UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wisdom teeth extraction.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:02 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind Goty, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 0
Yes, fellow forum dwellers; you read right. Now, I have done as much reserch as I can in the past 8 hours, and I am convinced that I can perform the procedure upon my self. I dont have medical benifits, so dont give a spheel about how i shouldnt do it. It [&@%!] hurts, i'm not exactly in the best financial position and I only have one tooth protruding the upper left side of my toothline. The upper right hasnt affected me yet. I'm not crazy(well im not really crazy) but with my current situation, im going to have my wisdom tooth fully protruding within the next new years. I have a nurse on staff with me( a bit young, and i am definatly forcing her to help me in my plight.

I know that i will need stiches, which i am willing to do.
I know i need a shot of lidocaine/novocain/or midazam
I am prepaired for blood loss, but i am not sure if i need to cause blood clotting, or thin my blood out.

Any competent medical practioners in the forums able to add insight to what else is needed. Im not asking for the cons of a self-induced surgery, I am asking for help in how one can knowledgeably and safely perform this operation on my self. DO NOT REPLY IF YOU WISH TO SWAY MY DECISION. Thank you, and have a great day, bros and she-bros.

Post subject: Re: Wisdom teeth extraction.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim.
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
WHOOOOO! HOME SURGERY!

EDIT; Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
You could look into medical schools...they will perform the surgery for a very, very reduced price, give you a payment option, and all, on top of being much more sanitary.

Not swaying your decision - just giving you some advice to consider.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:41 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox
Other Profiles: Creator Of All (Xbox)
Pliers and a bottle of whiskey.

Post pics.

I somehow feel that if the mods were all gods.. Believe would surely be the God of Awesome and Booze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:18 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Buddy, the only sane advice possible here is "don't!". You may not want people to try to "sway your decision", but since it's a stupid-ass decision, it would be irresponsible to do anything else. It's insanely dangerous and there's a good chance you'll end up stabbing yourself in the tonsils and driving to the nearest ER (and you'll have to pay the medical bill for the visit). Think about it, it's freakin wisdom teeth, not an open heart surgery. It's not going to bankrupt you even if you don't have medical benefits. Borrow some cash, ask family for help, find a teaching hospital or the cheapest dentist in town, sell your TV on ebay, spend a week working nights at a gas station, save money by buying the cheapest food you can find - any of those options is better than cutting your own teeth out!

That said, I really hope it's supposed to be a troll-thread and not a serious one.

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Your profile states you're a high risk security analyst, so I assume you've thought the potential complications out already

When I had two of my wisdom teeth removed I was unconscious so I don't know what the procedure involved, but for a week afterward my face was covered in large bruises (and I almost never show bruising). I'm just a bit skeptic about you being able to exert that kind of force upon your own head, from the point of view of mechanics. Pulling away from your mouth would require not just a lot of upper body strength in unusual motion but also a strong neck (neck trauma isn't fun, speaking from experience). The alternative would seem to be rolling your fist over your jaw or face (is it your uppers or lowers?) while holding the pliers, but you're going to have a lot of the aforementioned bruising and it might not be possible to keep the correct angle.

Do you plan to break the teeth before attempting extraction?

FWIW I don't think it's the most prudent idea, but it sure is interesting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 pm 
Champion
Champion

^ In the same way that checking what your gin and tonic would taste like if you added a dash of drain cleaner is interesting...

Seoriusly, this sounds like the beginning of a Darwin Awards story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
Champion
Champion

Put out a Kickstarter for us. I'll pay for anything that involves beating the US health system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:06 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skryim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall
Remove teeth with pliers, insert in bellybutton, post pics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:21 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TES IV,V
Platform: Xbox 360
I don't think this is a good idea, but if you end up going through with it, I cannot even begin to elucidate how important it is that you post pics.

Last edited by L.Ron Hubbard on Fri May 13th, 2011 12:34 PM, edited 46 and 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:14 pm 
Archmage
Archmage

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: AbroadHarpy22 Steam: Hissien
UESPoints: 1
This is an absolutely awful idea.... Please dont do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 pm 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games: III - V GOTY, Online
Platform: PS4, Steam
Going IN
Spoiler:

Coming OUT
Spoiler:

For your own sake, consider another course of action.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Layman
Layman

I plan to attain xrays of my teeth via inside source. I will try to copy a picture of my xray to give you a visual idea of what I am attempting. I only recall my doctor applying local anesthesia while I was concious, and that the doctor had broken my two wisdom teeth on my lower jaw. If it does not affect the integrity of my jaw, I will be attempting an inscision, then breaking the teeth in place.

I am currently researching the proper tools inwhich a dentist would either shatter or extract a wisdom tooth. My on staff nurse says that the tools are easy to obtain, but the actuall suture kit and dissolving thread are a bit more tricky. I have been considering cauterizing the wound as a last resort, as it is the almost immidiate way to speed the progression of bacterial infection. Again, this is a stupid idea, but being in debt with one's daughters mother leaves one to choose the thrifty, and often stupid options/solutions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:18 pm 
Champion
Champion

I would say your choice of planning this out was very *takes off sunglasses* wise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:22 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I still think you'd be a fool not to research dental schools. They do it for next to nothing; some may even do it for nothing, if you can demonstrate your need. Seriously.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 pm 
Warder
Warder

I say do it yourself, there is probably a wikihow video on extracting your own wisdom teeth. What's the worst that could happen the tooth gets all smashed up or you break your jaw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 pm 
Champion
Champion

Bromance, the complete idiocy of this idea makes me angry. You have a brain. Use it, for the love of Azura!!!!! (See what you've made me do? Multiple exclamation points, that's what!) I'd sell all my furniture on ebay and live out of cardboard boxes before I'd start considering anything remotely like this moronic plan. You obviously have a computer and an Internet connection. Unless you're working from home, that's a nice amount of cash you're using mostly on entertainment instead of not maiming yourself horribly. First world problems indeed - you will play Skyrim, but won't go to see a doctor because it's too expensive...

