem is solved and the hoods look better in general (at least to me).

And then there is the creation choices not varying much which allows me to ignore my OCD.

Then there are other aspects like the personality of the Khajiit lore-wise being collectors which definately suits me because I try to get every unique item I can. I even used the pickpocket exploit for Tullius' armor as well as the Jagged crown, plus I sort of partake in a lot of similar things to Khajiit irl but would rather not tell them on here.

IDK, overall I just find them to be leaps and bounds better than the other choices and despite trying the other races at least once I always main my Khajiit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
Orc, I love how the Orcs are always big and strong so that way he or she will be better in battle especially with the berserk spell.