UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Loading

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:49 am 
Offline
Layman
Layman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm
Posts: 1
ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: Xbox, PC
Status: I'm slovenly.
UESPoints: 0
So, my question is, can I be overtly racist toward a fictional group? I highly dislike the Mer aka Elves. Ugh. I'll do it without swearing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 am 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:29 am
Posts: 1197
Location: Golden Hills, Breezy Seas
ES Games: I-V + DLC
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Status: SHAOLIN BEAR STRIKE
UESPoints: 4
SquareRobot wrote:
So, my question is, can I be overtly racist toward a fictional group? I highly dislike the Mer aka Elves. Ugh. I'll do it without swearing!

People (meaning me) have done it in the past... And then an Argonian vs. Dunmer forum war started. Which was totally mostly my fault...

_________________
Oblivion is my playground Image Morrowind is my home


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:01 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 am
Posts: 6876
Location: Hlaalu Council, Narsis
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim 'Legendary', ESO, Redguard, Battlespire
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
SquareRobot wrote:
So, my question is, can I be overtly racist toward a fictional group? I highly dislike the Mer aka Elves. Ugh. I'll do it without swearing!

Not if you want to live :Twisted Evil:.

But in all seriousness, I believe that people can get as passionate about fictional factions/groups as real ones, so tread lightly. Don't flame and don't express you're hate unless it adds to discussion or serves a certain point. I personally won't stand any Mer-bashing :wink: and could potentially get quite furious. :Twisted Evil:

_________________
Beginner's Guide to Morrowind - Beginner's Guide to Oblivion [WIP]
To trade fairly and freely is to honour the Three.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1603
Location: Helsinki, Finland
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
Status: Concerning games, restarting my engine
UESPoints: 0
SquareRobot, the best way to find answers to your question is to PM Dark Lord or General, direct links are in the first post here.

Normally you couldn't do it as you have no post count, but I've added you to Confirmed users, so just fire off! And welcome to the Forum. :D

_________________
Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel. - Jean Racine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:40 am 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Other Places
Status: Has Amazing Horse
UESPoints: 0
Perhaps the best way to go about this is to allow philosophy but to discourage politics and religion.

Philosophy _can_ be done as a battle of wits with respect for each other.
Religion and political preference on the other hand tend to originate from (moral) convictions that can't (shouldn't?) be dissected beyond a certain point. Discussing them guarantees some/all parties get emotionally invested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 87
ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
Why does it seem we (humans) can't discuss the most important topics without coming to hate each other? I guess that's what makes them important.

_________________
Do you mind? I'm doing the fishstick. It's a very delicate state of mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Posts: 3043
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 500
N'wah Nern wrote:
Why does it seem we (humans) can't discuss the most important topics without coming to hate each other? I guess that's what makes them important.


Yeah, they become important to talk about because they can never be discussed without people being at each others throats :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 am 
Offline
Champion
Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:26 am
Posts: 938
ES Games: III GOTY, IV GOTY, V-All DLC
Platform: Xbox, PC
Status: Scrib Kill Count: 289
Other Profiles: Xbox-piercem3
UESPoints: 7
N'wah Nern wrote:
Why does it seem we (humans) can't discuss the most important topics without coming to hate each other? I guess that's what makes them important.


It's because they are the most passionate topics. Our beliefs are some of the most important things to us, and they are usually the things we will fight for.

_________________
BetaB17 wrote:
scrib - Chief of Security & not giving a [&@%!]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:58 am 
Offline
Associate
Associate
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:19 am
Posts: 21
Location: Next to the coffee machine
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY
Platform: PC
Status: Ronin
UESPoints: 0
Religion is a lie. Coffee is our natural relationship with the Gods. Period.

