UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elder Scrolls Lore Versus thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
Br3admax wrote:
. Gameplay lore segregation should be used in this. Do custome birthsigns really matter in a lore setting? Not really.

I'd argue that in a lore setting Mankar has far more of an advantage than if taking game mechanics alone into consideration. This guy eats his own children without bread and mythically reshapes the Aurbis with his mind.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:01 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: oblivion/ daggerfall/Skyrim
Platform: xbox360/ PC
UESPoints: 0
Here's one, Parthy vs Odavhiing. I'd imagine Parthy was (or is, though for me was is the correct verb, come at me bro) the second strongest dragon in existence considering he was his chief lieutenant. How the. Do you think his replacement fares?

I'd say Odavhiing takes it since P looks to me as being either old , rusty or both (which is odd since when looking at him he clearly looks older yet I thought dragons can't age).

Plus gameplay wise Odavhiing was much harder to kill.

Edit: plus being secluded on a mountain top meditating all day doesn't make for a good training regime. Seems to me Odavhiing was still kicking ass while p just sat on his

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC(Morrowind, Skyrim)
UESPoints: 1
As for parthy's "old" appearance, I always attributed that as battle damage. Broken horns, ripped wings, etc. are all likely results of being in many skirmishes.

I think Parthurnax actually has the higher chance of winning, just because he was Alduin's lieutenant before the dragon war. That, to me, seems like a likely indicator that he was the second strongest, with Alduin in the lead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:32 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
Mmmm.. Odav is one of the few red dragons, considered the strongest type within their race. Granted this excludes unique birth rites like with Alduin. He was by far strong, but amongst his fellow red brothers it's hard to say. He was surely stronger than your average dragon, and had to have some level of confidence in his own power if he willingly accepted your challenge<_< even after defeating Alduin, the strongest of their Kin. Granted this can just rub off of pride and a desire to attain dominance, but he did show honor by aiding the dragonborn, even befriending him in a way>_> though he surely like others would rather not void his natural desires, he and many others bowed to Parthy and his mantle of leadership.

As for Parthy, he was once the 2nd in charge over all Kin, for Alduin to see him most fit must say something. He seems to be unique, holding some birth rite, not being a defined race of dragon like his older brother, but surely nowhere near as special. While time and age has been harsh, this was of his own choice. If you look at other dragons that had long survived, they are still very able and well. It's the fact that Parthy does not fall prey to his desires and seeks meditation in isolation. He by far knows himself more than any other could understand, and has thus understood the Thu'um and the Way of the Voice vastly. By knowledge he is wise, even in his shamble state he holds more self control than any other dragon. When you are posed with the option to kill him, he neither denies his sins or fate. While he poses the lesson to how good can overcome evil, he still welcomes his fate. It cannot be proven>_> but I did suspect he held back, only putting some effort as a sign of respect than assault. So to say would he act the same with another dragon? Hell no, he even skirmished with Alduin just to protect you. He fought his own brothers to protect mankind and taught them how to fight. What by far makes him stand out is not his power, not his age, but his willingness to protect others when he must, showing true leadership to the prime.

So in my personal view, Parthy would win, he has better knowledge with the Thu'um, once one of the most feared dragon behind Alduin, and I suspect more experience. Odav is strong, but he can sub-come to arrogance or pride, a common fault for many

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

You changed my opinion I agree with you, maybe he is weaker now but if dragons always were then it must stand to reason Parthy was stronger than him at some point.

Here's a follow up switch Parthy for durnevhiir

Edit: actually like to put that one on hold for now for a better question.

In an all out war of the primitive races who do you believe would win, imagine that some event left all the ten races extinct and the only races left were the primitive ones.

This would be the rieklings, goblins, falmer, giants, kwama, and just for fun imagine sheogorath for whatever reason let the Grummites invade in full force.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
The knee jerk answer is to say giants because they have the most firepower, but in the end Sheo's arky would probably have the numbers and ferocity to pull out a victory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:52 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

I actually thought about this the other day, and came up with a better scenario where instead of just war, it's survival and building of civilizations.

As in which of these races do you believe could become the new super power of tamriel. Imagine though that realistic competition occurs, as an example the giants would never have to compete with the kwama given their geographic locations, but they would have to deal with the rising (literally) falmer.

Personally I see the underdog winning here, and that being the Rieklings. Given their location are the best suited for expansion, and given their intelligence, I can imagine all it'd take was a smart enough leader with superior and tactics to over come the other beasts on Soltheism, and establish an empire into skyrim or morrowind, depending on which they'd better prefer to invade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
I doubt the rikilings would be able to do that as they would have to face the nords and i can't see them winning against them due to their numbers. As well as their equipment not being as good as the typical nordic stuff. That and they have no way of getting from Sosthiem to Skyrim as i doubt they know how to use a boat. Doubt that they'll invade Morrowind as that's just a pile of ash. And would have to deal with the Argonians which are very dangerous in numbers. They booted Dagon out of Black Marsh although at a huge cost.

