Switch to full style
Topic locked

Re: Religion and Philosophy

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm

But God is not a teapot flying around Pluto. :wink:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 pm

POMC S117 wrote:But God is not a teapot flying around Pluto. :wink:
To me, it's the same thing - a theory, with absolutely no irrefutable evidence to back it up.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 pm

btw, POMC, are you thirteen years? xP And I can't respond to your PM, I'm not ''certified to send PMs''

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 pm

But yet much of quantum physics can't be proven, and that doesn't necessariyl mean it's not true. 90 years ago there was no evidence that Pluto existed. That doesn't mean it didn't exist.

And while I respect your belief to say so, I disagree in somthering. People have their rights to believe in what they like without getting verbally abused for it.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

JVElEven wrote:But yet much of quantum physics can't be proven, and that doesn't necessariyl mean it's not true. 90 years ago there was no evidence that Pluto existed. That doesn't mean it didn't exist.

And while I respect your belief to say so, I disagree in somthering. People have their rights to believe in what they like without getting verbally abused for it.

You must be able to criticize thing without being called a verbal abuser all the time. It's like religious people don't tolerate their views being challenged.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

andhabb wrote:I've got a theory, what if the god from the bible is a paranoid-schizophrenic with multiple personalities (the devil) who he tries to blame for his faults? Makes some sense.

Yes, it makes some sense. In one place He says to do, in another He forbids it. That's the way The Book goes... of course we can presume that if man is made in the image of God, man's lunacy is also made in the image of God's? "We may be crazy as God is"? What an interesting thought and, if I may say, quite contrary to anything established Churches and Denominations are able to persevere.

God may be be crazy, but that wouldn't prevent Him from being God?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Andere wrote:
andhabb wrote:I've got a theory, what if the god from the bible is a paranoid-schizophrenic with multiple personalities (the devil) who he tries to blame for his faults? Makes some sense.

Yes, it makes some sense. In one place He says to do, in another He forbids it. That's the way The Book goes... of course we can presume that if man is made in the image of God, man's lunacy is also made in the image of God's? "We may be crazy as God is"? What an interesting thought and, if I may say, quite contrary to anything established Churches and Denominations are able to persevere.

God may be be crazy, but that wouldn't prevent Him from being God?

No, exactly :)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

andhabb wrote:You must be able to criticize thing without being called a verbal abuser all the time. It's like religious people don't tolerate their views being challenged.

The way you criticize borders verbal abuse.

I may say insulting things because I open my mouth too much, but above all I wish not to insult anyone, but rather to enlighten everyone.

An enlightment can't come from mud-throwing, especially as mud tends to block your view if it's in your face.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I think that in the Old Testament, God was fiery and unpredictable, but now, he has calmed down.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:54 pm

The bible is the world's greatest philosophical work (single piece of).

But I can't read it as the word of a god, as it's written by man, and thus fallible to the traps, cons, follys and dark ambitions that we humans have such a liking for conjuring.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm

POMC S117 wrote:I think that in the Old Testament, God was fiery and unpredictable, but now, he has calmed down.

You know how the bible, the final version was made? I think it was a roman emperor who took all the parts HE decided was RIGHT and called it the Bible. But here's a philosopical question: Let's assume there is no god. Let's just go by that assumption. Is it still possible with an afterlife, some kind of other realm?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm

JVElEven wrote:The bible is the world's greatest philosophical work (single piece of).

But I can't read it as the word of a god, as it's written by man, and thus fallible to the traps, cons, follys and dark ambitions that we humans have such a liking for conjuring.

The Bible has lots of authors, but only one Author, and the Author is God, whom inspired those humans to write it.

Andhaab, if that is what you believe, then so be it.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

POMC S117 wrote:
JVElEven wrote:The bible is the world's greatest philosophical work (single piece of).

The Bible has lots of authors, but only one Author, and the Author is God, whom inspired those humans to write it.

Andhaab, if that is what you believe, then so be it.
No that's how it was made. Before that emperor did it, there were many, many pieces of loose work about the religion of Yoshua (Jesus.). Then he took pieces and made the bible as he saw fit. (the roman.)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

That's what they CLAIMED was their inspiration for it.

Call my a cynic, but human beings will do anything for power.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm

I found a really interesting article: It seems rather incredible that a species such as the human race, which is at the top of the food chain and now basically ruling the surface of the planet can not seem to get along without fictitious fairy tales and religious literature to help them through their day.

Why does this happen? Well, did you know that the great apes also practice a form of religion? It is true and great apes in the wild have been found to travel many miles across water, which they do not like to cross to go to a place where there is a waterfall. In this place the water is hotter than the area below. This causes a small fog bank and mystic looking rainbows to form. The apes go there and say in awe of nature.

In fact, when they are witnessed doing this, they exhibit unnatural behavior that is seen in other places in the wild. Why? It is because the great apes are practice seen some sort of religion and it seems to be based on nature.''

Great apes practice spirituality! Now that's something!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:01 pm

I won't. Although most humans want power, something which is normally bad, unless that power is thrust upon them.

That's interesting, Andhaab!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 pm

You know those chimps they've taught to talk with symbols, right? Just think how fascinating it would be to speak with a chimp about philosophy.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 pm

andhabb wrote:I found a really interesting article: It seems rather incredible that a species such as the human race, which is at the top of the food chain and now basically ruling the surface of the planet can not seem to get along without fictitious fairy tales and religious literature to help them through their day.

Why does this happen? Well, did you know that the great apes also practice a form of religion? It is true and great apes in the wild have been found to travel many miles across water, which they do not like to cross to go to a place where there is a waterfall. In this place the water is hotter than the area below. This causes a small fog bank and mystic looking rainbows to form. The apes go there and say in awe of nature.

In fact, when they are witnessed doing this, they exhibit unnatural behavior that is seen in other places in the wild. Why? It is because the great apes are practice seen some sort of religion and it seems to be based on nature.''

That's not necessarily what is happenning!

I severely doubt that they actually practice religion, even though it's unusual. Animals do unusual things. However, it's your belief, and I respect that you believe it, but even so, that post was so preposterous I'll still call you a dolt.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

JVElEven wrote:
andhabb wrote:I found a really interesting article: It seems rather incredible that a species such as the human race, which is at the top of the food chain and now basically ruling the surface of the planet can not seem to get along without fictitious fairy tales and religious literature to help them through their day.

That's not necessarily what is happenning!

I severely doubt that they actually practice religion, even though it's unusual. Animals do unusual things. However, it's your belief, and I respect that you believe it, but even so, that post was so preposterous I'll still call you a dolt.
-.- VERBAL ABUSE !!!!1111111111111!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 pm

That's offensive.

I think that that is just a natural phenomena that the Chimps are intrigued by.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm

POMC S117 wrote:That's offensive.

I think that that is just a natural phenomena that the Chimps are intrigued by.
Yup, and I saw an awesome YouTube video some time ago, where they asked a gorilla, using the symbols they were trained to understand, about death. The gorilla ''said'' something along the lines of ''Death. Me. Sad.'' or something

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Coincidence.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm

JV, apes are very smart! Extremely smart. it is not a coincidence. In my opinion.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Given years of practice, perhaps. But I guess here was food involved, in which case anything can be proven or disproven.

I know they're smart, but I bet my rabbit could do the same thing.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:14 pm

POMC S117 wrote:JV, apes are very smart! Extremely smart. it is not a coincidence. In my opinion.
this. and NO. They taught them to use symbols to communicate, then ''interview'' them.
Topic locked