UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Loading

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Spanking?
Y 76%  76%  [ 34 ]
N 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 45
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 am 
Offline
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 am
Posts: 2876
Location: Your dreams
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Status: Smurfin'
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
I think if it's between two consenting adults anything should be allowed.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 am 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:15 am
Posts: 450
Location: Standing tall in the valley, beneath the shadow.
Status: Watching. Always Watching.
UESPoints: 0
Anything?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 am 
Offline
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 am
Posts: 2876
Location: Your dreams
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Status: Smurfin'
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
Did I stutter? :|

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:03 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 2391
ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
Status: Idon't have 888 posts anymore, but I do have cake
UESPoints: 0
Musicman247 wrote:
Did I stutter? :|

yes you did, at least in my morbid and out of wack imagination

_________________
HatofMadness wrote:
To protect the forums from devastation.
To unite all members within our nation.
To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.


Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 pm 
Offline
Champion
Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:26 am
Posts: 938
ES Games: III GOTY, IV GOTY, V-All DLC
Platform: Xbox, PC
Status: Scrib Kill Count: 289
Other Profiles: Xbox-piercem3
UESPoints: 7
Leyyuce wrote:
@Scribbane:

Eventually, if the applicable behavior continues despite the parents' attempts at explanation and reasoning, the child should find him or herself to have caused such harm as to understand why said action is wrong. I disagree with the second paragraph of your post in that I believe, if properly disciplined, a child will avoid improper behaviors of their own free will simply as they are wrong- without any sort of punishment being involved. The potential consequences should have no bearing; what's restraining them, as I'd proposed earlier, when they deem the consequences of an action to be either avoidable or dismissible? (This isn't a blanket statement, of course- their are certainly situations where I'd deem non-physical punishment to be necessary.)

Do you believe such punishments to be a temporary solution- that the child's sense of right and wrong will develop as they mature?


Yes I do. I think that early on in childhood, children are learning the concept of morality. They are learning what is acceptable through trial and error, in addition to being taught. So if a young boy slaps his young brother, he should be punished. This will reinforce the idea that this is wrong. If this is also explained to him, he should learn that slapping is wrong just because it is, but if he does slap, he will get punished. I think this applies to people in general; they know something is wrong and don't do it because its wrong, but also because they don't want the consequences. If there weren't consequences, I'd run redlights half the time, even though I know its wrong. But I digress a bit.

They should be temporary solutions. I stopped getting punished by my parents years ago because I had learned the proper way to act. When I did mess up and do something wrong, I was no longer getting grounded or sent to my room, I just had the "talk" and that was it. I was old enough to learn from the conversation without needing punishments.

_________________
BetaB17 wrote:
scrib - Chief of Security & not giving a [&@%!]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 am
Posts: 284
Location: Inner Sphere
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (All PC)
Platform: PC, 3DS
Status: Piloting a MadCat Mk2
UESPoints: 1
Dean wrote:
I was a complete stubborn [&@%!] when I was younger, I'm glad my parents gave me a clip or a smack now and then to keep me in line when I really messed up. I hate the fact the human rights activists(people who went way to far with rights that we must fear everything we do) have demonised the action... probably why young kids are so damn bratty and spoiled now.
I don't condone spanking for everything, but a parent with any form of common sense should know what warrants one.

Sometimes I just want to smack the parents of some children, 'keep your damn kids under control you useless cretins!'


Pretty much, because of the negative light this form of discipline has gotten, it has adversely affected children who otherwise would've grown up to be respectful people.

I know a nephew of mine who basically was raised in a double negative, no discipline besides verbal (They won't care after a while when they realize nothing will happen to them), and a bad environment due to the family itself. This latter part has been resolved, and he's getting better thankfully.

So yes, spanking your kids within reason should be allowed, I was spanked as a kid and it set me on the right path. There is a reason why these deterrents worked, they made us pay attention to what was being said and avoid the situation in the future...And from it we learned morals and respect. I think those that do demonize this practice held a grudge against their parents for doing so.

