UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writer's Guild
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
POMC S117 wrote:
There are dozens of ways to use direct speech. There are wrong ways to use it but there are no "correct" ways in the sense that one way is better than the other.

There are no correct ways in that they are incorrect, per se, but that mostly has to do with spoken language. Written language is different and has a set of rules. It depends on the style - MLA, APA, AP, standard, etc. etc. - but if I was given a manuscript with sentences composed like that, I would write red marks everywhere for the first three pages and then tell the author to rewrite his dialogue. And I'm not saying that to be a prick, either. I was just curious because I am a copy editor and have done it professionally, and still do it on the side, so I'm wondering if this is a style or geographical thing or...you know. In case it ever comes through to me.

If your grammar teachers are teaching this...I got nothing, because it wouldn't be your fault. I'm actually very surprised. Commas ought to be for clauses or a continuation of a sentence interrupted by a speaking marker; periods end full sentences and ideas.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 0
It must be a UK thing. To be honest, it isn't the most heinous "crime" you can commit in regards to direct speech.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:11 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
UESPoints: 25
Despite all the regional differences, it seems that the British and American rules coincide in this instant. This rule is present in the Russian language as well.
Incidentally, Oxford Dictionaries is a UK resource. :wink:

But why bounce around to the same damn song?
You'd rather run when you can't crawl...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 pm 
Warder
Warder

Hmm... I looked over my English jotter and it appears I was wrong. The teacher did you a "." instead of a ",". Don't know where I got the "," from.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:08 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
You thought that the "." was a ","?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:23 pm 
Warder
Warder

Yes, but not in the sense that I thought the "." had grown a tail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:23 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind GOTYE (Xbox), Oblivion GOTYE (PC)
Platform: Xbox (original), PC
This is the beginning of an idea that came to me today, this evening in fact. Not that I need another story idea as it is, I have a good dozen various ideas as it is, none yet finished. But I decided to throw a few minutes behind this one, just to get the ball rolling. it doesn't quite encompass the entirety of what teh story is going to be about, but it very much gets the ball rolling.

