UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Status of the Provinces of Tamriel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:06 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 10
VelothiConservative wrote:
The roman republic was founded as a revolt against tyranny, the chinese emperors ruled with a heavenly mandate.. Where's the difference?

Did the Chinese emperors ultimately save the world from a demon hell-bent on its destruction? Or any demon, for that matter? I would say that's a pretty substantial difference.

The uncultivated land of monsters is the rule. The TES-verse is ultra violent and ultra dangerous. The calculus is necessarily different.

I'm not an advocate for the Imperial model of governance in real life. Then again, in real life, an Emperor wouldn't be keeping the whole world from plunging into hell.

Last edited by Minor Edits on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Minor Edits wrote:
VelothiConservative wrote:
The roman republic was founded as a revolt against tyranny, the chinese emperors ruled with a heavenly mandate.. Where's the difference?

Did the Chinese emperors ultimately save the world from a demon hell-bent on its destruction? Or any demon, for that matter? I would say that's a pretty substantial difference.

The land of uncultivated monsters is the rule. The TES-verse is ultra violent and ultra dangerous. The calculus is necessarily different.

I'm not an advocate for the Imperial model of governance in real life. Then again, in real life, an Emperor wouldn't be keeping the whole world from plunging into hell.

According to average 16th century chinese peasant I bet they did. Point being, that justification was used on earth too. In fact, the empires which didn't rest on some divine right were rare.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:10 pm 
Champion
Champion

My point being, only in one situation was the justification justified. The fact that it has been used on Earth is irrelevant. Unless, of course, some Chinese emperors fought off some army from hell that I'm not aware of.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox360
Also, the original empress, St. Alessia, was literally blessed/chosen by the gods to free mankind from elven rule. The empire was pretty much started by gods, namely Akatosh and Lorkhan, who then proceeded to make a pack with the humans that would prevent mundus from easily dissolving back into Oblivion...not to collect tax money

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 am 
Novice
Novice

Platform: PC
Minor Edits wrote:
My point being, only in one situation was the justification justified. The fact that it has been used on Earth is irrelevant. Unless, of course, some Chinese emperors fought off some army from hell that I'm not aware of.

Well, we might never know...

Woodhouse wrote:
Also, the original empress, St. Alessia, was literally blessed/chosen by the gods to free mankind from elven rule. The empire was pretty much started by gods, namely Akatosh and Lorkhan, who then proceeded to make a pack with the humans that would prevent mundus from easily dissolving back into Oblivion...not to collect tax money

And yet collect taxes they do, and a nobles they have, peasants they repress, and people they conquer. This is a fantasy setting. We can't expect to find consistence everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 am 
Champion
Champion

We're not denying that the form is the same, but the function is clearly different. We saw for ourselves in Oblivion and Online how Tamriel gets along without an Emperor. It is a fantasy game, and that means that the fantasy of a divinely mandated leader was actually true. This is the reality of TES, and something which must be acknowledged when assessing the empire's overall merit.