_________________
Avron the S'wit wrote:
Fiar, you so sassy <3

Heard it here, folks!
Formerly known as FireAcolyte, but now twice as awesome
UESP's Burning Marshmallow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 am
Posts: 115
ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: PC and Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
Short story:
I said something when I was younger, got smacked, learned not to run my mouth so much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:16 am
Posts: 244
Location: The Evergloam
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
UESPoints: 0
I think I got a slight hit on the back of my leg once and it was more the fear of being punished that made me behave. My parents did a great job with raising me and my sister, had some typical kid tantrums but my parents used different methods rather than hitting.
When I was about seven, I wanted a chocolate bar from a shop when walking back from school with my mum but wasn't allowed. I wouldn't move so after about five minutes my mum just left me dragging my sister with her. Of course I know now she just waited around the corner but I was in tears because of the shock and thought she had left me for good. A few minutes later she came back and dragged me home and of course I behaved like an angel for the rest of the week.

I think if the child really acting out then a slight smack on the thigh should be fine, but it shouldn't be the only solution. I can think of times where I deserved a smack but a talking-to by a red-faced parent was usually enough.

_________________
A hero can be anyone, even a man doing some as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:48 am
Posts: 168
ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Arena.
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 0
Spanking seems fine to me IF you're doing it properly. If you do it to discipline your kid and make them remember what they did wrong, then I can't see why any mental damage would arise, unless you hit them too hard. Enough for them to remember should be fine, IMO, but if they have much pain afterwards you may have gone too far. Also, spanking is probably the oldest form of discipline, and seems to have worked so far. It's spoken of in the Bible, I believe.
Spanking out of rage is stupid, but I've seen it happen a lot. That could probably mess up your kid.
"YOU BROKE MY PHONE ACCIDENTALLY? WTF *WHACKWHACKWHACK* ARROGANT BRAT THAT WILL TEACH YOU THAT IT IS BAD TO BREAK PHONES! BUT I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE I LOVE YOU. IT HURTS ME A LOT MORE THAN YOU! *WHACKWHACKWHACK*" = Not cool.

If I have a kid/kids, which I hope not to, I'm not sure if I'll spank them. There are other forms of discipline to employ.

_________________
"The most important tool in the thieves' repertoire is distraction, either planned or improvised." - Purloined Shadows.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:35 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am
Posts: 88
Location: The coolest place you can imagine x100
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, and Morrowind
Platform: PC and PS3
UESPoints: 0
Are men and women spanked at work when they don't follow the rules of the business? No. If you don't harm adult buttoxes for doing something wrong, don't harm a child. Instead of "if I do this I will feel pain," the child should think something like "if I do this I can't play my Mario games for two weeks."

_________________
Good and Evil do not exist.

Image

Pro-Imperial/Pro-Parthurnaax
Anti-Thalmor/Anti-Stormcloak/Anti-Blades

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:15 am
Posts: 450
Location: Standing tall in the valley, beneath the shadow.
Status: Watching. Always Watching.
UESPoints: 0
That's a silly argument to make, considering that spanking only works on little children.

Adults have bills to worry about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 4680
Status: Gone
UESPoints: 0
Yes, adults do get spanked... it is called being fired.

Unfortunatly, you cannot fire your children... or set them on fire either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 2391
ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
Status: Idon't have 888 posts anymore, but I do have cake
UESPoints: 0
Jeff wrote:
Yes, adults do get spanked... it is called being fired.

Unfortunatly, you cannot fire your children... or set them on fire either.

i get the odd feeling you would set your kids on fire......

_________________
HatofMadness wrote:
To protect the forums from devastation.
To unite all members within our nation.
To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.


Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:46 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 4680
Status: Gone
UESPoints: 0
...only to teach them the drop and roll techique. ...so they will be able to survive being set on fire.

Plus, it is a good Ninja evasion techique, as it is harder for them to catch you (hold on) when you are on fire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 2391
ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
Status: Idon't have 888 posts anymore, but I do have cake
UESPoints: 0
Jeff wrote:
...only to teach them the drop and roll techique. ...so they will be able to survive being set on fire.