I would say the giants would win but seeing as Sheogorath is very unpredictable, he could easily increase their strength and numbers. The Falmer pose a major threat as everyone is ignoring them. They are gathering their numbers and seem to be planning to invade Skyrim and they are very skilled. And dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

No the original question. Was all those races, the 10 we've played disappear like the dwarves and which one becomes the new empire/superpower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Mmmm.. in a conflict, I could easily say the Grummites due to their natures and only slightly best goblims at that<_< but I have to give it to the Falmer. Granted the Grummites live in a world full of horrors and they have to fight off some of the worst monsters imaginable, the Falmer still pose are far greater threat. They are without a doubt more savage and have made the depths of Nirn into their own land. For ages they still wage war with the machines the dwemer have left behind, and those things are no pushovers mind you. They have created cruel traps, tamed beasts, and actually show more intelligence than you'll think. Keep in mind, they still have not forgotten how to use magic, but by far it does not compare to when they were at their prime. So I simply say the Falmer would win due to these factors; savage nature, intelligence, and adaptation.

As for who'll probably become the most successful at colonizing and expansion<_< Goblins, hands down. While they may not be the strongest, they already have shown how diverse of terrain they can live in. The Falmer sadly are dependent on their food source and seem to prefer the vast networks that run across Skyrim. The Grummites need to have access to water, and so are bounded by how far in-land they can reach. They use the more humid, wet terrain for breeding and I doubt they would be successful in an arid or freezing environment. Reiklings really wouldn't know much of what to do on the mainland. All that they know is within the bitter cold, away from the monsters that even claim bears as a meal. They really only have been successful as a species due to being isolated, and thus are ignorant of the world beyond. Gaints actually could meet some success. They live as nomads, gathering herds and support intelligence, but sadly they are bound to their own size. They require more resources and thus cannot support a dense population..

So why do I say Goblins? While I already noted their adaptation, they also show the desire to expand and create new tribes rather than grow to dense. They have shown themselves to tame and herd creatures, so living as nomads would not be far fetched. They have long lived underneath humanity, even to the point of learning new means to advance themselves. So considering they already have pockets of land across much Tamriel already, they already have a head start at colonization. Their only draw back would be their tribes themselves. They lack unity, and will often attack another tribe for sheer control. They can possibly overcome this, but every tribal race at some point met this wall.

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm 

Akaviri would become the superpower in that case as they would virtually have no-one to stop them if everyone in tamriel disappeared overnight.

Seeing as this has been dead for the past few weeks, i'm going to post a scenerio.

Miraak vs Alduin.

I think Miraak would win and i suspect he was created by Akatosh just for the sole purpose of punishing the world eater. He claims that he could have done so if he cared to but i think it would have been a very close fight and i can see him asking Mora to give him the knowledge on how to render the World Eater mortal as the fight would have taken place during Alduin's reign over Skyrim.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Miraak without a doubt would win. Granted not just any dragonborn would be a threat to Alduin, but the fact that we can agree Miraak is top tier in that class.. till he got killed by the last of his kind. Still, Miraak has the advantage that he is man, not just mere dragon>_> thus he can use Thu'ums that are condemned by dragon kind. It's not a far fetch to see Miraak learning or already possessing the knowledge for Dragon-rend. Even then he has many other, even those that for their sole purpose to kill an individual dragon instantly. While Alduin may have some very unique traits and shouts at his luxury, so too does Miraak.. and the later kind of got the better deal if I do say so.

I must agree though, this thread does need some spicing up and cleaning :D But I think I know of a far better duel :wink:
To whom's followers are more beloved by their master, Azura and her Dunmer ~or~ Malacath and his Orcs?

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 pm 

True but i doubt he could instantly kill Alduin but he could do a lot of harm with that shout. When the first fought the last, the last was at the height of their power but i think Miraak's power was heavily surpressed due to him being trapped in Mora's realm.

I'm going to say Malacath would win. He knows a lot about warfare and orcs tend to be very bad for your health if they use their bezerk ability. Dunmer, they would have to try to avoid taking them head on in a battle as the orcs would defeat them. And Malacath's orcs know no fear. They would fight to the death in honour of Malacath. However, the dunmer have powerful mages and if used properly, could defeat the orcs. But if Nevaraine was summoned by Azure, i suspect the battle would be won by the Dunmer.

