Switch to full style
Topic locked

ESO Xbox One and PS4 Launch Date is...

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:06 pm

...June 9, 2015!

When will The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited be available?
We plan to have The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited available on PC and Mac on March 17, 2015 and on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on June 9, 2015.

Re: ESO Xbox One and PS4 Launch Date is...

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:52 pm

And a new pay-to-win model too.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Not sure how i feel about the new model. I'll continue playing, but if it effects my enjoyment of the game then i'm done.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:19 pm

"Does this mean the game is safe to play now?"

I don't think so. One of the reasons World of Warcraft is still so fun is because of the subscription. Never has the game had anything even remotely pay to win (and no, the level 90 boosts they're selling in the in-game store isn't pay to win at all, I'll explain why if anyone wants to know via something like a PM, don't wanna derail the thread) and it's kept the game a level experience for everyone.

Now without a subscription, I feel like it's going to be very, very easy to screw this up and turn it into pay to win garbage. Here's to hoping it does not turn out like that.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Who really cares though. PvP isn't really the game's strongpoint and I don't think many players are interested in the dungeon scoreboards. P2W is fine if it means more players in the abandoned EU server.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:38 pm

This is from the press release:
In addition, Bethesda will offer ESO Plus™ to players who wish to pay a single monthly charge for a premium membership service, providing exclusive in-game bonuses, a monthly allotment of crowns to use in the store and access to all DLC game packs while a member. PC/Mac players with active subscriptions on 17th March will be automatically enrolled into ESO Plus and begin enjoying its membership privileges.

Best case scenario it'll be P2W for those who play for free, and subscribers can get everything they need without extra payment. I'll get to ckeck out the Plus membership for at least for one month with my current subscription model. If the privileges are worth the price I might keep subscribing.

To be honest I'm not into PvP and leaderboards don't interest me either. As long as I get interesting story quests I'll probably continue playing at least casually. Whether I'll invest any money into it remains to be seen.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:31 pm

I guess it depends on what you consider "pay to win" to include. At the moment, I'm inclined to agree with ZOS that time-shortcuts are not P2W, which is all they are offering in addition to cosmetics right now. If they start selling stuff that affects gameplay difficulty in the store though (eg "better" gear), then there will be a problem.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Enodoc wrote:I guess it depends on what you consider "pay to win" to include. At the moment, I'm inclined to agree with ZOS that time-shortcuts are not P2W, which is all they are offering in addition to cosmetics right now. If they start selling stuff that affects gameplay difficulty in the store though (eg "better" gear), then there will be a problem.

Agreed. And I guess I'll have to get an Xbox One now...

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 am

I am a little excited just because it will bring more people into the game, including myself. Free-to-play systems are tricky and hopefully they take after Team Fortress 2 and World of Tanks in how they create their system.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:33 pm

umadbro? wrote:Free-to-play systems are tricky and hopefully they take after Team Fortress 2 and World of Tanks in how they create their system.

Except it won't be free to play. You'll need to buy the game, and if you play on a console, you'll need that console's premium service subscription.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:20 pm

My bad, I meant the first payment aside they should model, what is bought in game through micro-transactions, after those two games. Still, I don't think this is such a bad thing as you can buy the game in DVD format off of Amazon for about $35. That is the PC price of course, because about $60 will need to be forked over for the other versions to come.

Also as a side note, the console subscription rates are well under a $15 per month subscription plan for one game. Instead about $5 a month is payed and multiple games can be played online, opposed to just one game.

Of course, the game always has a chance of being pay-to-win. Hopefully Bethesda will see the success of other free-to-plays and work from there.

Only time will truly tell.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Imo destiny has done a pretty good job with a similar model. You buy the game then pay for Xbox live or playstation plus and whatever dlcs. As long as they are able to keep it relatively even I'm fine with this. And as a console player in stoked to finally have the opportunity to play eso.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 pm

For what it's worth, I will be on Xbox One's ESO (NA) come launch. Currently on pc until release, both pc and gamertag info in my profile.
Topic locked