Unless the US medical system is even more fracked up than I've thought and it costs half year's wages to get rid of a single tooth (in which case you should still go and see someone with an actual medical degree and just declare bancrupcy)? Here in Poland, at a private practice, it costs around 50 dollars (the minimum pay is around 430, the average pay around 1150). It's a lot, but affordable for most people and those who can't pay this much have several other options...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
UESPoints: 6
I assume he's either trolling for attention or to cause a stir about how terrible healthcare is in the US.

My Skyrim mods:
Saturalia * Babette's Feast * Additional Amulets * Noble Female Clothes

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:37 pm 
Layman
Layman

Sure, I just love to make a stir on a forum about the elder scrolls. I don't expect you all to agree with me or my reasonings, but I truly am in a financial bind. It truely is hard being a underpaid, over worked veteran, even with the benifits I receive. I'm not asking for kudos, nor am I asking for a sway of judgement. I am simply asking for an outside input on a wisdom tooth removal. This is the one forum that I thought would have my support. All the diy/medical boards have said the same thing as far as no support to my endevors.

With that, I am currently looking for information on the nevrve endings in the jaw, and would appriciate help as to how nevres in the jawline work, and how the integrity of the jawline is affected once removal, incisions, or impact to the jaw effects the integrity. I am hoping to expediantly recreate the procedure at home. If this forum is too much for you hippies and yanks to comprihend, please pm me, otherwise, please keep on topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
To be honest, if it's just a forum about Elder Scrolls, then what makes you think this would be the best place to ask about dental surgery tips? If the general consensus on both medical sites, and forums like these is that you shouldn't do it... well, it would be smart to listen.

You are more likely to cock up that procedure then anything else, and all that would happen then is that you would have to pay three times the amount to sort out the bloody mess you just made in your mouth. For someone with financial problems, this wouldn't exactly help you out much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 am 
Archmage
Archmage

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim
Other Profiles: Xbox: AbroadHarpy22 Steam: Hissien
UESPoints: 1
Bromance wrote:
Sure, I just love to make a stir on a forum about the elder scrolls. I don't expect you all to agree with me or my reasonings, but I truly am in a financial bind. It truely is hard being a underpaid, over worked veteran, even with the benifits I receive. I'm not asking for kudos, nor am I asking for a sway of judgement. I am simply asking for an outside input on a wisdom tooth removal..

It is truly hard for a lot of people in the world it doesnt mean you should risk bleeding out to death or seriously damaging your nerves! :cry: Please try to find an alternative method, you can try to get a payment plan in place or go to a medical school like Avron said, just please don't try this at home! If nothing else you will probably get an infection.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena
My mom us a nurse my uncle is a doctor, they sya, these pepole saying thee times the cost have no idea what they are talking about, best case moment its at least an ER vist + amblance bill, and depinding on what you do it raises the price, you could do it wrong not even know and not even kidding DIE.
this is not a joke, go look up medevil time's many pepole died becuse they "removed" bad teath, dont even try it, teath problems can and will kill you, this is not a joke what so ever.

removing the tooth can saue a hell of a lot of problems, just for starters, infections, there are some NASTY things you can get form a tooth infection, most common is not being able to eat, worst is diying form mutiple things. even if you read all the books there are, do not do it
the odds of you doing it right are slim, and if you want to do it right you will have to buy somethings
things that cost money, and the more chance you want to get it right the more they will cost, your better off 100% going to the doctor

I know doctores cost a heck of a lot, but its better then you doing it your self and killing your self
These guys go ot schools for YEARS pratcing before they ever even try it what makes youi think you can do it?

You may get luckiy and do it right, but I'm sure as heck not willing to do that when the odds are I will end up paying more becuse of it or even die, also are YOU going to be doing it? all it takes is one flinch for it to be the end of you man, not even funny.

Last edited by Wolfie on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Dean's right, and if you're in a financial bind - why not take advice from someone in the same situation also in a financial bind? I mean, I could get up on my soapbox, but I like to leave it under the bed for, you know, soap and stuff. That's where it belongs!

Seriously, what country are you in, the US? What state? I'll even find you dental schools. It's as easy as a Google search.

I think anyone who presents the situation and learns of a safer alternative but doesn't look into it or acknowledge it is...well, silly.

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena
Hell, I'd even see if I could find some sort of clinic for "poor" pepole, that chrtages next to nothing, or even free if its bad enough

Anything is better then this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:43 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox
Other Profiles: Creator Of All (Xbox)
I've heard jumping in front of moving trains is also a great way to remove teeth, and other unwanted bones from your body.

I somehow feel that if the mods were all gods.. Believe would surely be the God of Awesome and Booze

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next