Spoiler:
The Middle Kingdom

The king and his guests sat around the large oval dinner table laden with a feast, well fit for a king. The fire crackled bright and warmly behind them as goblets were emptied and ladies and gentlemen laughed and talked in good spirits. The king, sitting at the head of the table looked out at the party and felt pleased with what he saw. And not just what was one the surface either. Sure his guests were fed and watered, and that made any one happy, but what pleased him most was that this same sort of attitude presented at his table was one that was reflected throughout his kingdom; prosperity and happiness. Life was good.
And as he sat, a smile upon his bearded face, goblet half way to his mouth, a sudden rushing noise filled the hall. The light attitude of the guests instantly vanished to be replaced by fear and uncertainty. Even the king, placing his goblet on the table, stood slowly, his hand already reaching for his gem encrusted sword, the same with which he had been knighted and crowned, ready to face whatever fell demon dare disturb his joyous evening.
The rushing, howling wind grew louder and stronger, tearing at the women’s ornate garments, sending the fireplace into a roaring inferno and throwing silver dishes flying across the room. At the entrance of the hall, just in front of the massive oak doors, a portal began to open, a swirling doorway of black, blue and purple to a realm no man knew. The evil-looking entrance continued to grow in size ‘til it was some seven feet across, its depth black as the darkest pitch. And when the portal had grown to its full size, or so the king assumed for it grew no more, the wind died immediately, just as swiftly as it had come. And then silence. An explosion of great magnitude emanated from the portal, blasted every occupant in the great hall back into their chairs, hairdos flying uncontrollably, the fire being completed extinguished. And from the blast flew forth a man in simple robes wielding a long cane, onto the flagstone floor at the foot of the dining table, the portal instantly closing behind him. Wives hugged their husbands in fear of the stranger whilst the men drew swords, cautiously watching the man, uncertain if he was friend or foe. The king rose from his high-backed chair to better see the man, even as the man himself rose to his own sandaled feet. The strange man looked about apprehensively, studying his surroundings, his eyes alighting first upon the naked swords pointed towards him. Slowly the man found the eyes of the king, and spread his hands wide, his staff clutched in his left hand, and spoke in a higher-pitched, slightly wheezy voice, “Please, I mean no harm, I come in peace! I only request an audience with the king of this land. I bring urgent news of its future. News imperative if this kingdom is to survive.”
Uncertain of what action to take, the gentlemen around the table looked to their king, their swords still pointed at the stranger. The king took several moments to look over the man, determining the worthiness of his words. His entrance clearly made the man a magician of sorts, many rumors had been heard of such people, though the king had never yet met one. Such folk were said to be of the devil and insane. The king however had reserved such personal judgments. He liked to see a man for himself before passing any sort of judgment about their character. And though this man seemed of unearthly powers, his demeanor seemed to be that of an honest man. True he had no sort of fact to base this on, and he had often been chided by his advisors, friends, and even wife that he was too naïve about strangers, but the king liked his “innocent ‘til proven guilty” attitude towards all man. He believed it gave him an insight and open-mindedness about their nature that would have otherwise been clouded if they had been instantly judged as ill-begotten or churlish. Plus it gave him good standing amidst his subjects. And lastly the man seemed to understand his position, having glanced many times at the shining swords pointed towards his unprotected chest. No, the king wasn’t naïve, he was just kind. But he was not stupid. And clearly neither was this man. He may have unearthly powers, but the fear in his eyes told the king that if he gave the order to attack, the stranger would have no way to defend himself with his “powers”. The man was not a threat, and neither, as far as he could tell, was there any threat in hearing what he had to say. It must have been very important to have traveled in such an elaborate way.
“Sit,” the king said kindly, pointing to a fallen chair at the stranger’s feet.
“Thank you my lord,” the stranger said, righting the toppled chair, perching apprehensively behind the massive oval table even as the king himself sat. The gentlemen looked with confusion between the stranger and their king.
The king gestured impatiently that they should follow suit. “It can’t hurt to hear what he has to say, can it?” the king reasoned to his guests.
“Indeed it can’t my lord,” the stranger said. “And I must say it is nice to be treated civilly this time. The last few kings were far more, hmm, shall we say uncooperative.”
"What is your name stranger? And though I may be more ‘cooperative’, do know that I shall not treat ineptitude and idleness lightly. I have no time for fools.”
The stranger smiled slightly to himself, an act that confused the king, before pressing on. “My named, good king, is Melphrim. And I am glad to hear you have no time for idleness and foolishness. In fact, that has much to do with why I am here. You see I come from a time beyond this one, a time that has not yet happened, at least not for you. And I bring news, even as I first announced.”
“Go on then Melphrim, and tell us this news,” the king prompted, folding his arms over his muscular and richly decorated garment of silk. The rest of the guests, though looking weary and frightened, perched upon the edge of their seats, continued to listen with interest.
“As I said, I come from a time beyond this one, and I am here to say, and it is with great sorrow I bring these tidings, that the time to come is one of sorrow and sickness, poverty, squalor, filth and ignorance. Man has become complacent and degenerate. They don’t care any more, my lord, and as a result your once great society, castles and fortresses like this magnificent keep here, have fallen into ruin, abandoned and left to rot, or otherwise used as strongholds for the wicked and carnal. The glory of man has fallen. But it is not permanent. For you it has yet to happen, and therefore can still be directed and changed for a more pleasant and honorable outcome, one to be proud of, my lord. But this new world, this New Age shall not rise without work and toil. I have come from the time beyond to now, to this Middle Age to start man down the path of knowledge, to show him the wealth and beauty it can bring and inspire. And though I know it is a lot to except, for what obligation do you have to trust my words, and I come to you as a stranger to you and this land, I ask that you allow me to lead Man, these wonderful people, you my lord, into this new age, the age of knowledge and understanding. I ask, for the sake of your children that you do not become complacent and lazy, like my ancestors of old did, leaving us a legacy of shame and despair.”
Several moments of silence elapsed as the king and Melphrim looked at each other, a yearning hopefulness burning in Melphrim’s eyes, uncertainty in the king’s. “You tell a great tale master Melphrim.”
“Thank you my lord,” Melphrim said, bowing his head respectfully.
“But even you must understand it is difficult to believe. Even as you say, how can we trust you? You speak with great conviction, and your certainty makes me want to agree and follow you, if only out of sympathy. And I ask that you forgive me for thinking so evilly of you, for you do not strike me as such a man, but what conviction of my own do I have that you do not wish to use your tale to some how deceive me and gain my throne or that you have some agenda of deceit? Please do not think of me as selfish and craven to my seat of power for first assuming these thoughts, but you must understand that I love being the king of these wonderful people,” said the king spreading his arms wide, indicating the guests still seated around the oval dining table. “I enjoy being their leader, their sense of justice and loyalty. They rely on me, and I rely on them. We are happy and I do not wish to jeopardize that happiness with tall tales. What proofs can you show for your tales master Melphrim, that such a bleak and dire outcome shall transpire against us if we do not do as you ask?”
“My lord you are wise to consider that I may be telling the truth. It is more than I have yet received from other kings and I thank you for your kindness. As for proofs, I may provide them, if you will permit me to use my, ah, powers again?” Melphrim answered, hefting his staff from where it sat upright against the back of the chair in which he sat.
“Indeed you may.”
“Then if you will please direct your attention to the doors behind me, I shall show you a future that may be yours. Though before I begin, please understand that the images you see may not necessarily be a future you experience. Time is fickle and ever wandering. What was for me, which is what you shall see, may not be for you, though I believe, and as far as I have yet seen, it will transpire as so for this world too.”
The king nodded his understanding, gesturing towards the oak doors, indicating for Melphrim to proceed.
Rising from his chair, Melphrim turned to face the sixteen-foot tall lancet-arched oak doors. Raising his robed arms above his head, his staff still clutched in his left hand, Melphrim spoke in a tongue never before heard by any man in that room, and when he finished his chant, images, as clear as the day itself, presented themselves across the wood. Images so real that it looked as if the door had become a window into a new land. A land of gray bleakness, full of sickness and disease.

