UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Future of the Franchise: Sequels
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:22 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
It is not an official part of series canon, and I seriously doubt that Bethesda will use it.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 0
AKB wrote:
It is not an official part of series canon, and I seriously doubt that Bethesda will use it.

Well at any rate, even if Michael Kirkbride gets back on the team and makes everything he wrote canon, I feel I can say for certainty that the future tech will never appear in any ES games.

Last edited by Leckan on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:17 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Does it matter, though?

You should believe and take seriously whatever lore you think is most interesting and fun.

If you think Pelinal is a robot, then when you play the games, he's a robot. There's certainly nothing that says he can't have been, and if there were, it'd be up to you whether you heed it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Platform: Xbox360
I don't think advancement would ruin the series. I'm not talking spaceships in the general sense or a modern world.. but mastering dwemer technology I think would be awesome. Sort of like the last fable, medieval industrial era, but more dwemer like. The mechanics, wicked lightbulbs, that (I believe flying ) ship crashed on Solstheim as an option for transport. You could have your castles and cottage like homes (and hopefully tree homes I love those) and then have people who mastered the dwemer ruins and brought them back their full glory, big dfunctioning dwemer cities run by their ancestors. I think it was be awesome honestly to go to a dwemer 'ruin' and visit the local pub, a shop... Not get attacked the whole time lol. I could see how revealing the dwemer downfall could ruin the mystery. But learning and taking advantage of what they left behind would be great. And perhaps throw in a couple of back in time scenarios to catch a glimpse of them and id be happy. The closest we've got was that dwemer ghost in Morrowind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:41 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: IV: GOTY, V: DG, HF, DB
Platform: PC (IV, V) & PS3 (V)
Marelo wrote:
Does it matter, though?

You should believe and take seriously whatever lore you think is most interesting and fun.

If you think Pelinal is a robot, then when you play the games, he's a robot. There's certainly nothing that says he can't have been, and if there were, it'd be up to you whether you heed it.

Your headcanon can be whatever you want, but that doesn't make it lore.

Bit off topic though. I was just curious where he got that information and it turns out it wasn't really true. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:45 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
Well, if you can have robots from the past trying to kill you today, chances are there will be robots tomorrow.

My problem is the backstep: traveling backwards through time? Alduin jumped into the future by being ripped out of time and re-emerging later on. But while he was gone, time spooled on. I don't know who one could reel the thread back.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:11 am 
Warder
Warder

Witchery wrote:
Marelo wrote:
Does it matter, though?

Your headcanon can be whatever you want, but that doesn't make it lore.

Bit off topic though. I was just curious where he got that information and it turns out it wasn't really true. :P

Have you not read the Song of Pelinal?

Quote:
he was Pelinal the Whitestrake because of his left hand, made of a killing light;

Quote:
PELIN-EL [which is] "The Star-Made Knight" [and he] was arrayed in armor [from the future time].

In-game source, which happens to be written by Michael Kirkbride, who is of the opinion that Pelinal is a robot from the future, presumably, at times, employing lasers from his left hand. If that doesn't count as lore to you then I think your definition of lore is off.

Like I said, you don't have to interpret it the same way that its author does. But dismissing it as "not really true" and "not lore" when it's just a matter of interpretive choice seems pretty unfounded.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:18 am 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
Back on topic, yes? We've locked threads that devolve into speculation based on Kirkbride's supposed "intentions". I'd hate to have to do that here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:35 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

There were a few different occasions where you were able to have a voew of the past without actually changing history.. I just think something like that would be neat. Thats reminds me though of that other dwemer, the one in Morrowind, the place where the man tends to those with corprus disease. I wonder why we didnt collect information from him... or what is story was I don't really remember.. hafta look that up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: morrowind,oblivion,skyrim
Actually there has been a leak. If this leak is legit we then know where the next game will take place.

Warning though, it is NOT safe for work. NSFW.

Link removed

Last edited by AKB on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removing link to inappropriate, and almost definitely fake leak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Link was removed, where does it take place?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 am 
Undecided
Undecided

farore wrote:
Link was removed, where does it take place?

NSFW Leak Girl said it was going to be set with Valenwood and Elsweyr. Call it a combo platter.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

So is that a guess or is it a fact? Never heard of NSFW Leak Girl. Vallenwood is the place I'm most interested in playing in, so that's exciting news if so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 am 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

As the edit note stated, it is in all likelihood false. No proof was given. Nothing to get excited about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 am 
Undecided
Undecided

farore wrote:
So is that a guess or is it a fact? Never heard of NSFW Leak Girl. Vallenwood is the place I'm most interested in playing in, so that's exciting news if so.

I read said message in the link before it went green. Message said so as I said.

<-- Is this the image of someone you can't trust?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh I see. I didnt notice that below his signature. Oh well. I'm sure we will see Valenwood eventually even if not in the next game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
I would like to see TESVI take place in Valenwood but it would be too small for an entire game to be set in it. Both Elsweyr and Valenwood would be ideal. But i am hoping Bethesda are not going to continue targetting TES to the mainstream crowd due to certain elements i hate in Skyrim. The regenerating health and the hand holding. Now, i love Skyrim but it had too much hand holding and the health regeneration does not belong in TES unless it's very minor. The Lord sign or a minor health regeneration spell. I am hoping that they'll create the game they want and take as much time as they need to make TESVI excellent. Skyrim was excellent but it had many flaws.

