UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you want a forum section dedicated to fan art?
Yes 77%  77%  [ 41 ]
No 23%  23%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: Re: New forum section
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 500
Vivec's Tears wrote:
I voted no, mainly because I think there's enough post spamming as it is, and another place to increase your post count would not only take action away from The Arts, but also increase unneeded topics IMO. Also, I think your post count should only increase when you post things relevant and helpful to other members. Fan art/fiction, to me, does not do that.

Then how does the Oblivion Trivia thread help new members?

I think the post count will encourage people even more to write a fanfic or participate in a fan art competition. I think you're "helping" members more by writing a nice fanfic for them to read or drawing a nice picture, than to make a hundred guesses in the Trivia thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
UESPoints: 0
Josjie wrote:

I think the post count will encourage people even more to write a fanfic or participate in a fan art competition. I think you're "helping" members more by writing a nice fanfic for them to read or drawing a nice picture, than to make a hundred guesses in the Trivia thread.

Yeah but that is one thread. This will be an entire sub-forum for you to contribute a lot more spam.

The trivia thread is at least to do with the actual games, not just random pictures for everyone to go 'ooh look at the colours' 'great' 'it's beautiful'.
I seriously doubt it will have enough action for there to be more TES art then silly comments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Vivec's Tears wrote:
but also increase unneeded topics IMO

What do you mean? Like good tips and guides of how to be a better writer/drawer?

Please elaborate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The Raven wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:

What do you mean? Like good tips and guides of how to be a better writer/drawer?

Please elaborate.

Kind of what the art forum is for is it not?. That sort of stuff should be left in there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:01 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Newsound wrote:
Josjie wrote:

Yeah but that is one thread. This will be an entire sub-forum for you to contribute a lot more spam.

The trivia thread is at least to do with the actual games, not just random pictures for everyone to go 'ooh look at the colours' 'great' 'it's beautiful'.
I seriously doubt it will have enough action for there to be more TES art then silly comments.

For that, we might need forum rules that apply only to this new subforum.

We will keep an eye on it and if someone only posts a screenshot or a very simple drawing (like a really bad image made in Paint), we'll point that out. There's already the Photographer's Guild thread in the Oblivion forum, for example.

So this new subforum is meant for fanfics (short stories and longer stories) and art (drawings, etc.).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:03 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind GotY
Platform: Pee See
The Raven wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:

Please elaborate.

I mean there will no doubt be topics springing up of "Writer's block! I need a new subject for my fic" or "Can you tell what character is in this drawing" thread or something like that. Topics about being a better writer or drawer should go in The Arts, too.

Josjie wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:
I voted no, mainly because I think there's enough post spamming as it is, and another place to increase your post count would not only take action away from The Arts, but also increase unneeded topics IMO. Also, I think your post count should only increase when you post things relevant and helpful to other members. Fan art/fiction, to me, does not do that.

The Oblivion and Morrowind trivia threads can help learn some obscure and fun facts about things in the games that you might not know otherwise. What Newsound said is a valid point as well..

Also, writing a nice fanfic for them is fine, but there's no need to get post recognition for it. If anything, it would make more sense to even post them in Lore than to have a whole new section.

Spoiler:
Ratwar wrote:
Brains......
Brains......

Livers.......

Sleeper of House Dagoth
Galvanized Gordon Freeman of the VGCC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:04 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: X-box 360(post), PC
Only ES related right?
Sorry, but i still don't see the point, Why can't the fanfics and pictures just stay in the arts?

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:06 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Josjie wrote:
For that, we might need forum rules that apply only to this new subforum.

We will keep an eye on it and if someone only posts a screenshot or a very simple drawing (like a really bad image made in Paint), we'll point that out. There's already the Photographer's Guild thread in the Oblivion forum, for example.

So this new subforum is meant for fanfics (short stories and longer stories) and art (drawings, etc.).

I wasn't talking about when people actually post a drawing/story/whatever. The comments afterwards will just get out of hand, you do realise there are massive blindspots(no moderators on) on most days?

The art forum is what that stuff is for, you know like its name 'ART'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm 
Master
Master

Generalno1 wrote:
Only ES related right?
Sorry, but i still don't see the point, Why can't the fanfics and pictures just stay in the arts?

My point precisely. That's what the sub forum was probably created for mainly, anyway!

Spoiler:
Ratwar wrote:
Brains......
Brains......

Livers.......

Sleeper of House Dagoth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
UESPoints: 25
Vivec's Tears wrote:
Generalno1 wrote:
Only ES related right?

My point precisely. That's what the sub forum was probably created for mainly, anyway!

But since there is much more than just that in the Arts forum, it would still be nice if TES-related art was separated from not-related art. Perhaps this subforum could be placed within the Arts, for organization's sake.

But why bounce around to the same damn song?
You'd rather run when you can't crawl...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:17 pm 
Master
Master

Norroen Dyrd wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:
Generalno1 wrote:
Only ES related right?

But since there is much more than just that in the Arts forum, it would still be nice if TES-related art was separated from not-related art. Perhaps this subforum could be placed within the Arts, for organization's sake.

If you can tell me one good reason why we need to separate and laud something there is already very little of, I will concede your point.

I'm not trying to be a bully here, I'm simply stating there is no reason for a separate forum, since the few fics in the Arts either don't deal with ES. There are some, sure, but for posting one link to a DeviantArt paragraph, do we need a new forum?

And as for the fanart, there have been a few contests springing up recently. But those are not as momentous as to have a new forum either. In my opinion.

Spoiler:
Ratwar wrote:
Brains......
Brains......

Livers.......