If it was a fight between Malacath and Azure, i think Malacath would win due to his nature.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:01 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

I wasn't meaning a conventional battle of sorts<_<
What I meant was which group of followers 'love' their master more. It's not a battle of wits or skill, but of culture and heritage.
It would be impossible to do it vice-versa simply because both deities treat their servants in different manners, one being more of n ever wise mother while the latter be a scolding yet protective father.
So really I ask, do the Orcs appreciate their lord more or less than the Dunmer/Chimer do with Azura??

Also I think it may be best to avoid any battles or fights between Daedra or the like. There already is a Thread for pairing off gods in death battles, and I am certain there are many more. Sadly they all seem to hit the same conclusion, unkillable gods and various factors render it pointless. Daedra are wise enough not to directly fight with each other or do so to the death.. bc nobody will ever win. It also draws on which realm is the arena, so Aedra tend to have the advantage on Nirn for obvious reasoning. So for the better good, may we please avoid brick walls or feeding of flames? :sweetroll:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
It's very apparent that neither of you know what you are talking about, no offense.

Miraak doesn't know Dragonrend. He's already lost. What was the point in this conversation? Also Miraak lost to a Dragon Priest. A one on one fight with a Dragon Priest, and he lost. Finally, Miraak's powers have only grown in his time in Mora's realm. What are you two talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: SargentLipton35
Alduin would win anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:03 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Skyrim
How about the Volikhar Vampire Clan vs The Dark Brotherhood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion (SI), Skyrim
legoless wrote:
Companions vs. Blackwood Company

One hundred drug-crazed mercenaries against a band of honourable Nord warriors/werewolves. I think Blackwood would prevail simply due to the numbers.

don't forget the blackwood company are mostly high on histsap in battles making them crazy and not able to tell friend or foe.
so the companions would have a nice tea party while the blackwood company is killing each other on sap of a tree

Could you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can? - Sun Tzu

Hidden:
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am 

The Dark Brotherhood pre 4th era or 4th era DB?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It doesn't matter. Either way, the Volkihar would win. The Dark Brotherhood is clearly not some unstoppable entity, and the fact that the vampires can replenish their already vast numbers on a moments notice is damning in this case. That combined with the powers that the leaders of the vampires would have would lead to yet another Dark Brotherhood defeat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:35 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Pre-Fourth Era Dark Brotherhood would be completely capable of assassinating Harkon if they devoted all of their resources towards it. After that, it's a simple attack on the castle. The Dawnguard were able to do it, and they were just a bunch of crossbow-equipped mercs. The Brotherhood's finest infiltrators and warriors would have an easy time of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

legoless wrote:
Pre-Fourth Era Dark Brotherhood would be completely capable of assassinating Harkon if they devoted all of their resources towards it. After that, it's a simple attack on the castle. The Dawnguard were able to do it, and they were just a bunch of crossbow-equipped mercs. The Brotherhood's finest infiltrators and warriors would have an easy time of it.

The Dawnguard that came with the Dragonborn? Not good logic at all. Also, the exact same thing happened to the Dark Brotherhood, in fact, they couldn't even detect the soul traitor that almost completely destroyed their entire organization. Lets be real.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:33 am 
Guardian
Guardian

I question that entirely. The entire Dark Brotherhood at its prime would slaughter harkon and his goons. A guildhall was in every city alone in Oblivion, and the one in Cheydinhal had around 12 members or so. They had far teaching influence and could assassinate even the most protected noblemen.

Harkon could be killed. It would be one of the hardest assassinations sure, but very manageable. Dark Brotherhood members made regular assassinations on bandits in their hideouts, the only difference for harkon would be increased security. But the essence of the mission has been done before, and they have daylight on their side.

Plus they could rally enough support to kill them.

The better question is Companions vs Volkihars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:09 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Firstly, the Dark Brotherhood would have an advantage especially if their on the offensive. Hell the shadowscales alone would be more than enough. True Harkon himself is very powerful, but he is not without weakness. His castle alone is full of potential entrances for an assassin. And we all know the Dark Brotherhood are capable of sneaking past what were believed impenetrable security and somehow walk away free. And while the Dark Brotherhood may have failed to snuff out their traitor in time, at least their not ready to tear out each others throat for a chance of dominance
Da_BossMaN69 wrote:
The better question is Companions vs Volkihars

Simple... Volkihars.. the Companions sadly are not the strongest and far from prepared to deal with such dark magic. They couldn't even stop some bandits that had silver tools, what makes you think they can take on a horde of true monsters<_<

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 am 

The volikhar would win. Whilst the castle has many entrances, the DB assassain would have to avoid hell hounds, vampires that use detect life and take out one without alerting the others. It can't be done. If the entire guild tried it, it would just result in a bit of a mess and a free meal for the clan.

As for the Companions, seeing as they barely managed to deal with a bunch of bandits with silver weapons, they would not last a second against the clan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next