Switch to full style
Topic locked

Do you want a forum section dedicated to fan art?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes : 53

Re: New forum section

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Milder Despues wrote:
I voted no, mainly because I think there's enough post spamming as it is, and another place to increase your post count would not only take action away from The Arts, but also increase unneeded topics IMO. Also, I think your post count should only increase when you post things relevant and helpful to other members. Fan art/fiction, to me, does not do that.

Photographers guilds and "What's your favorite race/faction" etc counts towards post count. But those are probably uneeded topic too, right?

No. Those are very much related to the game, and it's a way for players to share in-game experiences.

Spiney wrote:Why all this dislike against art relevant to our forum. If someone has a fanfic relevant to the ES then they should get post recognition. If your worried about spam, then only allow proper critique.

What i reckon is a good idea is a new helper mod specifically for the new sector. Take some of the load off our existing mods.

"Proper critique"? There's going to be a definition scandal over that. Think how many new members will visit that section and post something like "OMG good work" or "meh ive seen better." What are we going to do, ban them?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:42 pm

I still don't see why post count is such a big deal at this forum, I've been to tons of others, but it's never been taken as seriously as it is here.

I've been to a forum completely dedicated to MLB Power Pros, but unrelated posts counted.
I've been to a forum dedicated to a YouTube channel, unrelated posts still counted, even RPGs and forum games counted towards it.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Maybe a phpBB plug-in would help. Like a "thumbs up, thumbs down" plug-in. And as I said, we can have subforum specific rules (short replies, like "I like", "Meh" are not allowed). If someone breaks a rule like that, we'll delete his reply. If it happens too often, we can send him/her a friendly warning.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. I can get almost anything almost anywhere, but this is my foremost place to come for TES related stuff. Concentrating on the game is good. :D

Vicente wrote:I still don't see why post count is such a big deal at this forum, I've been to tons of others, but it's never been taken as seriously as it is here.

As it happened, I visited a site some time ago, where the admin rebuked people for sending "Ah" and "Oh" and "Yeah", in their effort to increase their post count.

A lot of fish in the sea. Some big, some small. :) I could live without the count, for that matter - I lived 40 years without a computer!

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:13 pm

No. Those are very much related to the game, and it's a way for players to share in-game experiences.

But fan-art isn't?
Maybe a phpBB plug-in would help. Like a "thumbs up, thumbs down" plug-in. And as I said, we can have subforum specific rules (short replies, like "I like", "Meh" are not allowed). If someone breaks a rule like that, we'll delete his reply. If it happens too often, we can send him/her a friendly warning.

I don't like the thumbs up and down, but that's admittedly probably due to it being abused by fanboys on Youtube, so I'm fairly open to that idea. Ruling against the "I like" style comments could work, BUT: Won't the artists want feedback/recognition?

"Only constructive critisism" or questions about the the work (painting technique, discussion on lore for written stuff etc would ensure that comments are thought out in a good way. But like Tears said that is of course open to interpretation.

Or, if everyone is really afraid of spammers, perhaps something like a sticky feedback thread where people can write a post and mention all the things they like/compliments (and edit the post as time goes along). See a number of problems with this idea though...

My two cents worth anyway... :)

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Milder Despues wrote:

But fan-art isn't?

Fan art is fine, but newbies are obviously going to abuse the post count or post irrelevant comments. Not to mention that this will take some activity away from the Arts, which is one of my favorite sections.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Vivec's Tears wrote:
Milder Despues wrote:

But fan-art isn't?

Fan art is fine, but newbies are obviously going to abuse the post count or post irrelevant comments. Not to mention that this will take some activity away from the Arts, which is one of my favorite sections.

It's not going to take activity away, just move it around a bit. And while some members will probably try to increase their post count by making irrelevant comments, as Josjie says, we can delete those comments, and issue warnings to members who get out of hand.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:51 pm

it can't do any harm having this new place to put fan based stuff, so long as we don't get bogged down in debates on whether or not an item should be in this thread or in another

i'm 50/50 about the post count. On one hand it can be useful seeing how long people have been visiting the site for and how active they are, but there is the spamming danger. Tho most post spammers i have encountered are victims to the impatience which makes them post non replies, and have given up quite quickly

a thumbs up/thumbs down or karma system (ie have +1 karma for a good post, -1 for a bad post) can work quite well too so long as its not abused. Requires a degree of maturity within the community to be useful
But if it did work, karma could be quite fun on this TES site cos we could tailor it to a lore related scale, ie Aedra/Daedra or whatever (tho i don't think Aedra=good, Daedra=bad reflects the lore of TES, it's not as black and white as that)

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Josjie wrote:
Blackhawk Vegal wrote:
Josjie wrote:Oh and you can still see your total amount of posts if you go to your profile ;).

it only shows what you have under your name in the post. they will still be the same, woun't show more or less,
:wink:

Huh what do you mean? If you select "Search users posts" you can see your total amount of posts.