Sleeper of House Dagoth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:49 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: obivion, morrowind and Skyrim
Norroen Dyrd wrote:
Vivec's Tears wrote:
Generalno1 wrote:
Only ES related right?

that is probably a better idea then starting a whole new sub were posts count, cause i mean a lot of people will just say "good job, that was awesome" just to get there count up. so my vote is no.

"I have a hypothesis that the number of Tyrannosaurs dressed as Santa Claus in your lecture notes is inversely proportional to the quality of the lecture."
- Argonanza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I barely care about my post count, I don't know why people would?
For me it's just a sign that I talk too much :[

But I guess these internet stats are srs bzns

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:43 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
I agree with krisCrash. Why care so much about post counts? Sure, some people will probably use it to get a higher count, but is that really such a big deal?
Besides, if you don't like the new forum (if they create it), then no one will force you to go hang out there.

I think we should let the mods try it, and if it works well and isn't just a bunch of spam threads, then hurray! And if it doesn't, then they can always remove it or something.
But that's just my opinion. :roll:

to the land of the ancient lords

Lordran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind GOTYE (Xbox), Oblivion GOTYE (PC)
Platform: Xbox (original), PC
krisCrash wrote:
I barely care about my post count, I don't know why people would?
For me it's just a sign that I talk too much :[

KalleFlaxx wrote:
I agree with krisCrash. Why care so much about post counts? Sure, some people will probably use it to get a higher count, but is that really such a big deal?
Besides, if you don't like the new forum (if they create it), then no one will force you to go hang out there.

I think we should let the mods try it, and if it works well and isn't just a bunch of spam threads, then hurray! And if it doesn't, then they can always remove it or something.
But that's just my opinion. :roll:

I'll third this point of view. I don't understand the appeal of a high post count. What does it gain you? And besides, if some one is spamming for that higher counter, well that's why we have the moderators.
I say go for it. Do as KalleFlaxx said, if it works it works, if not oh well. WE gain nothing by doing nothing but we gain knowledge by doing something, even if that something results in the negative.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I've read the "against" posts, and they make a lot of sense. It'll only draw attention away from the already slow Arts forum.
It'll be exactly the same, except for TES Art only.
Why can't TES Art be in The Arts instead of creating a whole new sub-forum for the same thing?

IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I understand you
Perhaps we should just encourage fan art in the art forum, actively.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

Other Profiles: YouTube Channel: DeathJohnson
I'm not entirely sure why, just because this is an ES forum, why only posts directly related to the Series should count, I can understand General Banter not counting. Most of the stuff there is "Off Topic" or "What happened to you today". And maybe we could go without RPGs counting. However, sections like the Arts (definitely minus that big "What are you listening to" thread" should just count in general, and I definitely don't see enough ES related things in there to begin with to warrant adding another subforum.

On an unrelated note, there should be a stickied topic for rules of the subforum in every subforum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Vicente wrote:
I'm not entirely sure why, just because this is an ES forum, why only posts directly related to the Series should count, I can understand General Banter not counting. Most of the stuff there is "Off Topic" or "What happened to you today". And maybe we could go without RPGs counting. However, sections like the Arts (definitely minus that big "What are you listening to" thread" should just count in general, and I definitely don't see enough ES related things in there to begin with to warrant adding another subforum.

On an unrelated note, there should be a stickied topic for rules of the subforum in every subforum.

Simple. These are the Elder Scrolls forums.

I don't care about post count. But some people do and most newbies will look up to you if you have a high post count. We want your post count to show how much you've contributed to this website. If General would count, there would be people with 6000 posts simply because they actively (a few times a day) post in "The Offtopic thread", "What happened to you today", "What are you listening to atm" etc.

It's one of the things what makes these forums different from all those other forums out there, and the official Bethesda forums, for example.

Oh and you can still see your total amount of posts if you go to your profile ;).

Anyway, the new comments have made me think. Which is a good sign I guess :roll: (it hurts though, thinking :P). So yeah now I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'll think about it xD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Vicente wrote:

People don't read stickies.

FACT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

Other Profiles: YouTube Channel: DeathJohnson
krisCrash wrote:
Vicente wrote:

People don't read stickies.

FACT

I would, that's why I want one.

I don't know the ****ing rules and it's angering me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, alittle of Marrowwind and now ESO
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / PS5
Josjie wrote:
Oh and you can still see your total amount of posts if you go to your profile ;).

it only shows what you have under your name in the post. they will still be the same, woun't show more or less,
:wink:

Quote of the Week =

"Writers don't get mad they get even in their novels."
― Candace C. Bowen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:46 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Blackhawk Vegal wrote:
Josjie wrote:

it only shows what you have under your name in the post. they will still be the same, woun't show more or less,
:wink:

Huh what do you mean? If you select "Search users posts" you can see your total amount of posts.

My profile says:

Search found 3658 matches

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:19 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfal, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion + DLC, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Why all this dislike against art relevant to our forum. If someone has a fanfic relevant to the ES then they should get post recognition. If your worried about spam, then only allow proper critique.

What i reckon is a good idea is a new helper mod specifically for the new sector. Take some of the load off our existing mods.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:25 am 
Warder
Warder

Quote:

Photographers guilds and "What's your favorite race/faction" etc counts towards post count. But those are probably uneeded topic too, right?

Quote:
I wasn't talking about when people actually post a drawing/story/whatever. The comments afterwards will just get out of hand, you do realise there are massive blindspots(no moderators on) on most days?

The art forum is what that stuff is for, you know like its name 'ART'.

Yes, and during that massive blindspot a truly massive amount of evil members who have been biding their time will storm the new forum when the mods log off.

And Elder Scrolls is what this entire forum is for, you know like it's name forums.uesp.net.

Imho, it may or may not be superfluous to have two art forums, but if we were forced to chose a single one, then a ES one should take precedence, and therefore I say we should at least try it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next