UESP Forums
https://forums.uesp.net/

New rules regarding the General Banter subforum
https://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32588
Page 4 of 6

Author:  The Raven [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

If you get mad over something on the internet, you're using the internet wrong. If you want internet for mad, go to Stormfront or Chimpout, pls.

Author:  OblivionDuruza [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Guys, seriously. While you've all got some valid points, you don't even have to look further than this very thread itself to see why the Mod Team has come to the decision that they have on this issue ... Just stop for a minute and look at how this very thread has devolved into more of the same.

Author:  Sav [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

OblivionDuruza wrote:
Guys, seriously. While you've all got some valid points, you don't even have to look further than this very thread itself to see why the Mod Team has come to the decision that they have on this issue ... Just stop for a minute and look at how this very thread has devolved into more of the same.



This.

Author:  Ed~ [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Raven has a valid assertion though.

The same person who founded, or was a focus of the majority of arguments in the political/religious threads is also who has started the bickering here.

Before their arrival, everything was fine and dandy.

Perhaps the problem doesn't lie within the majority, but those certain minority.

Author:  POMC S117 [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

The thread was not locked because of "bickering". It was locked due to constant insults. Most posts were punctuated by some slander.

Author:  Witchery [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

I support this wholeheartedly! I like a friendly atmosphere. . especially on a forum that wasn't exactly created for debates. If you want to debate . . Here you go. :P

Author:  House of the Wolf [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

When it pertains to insults, where is the line? I've always felt it acceptable to attack someone's ideas and words, but I've personally drawn the line when it comes to the person behind them (with one very clear exception).

I feel that sometimes users misconstrue shaggier say, in that regard, and immediately jump on the defensive.

I'm not saying that I'm right, but I do want to point-out my perspective, and figure-out if this is what people are referring to in this thread.

Author:  Kestral [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Everyone complaining is acting like a toy has been taken away from them. From what I've seen, the minority that were responsible was the minority that participated, peppered in with a few other people here and there. But, these things didn't go the way they did because of that minority and how they have no conceivable notion of an actual debate, but because this is what people do. They get told that they are wrong and become incensed. People do that, not just a minority.

Debate threads were a privledge to the forum, too, and the fact that no one came in and said "Guys, we're behaving like 5 year olds" says that the forum isn't ready for a debate thread or forum.

Author:  Witchery [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

House of the Wolf wrote:
When it pertains to insults, where is the line? I've always felt it acceptable to attack someone's ideas and words, but I've personally drawn the line when it comes to the person behind them (with one very clear exception).

I feel that sometimes users misconstrue shaggier say, in that regard, and immediately jump on the defensive.

I'm not saying that I'm right, but I do want to point-out my perspective, and figure-out if this is what people are referring to in this thread.


:| Challenge? Perhaps. Attack? No, sorry.

Author:  Wolfie [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Attacking someone IS against the rules, even what they believe is "wrong" to you or heck even evrey one else

it was not that as much as calling someone "stupid" or any other personal attack

and then there is going off topic which the mods give us some leeway with but we take it to far and last but not least is the never ending debate something and its the same thing over and over and over because each side thinks "their point" will end the debate but ti don’t so both sides keep posting the same thing, some time even the same words!


A debate is NOT to attack someones beliefs, if your debating for that then your not debating

A debate SHOULD be
Guy #1 "I think TES sounds cooler then ES.
Guy #2 I disagree, "The" is never used in the abbreviations, and it sounds better as ES.
Guy #1 While true in most cases that’s not always true, more so with today’s form of text msg and shorthanded
Guy #2 While true enough I fail to see how text msg means "TES" can be used.

It would go on like that

No asking how stupid someone is, no calling them any short of name or insulting them in anyway.

Author:  House of the Wolf [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Witchery wrote:
House of the Wolf wrote:
When it pertains to insults, where is the line? I've always felt it acceptable to attack someone's ideas and words, but I've personally drawn the line when it comes to the person behind them (with one very clear exception).

I feel that sometimes users misconstrue shaggier say, in that regard, and immediately jump on the defensive.

I'm not saying that I'm right, but I do want to point-out my perspective, and figure-out if this is what people are referring to in this thread.


