UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Elder Scrolls Remakes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:55 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Pc, Xbox, Xbox360
Other Profiles: silverkatana
UESPoints: 0
I think it would be awesome if Bethesda would remaster Arena and Daggerfall so that we could play those games in their full glory, the way they deserve to be played. It would also serve as a really cool way to placate the fans of TES until TES VI comes out! Does anybody out there agree with me? Please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Elder Scrolls Remakes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:56 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind , Oblivion , Skyrim
Platform: PC
silverkatana3d wrote:
It would also serve as a really cool way to placate the fans of TES until TES VI comes out!

Wouldn't a remake take time to be made, and thus make TES VI's release take even longer?

I don't think any remake is necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:49 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
It would be cool, but it's definitely not going to happen soon. It takes money to create a game, and spending money on something you've already sold before and now share for free...naaaaaaah.

Although, bugs aside, they're great games! Nothing wrong with a little old school graphics and adventure! Back in my day, we didn't have fancy ENBs or mods, and we did just fine! ;)

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:36 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Whilst it would be excellent to see Tamriel in 3D, it will never happen as Arena and Daggerfall would be too big for them to remake due to the sheer size of Tamriel in both of those games. I know Zenimax are doing Tamriel in TES:O but they are doing it in steps to make it easier, i think. I would love to see a Morrowind remake or release on PS3 and 360.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, all DLC, Oblivion, GoTY and aniversary, arena
Platform: X360/PC, X360/PC, PC.
UESPoints: 2
Morrowind is on xbox 360. (If you can find a copy)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind
Remake? Why? The game was meant to be the way it was. If you mess with it too much, it becomes an entirely new game. New game's graphics tend to be quite unrealistic too. Funny thing about older games, is that they all have realistic colors. New games tend to ruin the graphics by making the colors "unique", thus, ruining the realism in the process.

Another thing that new games have is "bloom". "Bloom" is a sad attempt to mimic the human eye adjusting to the light. It fails at that in many ways, yet HDR versions of bloom look much better.

Perhaps one of the most annoying things about new games is the fact that they simplify everything, sometimes to such an annoying degree.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
Well, for Daggerfall there is Dagger XL, a project to re-create the game on the XL Engine. While initially it started as an approximate recreation, the developer eventually began to reverse-engineer the original game and implement the results with the aim to create a faithful, 100% compatible recreation of the original game with bugfixes and optional enhancements.

There have also been some attempts to create remastered high resolution versions of arts and graphics by community artists, some of which can be viewed at DeviantArt, but those haven't been implemented yet to the best of my knowledge. [Edit] This is called Daggerfall: Texture Project.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Warder
Warder

Thanks to fans, we have graphics overhauls for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, so the only remakes I see ever happening would be Arena and Daggerfall, however, I don't think there's enough demand for a remake of those titles to merit Bethesda remaking those games.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:59 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
i think a remake of Morrowind would be worth it if they SLIGHTLY tweaked a couple of elements and put the ragdoll physics / combat we have in Skyrim. I think that there are a couple of things which would enhance the game without taking away from the strengths of the original and i definitely think i would like to see more than a graphics overhaul

keep the character sheet, skills, classes, birthsigns, spell and enchantment systems more or less the same as they work in Mw, add poisons to alchemy, allow smithable items..

I would not add the idiot proof waypoint/compass system or even fast travel (even tho i like it) - I probably would make cliff racers more "charming" and the journal more user friendly - but that's it

obviously you cant make daedric items at the forge cos they are unique otherworldly relics and worth thousands ( imo Oblivion devalued them utterly by sticking them on the levelling ladder and Skyrim continued this trend)

I realise my idea of the ideal Mw remake is not yours

games are marketed very much like movies these days and this business model has a pretty good track record, eg recent movie remakes like Batman and so forth

I agree with the idea that games are what they are, but if they did make a good remake of Mw, who here wouldn't be all over it? The game is so old a new generation of gamers is now with us and looking at TES 3 to see what all the fuss is about - it almost seems silly not to go there from a business point.

I dont think the devs think like this though (and that's what makes them good at their job imo) so remakes will never happen, but it's interesting to speculate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mattbott wrote:
...combat we have in Skyrim.

Honestly, I found the combat more realistic in Oblivion, other than bows. Skyrim the swords swing too slow, and parrying is too slow/weak to use. I do have a love/hate relationship with the killcams in Skyrim. I find it a nice ending to some fights, yet I just can't stand why I am invincible during the animation; Also, why are NPCs invincible while killcamming too?

The bows in Skyrim act quite realistically. They arch up a bit when shot, and the arrows don't go 5 miles an hour... More like 50, which is realistic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:28 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Mattbott wrote:
...put the ragdoll physics / combat we have in Skyrim.

Gah, no. I love Morrowind's lack of physics, way less stupid plates rolling around.

Mattbott wrote:
I probably would make cliff racers more "charming" and the journal more user friendly - but that's it

Morrowind's journal was much more interesting than Oblivion's or Skyrim's. The system has degraded into a crappy walkthrough guide. Better interface while keeping the Morrowind style would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
Jeelius-Tei wrote:
Mattbott wrote:
...combat we have in Skyrim.

Honestly, I found the combat more realistic in Oblivion, other than bows. Skyrim the swords swing too slow, and parrying is too slow/weak to use. I do have a love/hate relationship with the killcams in Skyrim. I find it a nice ending to some fights, yet I just can't stand why I am invincible during the animation; Also, why are NPCs invincible while killcamming too?

The bows in Skyrim act quite realistically. They arch up a bit when shot, and the arrows don't go 5 miles an hour... More like 50, which is realistic.

Swordplay in Oblivion was the derpiest thing I have ever seen. Except for swordplay in Morrowind. We can at least try to pretend that swords have weight to them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:54 pm 

Oblivion treated swords,axes and maces like sticks. Whilst Skyrim does try to make the melee weapons feel like weapons, it still didn't feel like I was using a sword and the power attacks were a bit crap. Archery was improved though and i felt like i was actually using a bow. The combat really needs to be tweaked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind , Oblivion , Skyrim
I too, prefer Oblivion's combat over Skyrim's. It was just so much more enjoyable for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 pm 

I prefer Skyrim's as it's a bit more varied and well, you don't look like a child when you use the swords.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I find the weapons in Skyrim very slow. Skyrim's dagger speed is the same speed I can swing a crude sword I made, and I don't include myself a very strong person. I think speed, agility, endurance, and strength should determine the swinging speed of weapons. Same with bows, except that strength also allows further drawing, thus extra damage.

This setup would allow a very realistic way weapons work, however, it uses the old system of leveling, so I doubt Bethesda would try something like that. It would work if they did it like Fallout. Add a S.P.E.C.I.A.L like feature, and it's done. Realistic setup.