My profile says:

Search found 3658 matches

ok i stand corrected, some what :mrgreen:

but it shows it 2 different ways, with 2 different meanings...

1. click on UCP up top and it say's "Show your Posts" which says at bottom pf page 434 total.
2. Click on Profile at bottom of your post made and it says "Search User's Post" which i have 1313 (mockingbird lane, who lives there lol)

but back on topis..........

on the 3 forums i run or help on,

1 doesn't even use post counts and no one complains about it or even mentions it,
2nd is like here, its limited to certain sections, just the main forum and the help section, all other sections remain post countless and still get a lot of activity.
3rd one, which is mine, post only count in one section, sense the other section, the main forum, will not give you a count, cause their links that re-direct you to another place, where i have everything at, plus you can't post in that section anyways.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:06 pm

The post count thing counting for this will be annoying because you 'aren't helping anyone' at all! your just doing a painting or whatever and suddenly that is suppose to actually be of worth to someone's game? I think not. Let's stop talking about post-count anyway.

The fact that people will be post spamming will annoy me (and it will happen no matter what), if you turn this forum into something like facebook, with the thumbs up thumbs down thing, it will turn stupid I really hate that method simply because it stops people ever commenting, which is both bad and good.

Good because some more 'immature' people will not be able to post all the crap.
Bad because people who would make an 'excellent' evaluation of the work would only get to press a button..

I just don't think this new sub-forum should be around for a few reasons.

1. Take away recognition from the small community of Art fanatics who don't want to live, sleep, breathe Elderscrolls and decide to do something else.

2. Lore forum will just be annihilated because the other forum will be 'easier' to use because it doesn't require a shred of thought to comment.

3. The Moderators can't just get the banhammer and warning leaflets out on people commenting. Having set rules for certain sections will just be annoying and for new members it will also be very very confusing. Especially since no one ever reads the rules anyway.

---------------------------
Milder Despues wrote:Yes, and during that massive blindspot a truly massive amount of evil members who have been biding their time will storm the new forum when the mods log off.

You obviosuly aren't on here without mods then, a lot of topics get spammed to the max. I'm not even talking off-topic, no, what I'm talking about is stupidity conversations that make no sense and don't go anywhere.
----------------------------

Why does it require it's own section? If people where that bothered about doing all this, and showed a keen interest they would of done it a lot more then once or twice. Those few competitions we have had don't mean that we need an entire new section. Especially because a lot of them posts where just people going 'nice work Dave' ec. like I said before.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:24 pm

I think the worry about spamming is it a bit extreme. WE aren't all so morbid and evil that we can't wait til the mods leave so we can ef-up the threads.

Or I am that naive and it is really that bad?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Look i'm fine with the Focusing on the game and sthuff but seriously all we will be doing is ripping a few threads from Arts and putting it in another sub-forum. Why complicate things?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:31 pm

Generalno1 wrote:Why complicate things?

Amen to that. Just do it, takes notes on its results, banhammer people as necessary, and MOVE ON!!!

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:02 pm

You obviosuly aren't on here without mods then, a lot of topics get spammed to the max. I'm not even talking off-topic, no, what I'm talking about is stupidity conversations that make no sense and don't go anywhere.

Well, each to their own, you're obviously overreacting. :wink:

New suggestion: A test period for a week or two and have this vote again?
(Not sure how much work it is to change with forum sections though?)

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 pm

My main concern is, as I stated in the first post, that the activity will be divided between two art sections. I personally am open to trying it out and give it, as Milder Despues suggested, a test period. If it's nothing but a negative experience, we'll just archive the whole thing.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Codex wrote:My main concern is, as I stated in the first post, that the activity will be divided between two art sections. I personally am open to trying it out and give it, as Milder Despues suggested, a test period. If it's nothing but a negative experience, we'll just archive the whole thing.

Sounds like a plan to me. Is there a chance of getting the new section up and running before the poll ends Sunday?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Venger wrote:Is there a chance of getting the new section up and running before the poll ends Sunday?

At this point I can't promise anything.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 pm

What Generalno1 said, we're just moving a few threads to a new forum, it won't really create new fanart, and the Arts section is underused as it is. We would just be spitting the Arts section into two little-used threads, and further complicating the already-cluttered General subforums.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Jpot wrote:What Generalno1 said, we're just moving a few threads to a new forum, it won't really create new fanart, and the Arts section is underused as it is. We would just be spitting the Arts section into two little-used threads, and further complicating the already-cluttered General subforums.

I believe TES fanart forum will be under its own separate tag next to the Lore section as stated by one of our mods, so at least there won't be any forum clutter, Jpot.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks to all for your contributions in this thread.
Topic locked