Men and women in shabby, stained clothes wandered the streets of a ruined town, the roads full of waste and filth. There was no happiness, there was no joy. Just misery and pain. Cruel overlords patrolled the disgusted alleys upon their regal steeds in ornate armour, beating and spitting upon the peasants. The strong ruled the weak through force. Man killed man for money and possessions. There was no honor or dignity.
The scene changed to that of the country side. A cold bleak, grey sky decorated the heavens. Men, thousands of them, marched in unison upon armoured horses, their lances set. They rode to war. They rode to claim what was not rightfully theirs but what they craved out of greed. The trees and grass withered under the clouded sky. Even the evil actions of man had infected the beauty of Nature, killing its wonder and glory.
Again the scene changed. It was a small room, round and filled with books of every imaginable size and topic. A table dominated the floor, so heavily laden with more books and scrolls and burning candles and wads of wax that not a single bare spot of wood could be seen. In fact the table was stacked many feet high with paper and debris. A lone man sat, glasses upon his face, a scroll in his hands, when the door burst open and many armoured men stormed in knocking candles and books aside. They grabbed the lone man by the arms and drug him from the room, throwing a torch amidst the knowledge bound in paper as the left. The imaged repositioned to show the building, nothing more than a small cottage, on a lonely hillside by the woods, as it was burned to the ground by the flames that illuminated the dark night around it.

