UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Would Bretons mind if the Thalmor control man?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:02 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
As far as I know Bretons are half man half elf. If the Thalmor were to take full control of skyrim and cyrodill and break the empire, with the idea that "elves must dominate man" Would the Bretons protest? They are part elf. How would the thalmor treat them? Consider them impure elves and attack them, or respect them well enough?

(Previously The Black Weasel)

Post subject: Re: Would Bretons mind if the Thalmor control man?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:26 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: SargentLipton35
This is probably better in TES General. I definitely think they would protest. If the Thalmor took Skyrim, they would be able to take Hammerfell. Then move on to High Rock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:46 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Yeah, they would mind. Just because Bretons are a mixture of man and mer doesn't mean they'll like the Thalmor or that the Thalmor will like them. There are plenty of Altmer that hate the Thalmor let alone other races that hate them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
Bretons are men....you do know that they are more Man than Mer, right? That is how they are, you know, human and not elf. Just throwing that out there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: IV: GOTY, V: DG, HF, DB
Platform: PC (IV, V) & PS3 (V)
What Br3admax said.

And I'd think even other elves, like the Dunmer, would mind if the Thalmor came into power.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
They would because they are men but they may have elven blood in them. I suspect the Thalmor would accuse the Bretons of stealing magic from Elves as well as their blood. They would most likely treat them like [&@%!] and probably implement many anti-mage rules that only apply to the Bretons due to them being mages.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:48 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: daggerdall, morrowind, oblivion, skyrim
Platform: pc, xbox/360
The Black Weasel wrote:
As far as I know Bretons are half man half elf. If the Thalmor were to take full control of skyrim and cyrodill and break the empire, with the idea that "elves must dominate man" Would the Bretons protest? They are part elf. How would the thalmor treat them? Consider them impure elves and attack them, or respect them well enough?

Bretons are like 10% mer not half and half. And yes they would mind they're practically human the thalmor would hate them and bretons have generally been an active part of the empire for centuries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
They'd mind very much. They've prospered from the Empire for many centuries and are considered human by everyone. In fact the Kings and Queens of the old Bretony estates were Titus Mede's most fanatical supporters. The good one, not his doddering great grandson who rolled over for the Thalmor.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
Thelastdovah wrote:
They would because they are men but they may have elven blood in them. I suspect the Thalmor would accuse the Bretons of stealing magic from Elves as well as their blood. They would most likely treat them like [&@%!] and probably implement many anti-mage rules that only apply to the Bretons due to them being mages.

Are you serious? The Elves went around and raped/seduced their nedic slave woman. What does this even mean? None of this makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:08 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
They'd mind very much. They've prospered from the Empire for many centuries and are considered human by everyone. In fact the Kings and Queens of the old Bretony estates were Titus Mede's most fanatical supporters. The good one, not his doddering great grandson who rolled over for the Thalmor.

Pretty much what Pilaf said here. Once your personal, political, and economic interests start getting ruined, everyone starts to care. The Thalmor are sort of nice for that - one big party of "Man, those guys suck" with pretty much everyone else in Tamriel. ;)

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Bretons would probably be regarded as second class citizens or worse. I don't even think the Altmer think too highly of Bosmer, Dunmer, or especially Orsimer either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: daggerdall, morrowind, oblivion, skyrim
Platform: pc, xbox/360
Leckan wrote:
Bretons would probably be regarded as second class citizens or worse. I don't even think the Thalmor think too highly of Bosmer, Dunmer, or especially Orsimer either.

Fixed that for you, not every Altmer is a racist fanatic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's already been stated, but just underscoring the fact that Bretons are not "Mer". For one, all of the "Mer" races, with the possible exception of Orsimer have much longer lifespans than the mortal races of man. Even though they're called "Manmer", like the Orsimer, they would more than likely be considered a corruption or "half-breed", not to mention that their innate magic resistance possibly renders them as the greatest threat to the magic wielding Thalmor. My Breton takes no greater pleasure than convincing Thalmor patrols how weak their magic actually is. It's hard to look down your nose when it's getting smashed through the back of your skull.

