Switch to full style
Topic locked

Forum rules, FAQ, General Banter thread & more

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am

The Forum Rules need a make-over. Much more summarized, it's too long now. Cactus had an idea with "humorous" rules, I don't know if members will take it seriously then, but it might work.

Cactus also came with the idea of a FAQ (announcement). People can post questions here and after they've been answered, we delete them both and add the question to the first post.

We also need a FAQ/tutorial about PHPBB3 (how the new User Control Panel works, friends/foes, reporting a topic, etc.).

Finally we need to discuss the difference between the General Banter forum and the default General forum.

Cactus and I agreed with this:
Cactus wrote:General:
Topics that require actual discussion, specific topics that shouldn't ever go off-topic, serious topics, etc.

Banter:
less serious topics, games, stuff that consistently goes off-topic, etc. basically the rules on off-topicness will be greatly relaxed her. if you want something to not go off topic, post it in the General thread. I also think those quick one-off topics like we get so much of should go into Banter like "I'm getting a new computer" or "I sold my car" or whatever.

But I'd like to hear the opinion of the other mods as well :D.

Re: Forum rules, FAQ, General Banter thread & more

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 pm

josjie wrote:Cactus also came with the idea of a FAQ (announcement). People can post questions here and after they've been answered, we delete them both and add the question to the first post.

We also need a FAQ/tutorial about PHPBB3 (how the new User Control Panel works, friends/foes, reporting a topic, etc.).
Well, that's what my idea was about, a FAQ-type thing that'll basically be an ever-growing guide to the new system.

I think nailing down some new rules for the new system is pretty important as there are a lot of questions. I'm still not sure what to do myself, so yknow. Get online Codex and Caz!!!

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a Rules subfolder. Right now the rules are huge, as Josie said. I was thinking maybe make that then have a "Rules" thread, a "bots" thread, etc. Basically divide the current rules into smaller threads. The reason for this is not everyone is going to want to read through that epic list of rules. To be honest, if I were a Normal, I probably wouldn't read it. If it were in smaller sections I'd be more inclined to read a shorter "general rules" thread and other threads as I felt it needed.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:23 pm

I believe PHPBB3 has a function that you can place link to the forum rules at the top of every (sub)forum.

Then we can divide the rules into multiple topics, like:
- Basic rules
- Spambots guide
- Tips for beginners
etc.

And every forum will have an URL to this page.

I'd like to help, it doensn't matter how :D. Writing the FAQ, rewriting the forum rules, whatever...

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:26 pm

Before rewriting.. we have to figure out what they are. :lol:
We NEED a Mod meeting for this. :shock:

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Tomorrow night perhaps? Around 21:00.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 pm

You're on the same time zone as everyone else, right? If so that'd be about 3pm for me which.. should be okay.

LINK
Last edited by Cactus on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Have you guys seen this option? We no longer need to "sign" posts when we edit for full infraction. It's done for us! Oh.. edited to add a link to another example of this.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:04 pm

How can you do that?

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 pm

When you edit a post scroll down. There's an area for notes you can type it. It'll automatically add that little thing in. Try it out.. edit my post.
Last edited by Josjie on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Consider this... the editing of your post.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 am

I have GMT.
Topic locked