UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Opinions on the Daedric Princes?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:56 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
Simple enough question really. What are your thoughts on the Daedric Princes?

My vote for favorite Daedra goes for Sheogorath because we honestly know him best. Honestly none of the others come close to Sheogorath for me. The only others that I have gotten to know well, Azura and Hircine were dull at best to me. Azura doesn't really seem to ever have a clear motive or domain to me. What originally seems to be mysterious and magical becomes pointless to me when his motives are never explained, and he never seems to act when it would be truly useful. He doesn't really help his subjects, though he is quite active in their affairs. Quite honestly Azura can be blamed for a great deal of the problems that her worshipers deal with and yet she is still a very popular Daedra. In the end Azura ends up as that annoying privileged kid that we all know as far as I am concerned, when he gets his way he doesn't really do much to show his appreciation, and when he doesn't... Well go play Morrowind, a lot of the problems are directly tied to his actions.

Hircine is much better defined but also incredibly dull, all he does is hunt. This would of been more interesting but combat stealth and intelligence has never really been a strong suit in the series. Sure, they are all functional features, you can fight your way through enemies, you can sneak past them, and you can out wit them to gain the upper hand. But none of these require much effort really, so we never really get to experience his sphere fully. Bloodmoon was amazing, but it still could of been better. Truly I think that the only real way we could of gotten a better experience with Hircine would of been to have another Bloodmoon happen in TES5, this would be a great way to include Solstheim in another game. Hopefully the more modern engine will allow us to more fully experience his domain.

So which are your favorite? Your most hated? The most interesting to you? Which ones are sleeping with the others behind the others backs (Hint: It's Azura and Malacath)? Tell us what you think!

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Daedric Princes?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 am 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 0
"Lord Drad took my ogres. Says he owns them. Lying maggot! They're MY ogres!"

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind (ish)
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I've always thought of the Princes as akin to Greek Gods, which is ironic since Greek Gods were supposedly good...even though they more manipulated mortals rather than oversee them, then there are the petty squabbles and rivalries...and wreaked terrible havoc if any mortal dared disagreed with them. I could further break this down with comparisons to Ares and Mehrunes Dagon, to Artemis and Hircine...even Dionysus and Sanguine. In fact all princes could probably be matched up to a Greek equivalent.

I think all of them have their merits, so I can't pick a particular favourite or less liked prince. But I would like to see them treated more equally, I've only played Oblivion but in that game Sheogorath/Jyggalag and of course Dagon kind of overshadowed the others.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Azura interests me the most as she (I am fairly certain in saying that we may call Azura a she as this is how she appears by choice) is the Daedra I see as the most involved and is seen as more benevolent and 'good' than some of here peers. Also, I am a big Dunmer fan and am interested in the curse, Azura's role in the Dunmeri culture, the game Morrowind and to a lesser extent, the creation myth of the khajiiti peoples, which also makes reference to Azura. In addition I liked here quest in Oblivion (although not necessarily my all time favorite Daedric shrine quest/reward) and I feel some connection to the Dawn and Dusk thing as opposed to say, "the domination and enslavement of mortals" or "hedonistic revelry, debauchery, and passionate indulgences of darker natures".

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]