:| Challenge? Perhaps. Attack? No, sorry.


Poor choice of words on my part. Attack was simpler to type in my phone. :P

But you're a prime example, for me; you weren't ever the target of my input on religion; simply religion, in general. But, as I apologized then, I'll apologize now.

Author:  Wolfie [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

But thats our point, you are a mature person and you still messed up to, it has nothing to do with "being inmature" its the topics, its almost imposible not to break the rules during those threads they get to heated.
almost anyone would do it, and giving the right topic WOULD 100%

Author:  Cardbird [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

They shouldn't get heated. That's everyone who really took part in them's fault for not understanding what a debate is. :|

Author:  Wolfie [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Cardbird wrote:
They shouldn't get heated. That's everyone who really took part in them's fault for not understanding what a debate is. :|

nothing says a debate can not get heated, a debate is talking about your belifes and seeing the other side, nothing says you cant get mad


and its not their fault, if I pick a subject that is "yours" like that was to them you would do the same thing

evrey single person on this earth has at least one

We are only human and feelings get in the way we cant contorl our feelings.
Debates get heated all the time in the real world, let alone on the internet where its proven where more likely to do thingsw like agure and get mad at others.

Author:  Kestral [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

=Getting angry in debate is a sure-fire way to debate poorly. You can debate an issue that it's intimate to you, such as gay rights or the fate of Egypt or Syria, but getting flustered over it shows how poor you can actually debate.

Author:  Scozzar [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

You see, these "debates" are nothing more than arguments. Every debate thread wasn't a debate at all, more of just an argument. Even if some started out as a debate within 10 posts it was an argument either for or against it.

Author:  scribbane [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

I have a post I'd like to make, but I'm on my phone at work, and for some reason its too long to post. If we can avoid locking this thread for about 4 hours, I'd appreciate it.

Author:  Wolfie [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Quote:
You see, these "debates" are nothing more than arguments. Every debate thread wasn't a debate at all, more of just an argument. Even if some started out as a debate within 10 posts it was an argument either for or against it.

I really think the problem is that an argument IS a debate just when the tempers flar, I know some will say "No its not" and thats fine but they go hand and hand and they both atempt to do the same thing form where I'm standing

even in a debate you make a point or argument aginst the other side.



(Want to point out I agree with the rule of no more of them)

Do you feel a debate is diffreint form an aguement and if so how?

Author:  Musicman247 [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Let's not start a debate or argument about debates or arguments in the thread that says no more debates or arguments.

Author:  Wolfie [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Not trying to debate but more of a questionm I thgout it was just

Quote:
So after a long debate of our own regarding this topic, we have decided it would be better if we excluded political, religious and other controversial topics like these from the forums indefinitely.

Is it all types and not just those? :?:

If its all then sorry but I was under the impresion it was only things like faith, rights, and which presdeint is better...

Author:  Musicman247 [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Those are the main things we want to steer clear of, the things that people are most entrenched in their beliefs toward.

I was mainly commenting that your post was somewhat off-topic (the topic being the new policy).

Author:  Wolfie [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

h okay, regarding the topic dose it also go for those types of topics within TES?

like how the cival war WAS like? or is it only real world cases?

Author:  Kestral [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Quote:
So after a long debate of our own regarding this topic, we have decided it would be better if we excluded political, religious and other controversial topics like these from the forums indefinitely.

Author:  Wolfie [ Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

that dont tell me anything, what do the mean by "like these" do they count Skyrim topics like that?
or do they mean real world exsamples?
what is considerd a controversial topic, in theroy the fact that ps3 still dont have dawngaurd could be counted as an controversial topic

Author:  Witchery [ Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New rules regarding the General Banter subforum

Wolfie wrote:
that dont tell me anything, what do the mean by "like these" do they count Skyrim topics like that?
or do they mean real world exsamples?
what is considerd a controversial topic, in theroy the fact that ps3 still dont have dawngaurd could be counted as an controversial topic


I'm pretty sure it means what it says. Anything controversial like politics and religion -- something most people have strong feelings on, something that pertains to who they are as a person and how they feel about certain issues. In other words, "touchy subjects." :)

Page 4 of 6 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/