Plus, it is a good Ninja evasion techique, as it is harder for them to catch you (hold on) when you are on fire.

wouldn't that kill you in the process?

_________________
HatofMadness wrote:
To protect the forums from devastation.
To unite all members within our nation.
To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.


Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 4680
Status: Gone
UESPoints: 0
Only if you do not build up a tollerance for it.

This is why I would feed them poisons as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am
Posts: 88
Location: The coolest place you can imagine x100
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, and Morrowind
Platform: PC and PS3
UESPoints: 0
I really hope you are joking. Getting fired and paying bills cause no physical pain. Try to imagine your boss hitting your ass with a a paddle because you weren't working efficiently.

_________________
Good and Evil do not exist.

Image

Pro-Imperial/Pro-Parthurnaax
Anti-Thalmor/Anti-Stormcloak/Anti-Blades

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 2391
ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
Status: Idon't have 888 posts anymore, but I do have cake
UESPoints: 0
cypruss11 wrote:
I really hope you are joking. Getting fired and paying bills cause no physical pain. Try to imagine your boss hitting your ass with a a paddle because you weren't working efficiently.

mental images man.....

_________________
HatofMadness wrote:
To protect the forums from devastation.
To unite all members within our nation.
To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.


Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:53 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 4680
Status: Gone
UESPoints: 0
...actually, I have used pain as a corrective action quite a bit at work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am
Posts: 88
Location: The coolest place you can imagine x100
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, and Morrowind
Platform: PC and PS3
UESPoints: 0
Jeff wrote:
...actually, I have used pain as a corrective action quite a bit at work.

And where might you live? I am rather certain such methods are illegal.

_________________
Good and Evil do not exist.

Image

Pro-Imperial/Pro-Parthurnaax
Anti-Thalmor/Anti-Stormcloak/Anti-Blades

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:00 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm
Posts: 4680
Status: Gone
UESPoints: 0
In the Army


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 pm
Posts: 300
Location: Cyclopean and many-columned Y'ha-nthlei
ES Games: 1, 2, 3 & Tactics
Platform: PC
Status: doesn't really come from outer space
UESPoints: 0
I think chick flicks, Barbara Streisand movies and movies including Sarah Jessica Parker would be the ultimate torment. Hell, the children would learn from that... or perhaps not the girls, hmm, I am not touching sexuality on this one, but I know that I would rather die than go through the afore mentioned form of torment/punishment.

_________________
Avron the S'wit wrote:
Hippie, you are too cool.

“I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. ”
"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 2391
ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
Status: Idon't have 888 posts anymore, but I do have cake
UESPoints: 0
the Savage Hippie wrote:
I think chick flicks, Barbara Streisand movies and movies including Sarah Jessica Parker would be the ultimate torment. Hell, the children would learn from that... or perhaps not the girls, hmm, I am not touching sexuality on this one, but I know that I would rather die than go through the afore mentioned form of torment/punishment.

you know what would torment any kid? forcing them to listen to justin bieber for an hour, thats right...

_________________
HatofMadness wrote:
To protect the forums from devastation.
To unite all members within our nation.
To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.


Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:15 am
Posts: 450
Location: Standing tall in the valley, beneath the shadow.
Status: Watching. Always Watching.
UESPoints: 0
cypruss11 wrote:
I really hope you are joking. Getting fired and paying bills cause no physical pain. Try to imagine your boss hitting your ass with a a paddle because you weren't working efficiently.


My boss is my mother, so that's easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spanking [Y/N]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 pm
Posts: 300
Location: Cyclopean and many-columned Y'ha-nthlei
ES Games: 1, 2, 3 & Tactics
Platform: PC
Status: doesn't really come from outer space
UESPoints: 0
Haha, or Rebecca Black. True.

_________________
Avron the S'wit wrote:
Hippie, you are too cool.

“I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. ”
"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Sponsored Links

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group