_________________
IGC:
Grim, Level 26, Long Blade Redguard
Reaper, Level 40, Breton War Mage

Kinsman of Great House Hlaalu


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 pm 
Offline
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 pm
Posts: 4359
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
Status: Fresh
UESPoints: 20
Ha... "you can talk about anything you want, as long as it doesn't really mean anything." Sounds just like the official Bethsoft forums. ;)

_________________
Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:58 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Posts: 3043
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 500
There are other forums made for ranting and so forth. Join one if you guys don't like the rules here. Simple


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 am 
Offline
Associate
Associate

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm
Posts: 21
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
UESPoints: 0
scribbane wrote:
N'wah Nern wrote:
Why does it seem we (humans) can't discuss the most important topics without coming to hate each other? I guess that's what makes them important.


It's because they are the most passionate topics. Our beliefs are some of the most important things to us, and they are usually the things we will fight for.

Beliefs are the problem facts are the only solution

_________________
Join the Greatest Elder Scrolls RPG EVER Join Anytime JOIN NOW!!!

Diplomacy 168 4E The Great War


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:10 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 2694
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Status: Pulling UltraRares
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
UESPoints: 0
But who knows what beliefs are facts and what facts are actually just well-convinced beliefs?

_________________
Hidden:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:29 am 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 am
Posts: 1498
Location: Laughing at life
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfal, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion + DLC, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: Laughing like every jokes my last
UESPoints: 0
Facts have evidence while beliefs are things we just spout regardless.

_________________
Image
Aquatic Beauty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:32 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 2694
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Status: Pulling UltraRares
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
UESPoints: 0
But who truly knows that there is gravity on other planets? We call this a fact, but we truly do not know this.

_________________
Hidden:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:39 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1603
Location: Helsinki, Finland
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
Status: Concerning games, restarting my engine
UESPoints: 0
Gravity is caused by a mass attracting another mass, thus we know there is gravity anywhere where mass is present. Another fact is, presented by a propulsion engineer, that time is an abnormality caused by gravity. Meaning: no mass, no gravity, no time. Kind of interesting when you start to think of some spiritual realm... they have no mass, do they? Goes for God too... :shock:

I make the claim, the true realm of humans is not scientific = so called facts. People make their decisions based on values and feelings, all marketing and sales personal know this. I also make the claim that modern man isn't necessarily that knowing as he claims to be. There just might be a reality higher than we can perceive with our five senses? Perhaps the sixth one we lost once in the past?

I encourage to use your brains. Like X-Files stated, The truth is out there. :)

_________________
Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel. - Jean Racine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:57 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 pm
Posts: 2694
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Status: Pulling UltraRares
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
UESPoints: 0
*brofist*

_________________
Hidden:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:40 pm 
Offline
Associate
Associate

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm
Posts: 21
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
UESPoints: 0
Andere wrote:
Gravity is caused by a mass attracting another mass, thus we know there is gravity anywhere where mass is present. Another fact is, presented by a propulsion engineer, that time is an abnormality caused by gravity. Meaning: no mass, no gravity, no time. Kind of interesting when you start to think of some spiritual realm... they have no mass, do they? Goes for God too... :shock:

Care to present a source for this propulsion engineer? A source is something which we science fundamentalists like to call evidence. The reason we supply evidence is so that it can be tested by others and against other evidence which has already been proven to be correct.

Andere wrote:
I make the claim, the true realm of humans is not scientific = so called facts.

I make the claim that when I defecate rainbows smelling of roses come out. However, since I can't present any evidence to back up my claim you'll just have to believe me, or not.

Andere wrote:
People make their decisions based on values and feelings, all marketing and sales personal know this.
This is true for the majority of people on the planet unfortunately. Logic is not natural for human beings and must be learned, but it's not hard to learn. It's like riding a bike. This assertion is evidenced by the millions of people world-wide while still being a minority, that are capable of thinking logically.
Andere wrote:
I also make the claim that modern man isn't necessarily that knowing as he claims to be. There just might be a reality higher than we can perceive with our five senses? Perhaps the sixth one we lost once in the past?