If you cannot speak, you are not free.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:26 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

You have to keep in mind the Direnni interbreeding was thousands of years ago, now. They're simply mostly just humans now. There's been a lot of intermarrying with Nord and Imperial families over the centuries. The Elven blood and culture is very watered down. High Rock pretty much has its own unique race and culture. The Altmer feel no kinship with them and the feeling is mutual.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Raynil dralas wrote:
Leckan wrote:
Bretons would probably be regarded as second class citizens or worse. I don't even think the Thalmor think too highly of Bosmer, Dunmer, or especially Orsimer either.

Perhaps you are correct. However, aren't eugenics a common practice amongst Altmer to keep their race pure?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind
UESPoints: 7
Hey guys, moved this to the lore section because it fits better. Carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox360
Yea if our ally in skyrim can be trusted and the thalmor do indeed carry out ethnic purges against the bosmer, than I'm sure the Thalmor would see the bretons as just another sub-species.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:49 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

Leckan wrote:
Raynil dralas wrote:
Leckan wrote:

Perhaps you are correct. However, aren't eugenics a common practice amongst Altmer to keep their race pure?

The one official source of that is First PGE, and a Thalmor agent angrily complains about the bias against Altmer in the margins of that pamphlet. I believe the eugenics are a thing, but greatly exaggerated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, all DLC, Oblivion, GoTY and aniversary, arena
Platform: X360/PC, X360/PC, PC.
UESPoints: 2
Leckan wrote:
Raynil dralas wrote:
Leckan wrote:

There's only one source for it: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Gu ... i_Dominion

And you need only read the first paragraph or so to realise its just anti-elven vitriol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:21 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

Yeah. You have to remember the historical context for the First Pocket Guide. It was written during the Tiber Wars. Septim hadn't unified Tamriel yet. Hence "The Wild Regions" and the exotic, often derogatory descriptions of the nonhuman holdings. Michael Kirkbride and Kurt Kuhlmann intended it to be biased on two levels - the pamphlet itself and the scribblings of the Thalmor agent. His views balance out the pamphlet, but he carries his own bias and agenda. However, since these are his personal notes and not for public consumption we might assume they're slightly more honest than Septim's propaganda.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:36 pm 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
There's a book in-game where the elven author calls the Breton 'cursed' because they have the lifespan of a human, not an elf. In that regard, the mer would consider the Breton flawed elves at best, men at worst.

The Thalmor will truck no mercy upon them.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:41 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Also that. The Third Edition PGE is a far less biased and insulting piece.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Gu ... /Summerset

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:56 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 10
Less insulting, yes, but I doubt it's less biased. It's still propaganda, after all, and it's just as littered with uncorroborated information as the First Edition. Who's to say that the Third conveyed an understanding of life in Summerset any closer to the truth than the First? It seems to me they simply took on a different tone and emphasized (or fabricated) different facts to achieve different purposes.

They sought to alienate in the First Edition and thereby create hostility, because that was in the interests of the Empire. In the Third Edition, they sought to soothe and appease in order to foster conciliation, because that was in the interests of the Empire. The bias remains, it just manifests differently with changed circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
I really think this question is a little misleading, or at least that it somewhat misses the mark. I don't feel it's true to say that the Thalmor aim to "control man," even under the wildest MK-inspired reading of their motives. On the most sympathetic level of interpretation, the Thalmor are simply an ardent secessionist group who want freedom from the 'oppression' of the Empire of Man, and potentially to reforge the Aldmeri Dominion of old, and on the most hardcore of the hardcore levels they aim to undo creation and ascend (re-scend?) to their 'rightful' position. Men are really not the most prominent thing on the Thalmor's mind, in either interpretation. If anything, their an annoyance or an obstacle, but surely not a primary objective.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:32 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Minor Edits wrote:
Less insulting, yes, but I doubt it's less biased. It's still propaganda, after all, and it's just as littered with uncorroborated information as the First Edition. Who's to say that the Third conveyed an understanding of life in Summerset any closer to the truth than the First? It seems to me they simply took on a different tone and emphasized (or fabricated) different facts to achieve different purposes.

They sought to alienate in the First Edition and thereby create hostility, because that was in the interests of the Empire. In the Third Edition, they sought to soothe and appease in order to foster conciliation, because that was in the interests of the Empire. The bias remains, it just manifests differently with changed circumstances.

Less biased against the Altmer is what I meant.