UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Obscure texts/c0da series
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
What about the books in the game?

Are those in-game lore?

I mean, some of them contradict what we actually see. We probably shouldn't consider the Monomyth or Varieties of Faith lore either, right? I mean, not only has some of the stuff they claim been refuted (like Alduin being the same being as Akatosh), but Michael Kirkbride was involved, so we'd better not call them lore too just to be safe. Right? ;)

Yeah, I'm gonna be that way.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:08 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
That's a really poor example. One is actually in the game. These aren't. There's no issue with information being contradictory, it's just that Michael Kirkbride does not work with Bethesda, and this work is not official productions for the games as far as I can tell from everything I've seen. Those books you mentioned are part of the series, officially. This is not. This might be where he would of taken these concepts or the setting, if he had stayed with Bethesda, but he didn't.

Really, these isn't a point to argue about it. You're still allowed to discuss it here. His recent releases just don't fit in any other TES sub-forum all that well. This is simply a better location for it.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
How do you know this isn't in the game to come? How much out of game MK stuff ends up in the game or hints to the next one? A lot.

The dude who made up almost all of the mythologies of TES and still gives input to the series game in and game out. The lore forum is the perfect place for this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
I don't care if this might be in a future game or not. It's rather presumptuous to claim that since I don't know definitively that this content won't be featured in the series in the future, that it should be treated as word of god otherwise. As for his work finding its way into the games? He worked on them for years. He has done contract work for Bethesda since he left. Of course some offshoot of his work will find its way in. That doesn't mean that we must then assume it is going to be canon.

When it is canon, discussion of this will be acceptable in lore. Not before. Either way, it has already been moved. Even with the OP's express permission to do so in the fifth post.

Regardless, this is off the topic. Please return to the actual discussion of his work. Any further concerns can be expressed through PM.

I really enjoy the art that has been included with these. It's what has really been catching my eyes with these. I have some personal gripes about specific pieces (some effects make the pieces seem off), but I do like them more than I don't. If Kirkbride's intention was to show off these compositions, then he truly succeeded.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.