Made me think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

Andere wrote:
I encourage to use your brains. Like X-Files stated, The truth is out there. :)

I sir, encourage you to follow your own advice :D

_________________
Join the Greatest Elder Scrolls RPG EVER Join Anytime JOIN NOW!!!

Diplomacy 168 4E The Great War


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:44 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm
Posts: 1153
Location: Ontario
ES Games: TES II-III-IV-V
Platform: PC
Status: Elsewhere
UESPoints: 0
No need to be a jerk about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Posts: 3043
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 500
Yeah, really. Don't cause problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:06 pm 
Offline
Associate
Associate

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm
Posts: 21
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
UESPoints: 0
sorry if I over stepped the mark I considered that playful banter.

Out of interest and for future reference which part did you find most distressing? The part where I explained what evidence is and why we need it, the defecating rainbows bit, the Tim Minchin video, or when I asked him to consider taking his own advice?

_________________
Join the Greatest Elder Scrolls RPG EVER Join Anytime JOIN NOW!!!

Diplomacy 168 4E The Great War


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1603
Location: Helsinki, Finland
ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
Status: Concerning games, restarting my engine
UESPoints: 0
I don't think General Grumble was a jerk or caused problems. I knew I made a weak point when not giving the name of the propulsion engineer... I have it somewhere in my bookshelf, but can't remember where. About the time issue, something can be found here: http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/in ... -3304.html. Besides gravity, the big issue is the light of speed - is it constant? It's a bit like the controversy about light otherwise; I'm a photographer, and I learned that the basics of optics teach that light can only be refracted, it cannot be bent. Well then, lately we have learned can light can be bent. And the speed of it? Latest measurement show that the speed would decrease --- meaning that the assumed increasing speed of the expansion of universe doesn't in fact take place, but is only visual illusion. Ha?

That's the problem with science: it's correct. It cannot accept that it may be wrong. Like in old days, Earth was the center. Then came Copernicus. And until these past days "scientists" have claimed that there is no water in space, whereas The Bible has proclaimed for thousands of years that there is. And now, finally, man found it.

Man's truth varies, truth doesn't. And I'm not preaching, or anything. Use your brains, folks. --- Don't believe me! 8)

_________________
Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel. - Jean Racine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
Associate
Associate

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm
Posts: 21
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
UESPoints: 0
Andere wrote:
That's the problem with science: it's correct. It cannot accept that it may be wrong. Like in old days, Earth was the center. Then came Copernicus. And until these past days "scientists" have claimed that there is no water in space, whereas The Bible has proclaimed for thousands of years that there is. And now, finally, man found it.

Cool I'm glad you took it the right way :)

Although I have to take issue with this part as you contradict yourself. You say science does not accept that it is wrong. You then immediately go on to give examples of science being changed when new evidence is presented.

I'll take a look at that link you provided thanks

_________________
Join the Greatest Elder Scrolls RPG EVER Join Anytime JOIN NOW!!!

Diplomacy 168 4E The Great War


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:37 pm
Posts: 59
Location: England
ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: PS3 (SR & OB), PC (OB)
Status: Disliking Skyrim's leveled lists.
UESPoints: 0
General Grumble wrote:
Although I have to take issue with this part as you contradict yourself. You say science does not accept that it is wrong. You then immediately go on to give examples of science being changed when new evidence is presented.

I think this shows that as soon as science is proven wrong, they change the facts so they're right... I think. It basically means that they support what they have evidence for, whereas religion can say things without a base - regardless of whether they are right or not.

_________________
Image


Avron the S'wit wrote:
Don't panic, and carry a big stick. Oh, wait, scratch the stick part - just don't panic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Value based topics - political, religious etc.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 am
Posts: 2876
Location: Your dreams
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Status: Smurfin'
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.
—Aristotle

So what does that say for those who think they know everything?
— Musicman

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Sponsored Links

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group