The final Alduin battle, just no. Bethesda, go home, you're drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:39 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

Let's try to get back on topic.

If you just want to talk about what you hope is in the next TES game, feel free to post in the TES VI Wishlist thread. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Well back on topic, I wouldn't mind there being a "Skyrim 2" to bridge the gap between ES5 and ES6 if we want to see a continuation of the Dragonborn's story. However, we would have to remember that would mean a longer wait for ES6.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Leckan wrote:
Well back on topic, I wouldn't mind there being a "Skyrim 2" to bridge the gap between ES5 and ES6 if we want to see a continuation of the Dragonborn's story. However, we would have to remember that would mean a longer wait for ES6.

I think the Dragonborn's story has been wrapped up fairly well. I would hope the next game gives us a new location to explore. preferably a smaller country so that they can flesh it out better. Just Valenwood, would be more than enough to work with. They could have the moving city start moving sometime before the game starts and have it move slowly in a set path around all of Valenwood. It could be the one city you cannot fast travel to, but must constantly ask citizens where they last saw it. It would be innovative and something no other fantasy game has done before. Perhaps throw in some sort of chainhook type weapon for moving about the forrest quickly, and give us a new weapontype with its own unique skill tree. If they really want to wow people without going too alien-like, I think this is the logical choice.

Combing Valenwood and the Khajitt homeland, would simply mean neither gets dont full justice. After all, vvardenfell is about the same size, and that game worked out pretty well didn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also don't see much more use of the dragonborn in the next game, he defeated Alduin, completing his part of the prophecy.. What more could they do with his character? Just wondering what your ideas would be? As for the hookshot being implicated in the next game, that is an awesome idea. If the game were to be set in Valenwood, the Bosmer live in the trees, the landscape is forest, I think its perfect. Not only as a neat method of travel or battle, it could also be necessary for dungeo situations making exploring more unique. Who needs levitation (which was done away with anyway) if you had that. Just look at Zelda, or Just Cause. That's a great idea, can't believe I never thought of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:57 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
farore wrote:
I also don't see much more use of the dragonborn in the next game, he defeated Alduin, completing his part of the prophecy.. What more could they do with his character? Just wondering what your ideas would be?

Spoiler:
Dovahkiin is effectively immortal after all the Hermaeus Mora shenanigans and eventually gets bored with life. He does centuries of research and works out how to bring another dragon break into being, allowing him to follow Alduin into the future. And there he dies, in a final futile battle with the world eater. Thus earning his place in Sovngard. i would pay good money to see that through

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I didn't know any of that.. How do you read lore after the time of the current game? Where is it, because I really had no idea about any of that.. Kind of a bummer really... :(

Spoiler:
That really sucks that he does eventually die facing Alduin, so does that mean that is the end times? After the dragonborn dies? I honestly thought that when we defeated Alduin in Sovengard that we really beat him and it was over.. It seems like every game has a bad ending regardless of what you do. You save Morrowind from Dagoth Ur, it blows up anyway. You save Skyrim fro Alduin, nope you didnt.. bleh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
farore wrote:
I didn't know any of that.. How do you read lore after the time of the current game? Where is it, because I really had no idea about any of that.. Kind of a bummer really... :(

Spoiler:
That really sucks that he does eventually die facing Alduin, so does that mean that is the end times? After the dragonborn dies? I honestly thought that when we defeated Alduin in Sovengard that we really beat him and it was over.. It seems like every game has a bad ending regardless of what you do. You save Morrowind from Dagoth Ur, it blows up anyway. You save Skyrim fro Alduin, nope you didnt.. bleh.

sorry, this isn't all part of lore at all, it's partly me making stuff up

Spoiler:
In the game Alduin isnt dead, he's just been pushed into the future. This is dicusssed with Paarthunax at the Throat of the World in the main quest before you go back to get the dragonrend shout. That part is lore - BUT, I wouldn't be too depressed by it because for all we know Alduin was sent a billion years into the future. He's Akatosh's firstborn so really is almost more like a horesman of the apocalypse type enemy rather than a big boss to be beaten up and his bones made into special armour after the main quest

really I was thinking that if Dovahkiin is immortal like Miirak (cos he also has access to Mora's knowledge), then they might meet again anyway.. so Dovahkiin might want to bring it on sooner rather than later

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This Dragonborn sequel would still be set in Skyrim right? Sure a lot could change after say a hundred years or so, new enemies, new buildings in a few town, but there is a limit.

The same mountains would exist, many of the more important placed like the college of winter-hold would probably stick around, most caves should be the same. All in all, simply would not give off that "its a brand new world" vibe.

The biggest problem though,are npcs. for example elven npc's in guilds and elsewhere. They live thousands of years so should still be around, but at the same time you may or may not have chosen to slaughter them in Skyrim. They would have to be removed just in case they were slaughtered. No descendents of non-essential npc's could give any new information about what their ancestors did after the events of Skyrim, because there's a chance nothing happened, the Dragonborn simply slaughtered them for laughs.

Perhaps an epilogue in the form of a book in the next game would be nice though. Or a grave, that would be a first for a MC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next