UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:57 am

Loading

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:42 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, my friend.

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
POMC S117 wrote:
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, my friend.
Yes it is. If I say there's a flying teapot going around Pluto, you're not going to believe that blindly, right?

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
But God is not a teapot flying around Pluto. :wink:

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
POMC S117 wrote:
But God is not a teapot flying around Pluto. :wink:
To me, it's the same thing - a theory, with absolutely no irrefutable evidence to back it up.

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
btw, POMC, are you thirteen years? xP And I can't respond to your PM, I'm not ''certified to send PMs''

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Jylland
ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim (DUH!)
Platform: PC
Status: The last damn purist around here!
Other Profiles: I'm always JVElEven. Look me up on Steam
UESPoints: 0
But yet much of quantum physics can't be proven, and that doesn't necessariyl mean it's not true. 90 years ago there was no evidence that Pluto existed. That doesn't mean it didn't exist.

And while I respect your belief to say so, I disagree in somthering. People have their rights to believe in what they like without getting verbally abused for it.

_________________
Because there's no fun to be found in being normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
JVElEven wrote:
But yet much of quantum physics can't be proven, and that doesn't necessariyl mean it's not true. 90 years ago there was no evidence that Pluto existed. That doesn't mean it didn't exist.

And while I respect your belief to say so, I disagree in somthering. People have their rights to believe in what they like without getting verbally abused for it.

You must be able to criticize thing without being called a verbal abuser all the time. It's like religious people don't tolerate their views being challenged.

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1603
Location: Helsinki, Finland
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
Status: Concerning games, restarting my engine
UESPoints: 0
andhabb wrote:
I've got a theory, what if the god from the bible is a paranoid-schizophrenic with multiple personalities (the devil) who he tries to blame for his faults? Makes some sense.

Yes, it makes some sense. In one place He says to do, in another He forbids it. That's the way The Book goes... of course we can presume that if man is made in the image of God, man's lunacy is also made in the image of God's? "We may be crazy as God is"? What an interesting thought and, if I may say, quite contrary to anything established Churches and Denominations are able to persevere.

God may be be crazy, but that wouldn't prevent Him from being God?

_________________
Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel. - Jean Racine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:50 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
Andere wrote:
andhabb wrote:
I've got a theory, what if the god from the bible is a paranoid-schizophrenic with multiple personalities (the devil) who he tries to blame for his faults? Makes some sense.

Yes, it makes some sense. In one place He says to do, in another He forbids it. That's the way The Book goes... of course we can presume that if man is made in the image of God, man's lunacy is also made in the image of God's? "We may be crazy as God is"? What an interesting thought and, if I may say, quite contrary to anything established Churches and Denominations are able to persevere.

God may be be crazy, but that wouldn't prevent Him from being God?

No, exactly :)

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Jylland
ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim (DUH!)
Platform: PC
Status: The last damn purist around here!
Other Profiles: I'm always JVElEven. Look me up on Steam
UESPoints: 0
andhabb wrote:
You must be able to criticize thing without being called a verbal abuser all the time. It's like religious people don't tolerate their views being challenged.


The way you criticize borders verbal abuse.

I may say insulting things because I open my mouth too much, but above all I wish not to insult anyone, but rather to enlighten everyone.

An enlightment can't come from mud-throwing, especially as mud tends to block your view if it's in your face.

_________________
Because there's no fun to be found in being normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
I think that in the Old Testament, God was fiery and unpredictable, but now, he has calmed down.

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:54 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Jylland
ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim (DUH!)
Platform: PC
Status: The last damn purist around here!
Other Profiles: I'm always JVElEven. Look me up on Steam
UESPoints: 0
The bible is the world's greatest philosophical work (single piece of).

But I can't read it as the word of a god, as it's written by man, and thus fallible to the traps, cons, follys and dark ambitions that we humans have such a liking for conjuring.

_________________
Because there's no fun to be found in being normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
POMC S117 wrote:
I think that in the Old Testament, God was fiery and unpredictable, but now, he has calmed down.

You know how the bible, the final version was made? I think it was a roman emperor who took all the parts HE decided was RIGHT and called it the Bible. But here's a philosopical question: Let's assume there is no god. Let's just go by that assumption. Is it still possible with an afterlife, some kind of other realm?

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
JVElEven wrote:
The bible is the world's greatest philosophical work (single piece of).

But I can't read it as the word of a god, as it's written by man, and thus fallible to the traps, cons, follys and dark ambitions that we humans have such a liking for conjuring.


The Bible has lots of authors, but only one Author, and the Author is God, whom inspired those humans to write it.

Andhaab, if that is what you believe, then so be it.

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
POMC S117 wrote:
JVElEven wrote:
The bible is the world's greatest philosophical work (single piece of).

But I can't read it as the word of a god, as it's written by man, and thus fallible to the traps, cons, follys and dark ambitions that we humans have such a liking for conjuring.


