Y
76%
N
24%

Total votes : 45

Re: Spanking [Y/N]

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:49 pm

@Scribbane:

Eventually, if the applicable behavior continues despite the parents' attempts at explanation and reasoning, the child should find him or herself to have caused such harm as to understand why said action is wrong. I disagree with the second paragraph of your post in that I believe, if properly disciplined, a child will avoid improper behaviors of their own free will simply as they are wrong- without any sort of punishment being involved. The potential consequences should have no bearing; what's restraining them, as I'd proposed earlier, when they deem the consequences of an action to be either avoidable or dismissible? (This isn't a blanket statement, of course- their are certainly situations where I'd deem non-physical punishment to be necessary.)

Do you believe such punishments to be a temporary solution- that the child's sense of right and wrong will develop as they mature?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:53 pm

That's what just about everyone here does.

"no, let him touch it"
"ow!"
" there, it's child proofed"

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Yes and no.

In some cases words aren't enough. True story.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:39 pm

If you do that, you'll go blind!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Not if you wear protective gear.

*really, I am dissapointed, that was all you could come up with*

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 pm

I was afraid "uuHuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh" would be a bit before people's times.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

One should not seek the aid of a violent act to intimidate others, one should not use fear as a weapon neither.
If one should do so anyway, it would be what I consider as terrorism.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Terrorism does not compare to spanking, hippie.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm

No spanking = children like this

YouTube Link

I'm sorry but "Okay now billy, please get up and stop it" Will not cut that kind of thing.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Wow, that was epic.

I can see why it was banned, but epic nonetheless.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 pm

I understand that it can be effective on kids, but I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Actually, I don't see why it would have been banned. Plenty of people have no business being parents, and that's a great PSA.

However, if your kid is acting like that, you've already failed as a parent, and spanking isn't going to fix it. The best you could do is haul that kid's ass out of the store immediately for the sake of the other patrons and let the little [&@%!] yell til he passes out or pukes. But a kid isn't going to act that way, ever, if their parents have done even a tiny bit of their jobs. Rewarding the kid with attention and affection when he behaves well, and punishing him when he doesn't (where punishment can mean ignoring him and locking him in his room, if it's attention he's after). A tantrum like that is a sign that the parents ignore the kid unless he acts up, and they probably don't let him run around enough to let off steam outside, and have him parked in front of the tv all day.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm

A deterrent we'd never like to use, but kids require the order that comes with understanding consequences and not every child will acknowledge you're in charge with time-outs or stern talking-tos.
My parents never spanked me, but it was the fear of doing something bad enough for them to resort to it that kept me from ever needing discipline

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Dark Lord Cam wrote:A proper spanking should only ever be applied to little kids, as they're most responsive to it. Even then, it should only ever be a light smack. Enough to get your point across, but not enough to actually hurt them.

With big kids, you're better off following Deandra's advice, as spanking them would only make them rebellious. It's difficult to hurt a teenager who can punch you back, y'know?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:03 pm

@Cam: Terrorism is an ambiguity.
If a child fears to be spanked and the parent is using this tool as a weapon, then it is terrorism. I am not saying that it has anything to do with anything political...
Let me define terrorism: Using the fear of others to your advantage.

Again, I am not saying, anyone is behind any terror-action ... It was not used in a political way.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Let me show you how terrorism is defined:

terrorism
[ter-uh-riz-uhm]  

noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 pm

terrorism
[ter-uh-riz-uhm]  

noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for Dark Lord purposes.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Shut up or I ban you. /joke

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Get on topic, or I'll have one of the others ban u. /joke
Well, we better get on topic again.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 pm

the Savage Hippie wrote:terrorism
[ter-uh-riz-uhm]  

noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for Dark Lord purposes.

No, that must be wrong, that would make America a terrorist nation...

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Technically, that definition makes all nations terrorist organizations. But this is offtopic.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9e8nPkT3rg
...don't make me get my 2x4. It's American as apple pie.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 pm

I was spanked when I was a kid. I turned out fine.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm

I was a complete stubborn [&@%!] when I was younger, I'm glad my parents gave me a clip or a smack now and then to keep me in line when I really messed up. I hate the fact the human rights activists(people who went way to far with rights that we must fear everything we do) have demonised the action... probably why young kids are so damn bratty and spoiled now.
I don't condone spanking for everything, but a parent with any form of common sense should know what warrants one.

Sometimes I just want to smack the parents of some children, 'keep your damn kids under control you useless cretins!'

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 am

I think if it's between two consenting adults anything should be allowed.
Topic locked