The Bible has lots of authors, but only one Author, and the Author is God, whom inspired those humans to write it.

Andhaab, if that is what you believe, then so be it.
No that's how it was made. Before that emperor did it, there were many, many pieces of loose work about the religion of Yoshua (Jesus.). Then he took pieces and made the bible as he saw fit. (the roman.)

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Jylland
ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim (DUH!)
Platform: PC
Status: The last damn purist around here!
Other Profiles: I'm always JVElEven. Look me up on Steam
UESPoints: 0
That's what they CLAIMED was their inspiration for it.

Call my a cynic, but human beings will do anything for power.

_________________
Because there's no fun to be found in being normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:00 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
I found a really interesting article: It seems rather incredible that a species such as the human race, which is at the top of the food chain and now basically ruling the surface of the planet can not seem to get along without fictitious fairy tales and religious literature to help them through their day.

Why does this happen? Well, did you know that the great apes also practice a form of religion? It is true and great apes in the wild have been found to travel many miles across water, which they do not like to cross to go to a place where there is a waterfall. In this place the water is hotter than the area below. This causes a small fog bank and mystic looking rainbows to form. The apes go there and say in awe of nature.

In fact, when they are witnessed doing this, they exhibit unnatural behavior that is seen in other places in the wild. Why? It is because the great apes are practice seen some sort of religion and it seems to be based on nature.''

Great apes practice spirituality! Now that's something!

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:01 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
I won't. Although most humans want power, something which is normally bad, unless that power is thrust upon them.

That's interesting, Andhaab!

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
You know those chimps they've taught to talk with symbols, right? Just think how fascinating it would be to speak with a chimp about philosophy.

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Jylland
ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim (DUH!)
Platform: PC
Status: The last damn purist around here!
Other Profiles: I'm always JVElEven. Look me up on Steam
UESPoints: 0
andhabb wrote:
I found a really interesting article: It seems rather incredible that a species such as the human race, which is at the top of the food chain and now basically ruling the surface of the planet can not seem to get along without fictitious fairy tales and religious literature to help them through their day.

Why does this happen? Well, did you know that the great apes also practice a form of religion? It is true and great apes in the wild have been found to travel many miles across water, which they do not like to cross to go to a place where there is a waterfall. In this place the water is hotter than the area below. This causes a small fog bank and mystic looking rainbows to form. The apes go there and say in awe of nature.

In fact, when they are witnessed doing this, they exhibit unnatural behavior that is seen in other places in the wild. Why? It is because the great apes are practice seen some sort of religion and it seems to be based on nature.''

Great apes practice spirituality! Now that's something!


That's not necessarily what is happenning!

I severely doubt that they actually practice religion, even though it's unusual. Animals do unusual things. However, it's your belief, and I respect that you believe it, but even so, that post was so preposterous I'll still call you a dolt.

_________________
Because there's no fun to be found in being normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
JVElEven wrote:
andhabb wrote:
I found a really interesting article: It seems rather incredible that a species such as the human race, which is at the top of the food chain and now basically ruling the surface of the planet can not seem to get along without fictitious fairy tales and religious literature to help them through their day.

Why does this happen? Well, did you know that the great apes also practice a form of religion? It is true and great apes in the wild have been found to travel many miles across water, which they do not like to cross to go to a place where there is a waterfall. In this place the water is hotter than the area below. This causes a small fog bank and mystic looking rainbows to form. The apes go there and say in awe of nature.

In fact, when they are witnessed doing this, they exhibit unnatural behavior that is seen in other places in the wild. Why? It is because the great apes are practice seen some sort of religion and it seems to be based on nature.''

Great apes practice spirituality! Now that's something!


That's not necessarily what is happenning!

I severely doubt that they actually practice religion, even though it's unusual. Animals do unusual things. However, it's your belief, and I respect that you believe it, but even so, that post was so preposterous I'll still call you a dolt.
-.- VERBAL ABUSE !!!!1111111111111!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
That's offensive.

I think that that is just a natural phenomena that the Chimps are intrigued by.

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm 
Offline
Layman
Layman

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: [&@%!]!
UESPoints: 0
POMC S117 wrote:
That's offensive.

I think that that is just a natural phenomena that the Chimps are intrigued by.
Yup, and I saw an awesome YouTube video some time ago, where they asked a gorilla, using the symbols they were trained to understand, about death. The gorilla ''said'' something along the lines of ''Death. Me. Sad.'' or something

_________________
I'm a real-life Nord :]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: Jylland
ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim (DUH!)
Platform: PC
Status: The last damn purist around here!
Other Profiles: I'm always JVElEven. Look me up on Steam
UESPoints: 0
Coincidence.

_________________
Because there's no fun to be found in being normal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Religion and Philosophy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm
Posts: 596
Status: Leading the Revolution
UESPoints: 0
JV, apes are very smart! Extremely smart. it is not a coincidence. In my opinion.

_________________
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaya Rus’.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Sponsored Links

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group