Melphrim stemmed the flow of depressing and sorrowful images and looked with sadness in his eyes towards the king. “I could show you countless images like this my lord. Scene after scene of men who have forsaken knowledge and turn instead into beings more base than animals. The Man I know, the Man I left, my lord, is concerned with nothing except war. Each gains whatever his heart’s desire through violence and force. There is no desire for knowledge, no pursuit of understanding. Just carnage and lust. Forgive me for having lost hope on our kind my lord, but there is no saving them. That is why I come here, to this time, a time I believe where man is still young enough to learn, but not so ignorant as animals to see wisdom when it is shown to them. We are Men my lord, creatures created and blessed by a being that loved us enough to grant us a mind. And not just a mind like a rabbit or horse my lord, but a mind that can reason and learn. A mind that can come to understand and appreciate the wonders of the magnificent world around us. I believe Man is at its prime, my king, to begin in earnest the greatest study of its life, to learn about ourselves and our world. I beg that you heed my warning. I have tried so many times, and my faith wavers in Mankind.”
Again the king studied Melphrim for a time. For several minutes silence elapsed, a great uncomfortable silence as the king looked ponderously down at his folded hands upon the table, all eyes upon him as he thought. Finally one of the many gentlemen seated around the table stood up abruptly, toppling his chair backwards as he did so. “Forgive me my lord for being so forthright, but surely you do not consider to deny this man his wish? Can you not hear the truth in his voice, the great conviction and sadness with which he speaks? This is not the story of a lair or deceitful man, o king, but of a man desperate to save that which he holds dear. I for one intend to support this man in his quest, for his intents seem honest and worthy unto me.”
Slowly the king looked up from his hands, a stern look upon his face, as he gazed at the gentleman who so abruptly stood up. “No, my good Gardroh.” The king said solemly. A look of despair overcame Gardoh as he understood his folly at having overstepped his boundary as advisor and guest at the king’s side. “I do not consider to deny this man his wish.” A smile twitched across the king’s face, relief evident in Gardoh’s features as wel as he sat back down. “I too fully agree with this man’s quest. And though his tale is wild and difficult to believe, he has shown undeniable proofs. He has spoken truthfully and completely with us, even sharing any skepticism he might possess with us. No fool or liar would dare such things.” Looking unto Melphrim the king said, “I believe your story master Melphrim. And I believe I understand your sorrow, though none but you I fear may ever truly fathom its terrible depths. And none, I hope, shall ever have to again. What may I and the people of my kingdom do for you?”
A smile of elation spread wide upon Melphrim’s face as he sank into his chair, a single tear of happiness spilling from his eye. There might be some hope for mankind yet he thought.

Something I discovered about me and the stories I right is that there isn't a "bad guy" and "good guy". Sure there is a protagonist and antagonist, but the "bad" guy is really ever "bad" per se. Just ignorant and misguided. There is no morale definers in my tales, just the Learned against the Ignorant. I wonder what this says about myself?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:38 am 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games: III - V GOTY, Online
Platform: PS4, Steam
I have been writing for years--journals, short stories, poems, novellas, the occasional song, but I have hit a brick wall. All that wants to come out is rants.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall
Platform: PC, Xbox
I've begun preparing for NaNoWriMo (I'm going to be ready when the time comes). My story will take place in the same (original) world my roleplay Aurora will take place in.

Hi! I am a UESPF Moderator and you can PM me with any concerns you have, no matter how trivial. You can also use the report button - a feature that draws attention to a certain post and allows us to offer our own input.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
Hey, I'll be taking part in NaNoWriMo this year as well! I'll write a trash novel aimed at teenage girls.

On company time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 pm 
Warder
Warder

Venger wrote:
Something I discovered about me and the stories I write is that there isn't a "bad guy" and "good guy". Sure there is a protagonist and antagonist, but the "bad" guy is really ever "bad" per se. Just ignorant and misguided. There are no moral definers in my tales, just the Learned against the Ignorant. I wonder what this says about myself?

For what it's worth, Socrates thought that evil consisted in "ignorance of the Good." Presented with knowledge of the Good, people would select it of their own accord (a little naive in my view, but whatever). So, all we have to do as thinkers, writers, philosophers and so on, is work out what "the Good" is and "inform" everyone! The search for knowledge becomes a kind of holy quest, on this view.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 pm 
Warder
Warder

I've started to write a collection of short stories ( a few pages in length, maybe with a few being about 90 or less) to detail the history of my fictional universe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
I really need to get to my TES fanfic, the one I entered into an old CotM. I'm really excited for it, but with school and everything... :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 pm 
Warder
Warder

I think of most of my ideas at school, which is a shame as I sometimes forget them.

EDIT:

Here is one of my short stories. It's very short, only about 500 words.

The Hope of Arag

In the small village of Dorrach, in the Arag region of Fjorr, there was much excitement. Indeed, a contentment had passed over the village, spreading joy and wonder. On the fiftieth day of the year, as soon as the sun had risen over the horizon, casting a hazy shimmer of light over the village, a baby was born into a young family. They called him Sararag, the Hope of Arag, for he was to lead his people to greatness.

On his fourteenth birthday, that was the day he was to ascend from boyhood and become a man, there was a great darkness in the lands of Arag, a darkness not seen for many a year, not since the south of the continent had been scorched in a terrible blaze and the elves had fled from their lands, vo Exodi du Valiön, the Exodus of the Elves. Sararag's father, Togral, a tall, well-built man with a short, prickly beard and a booming laugh and a skill with a bow unmatched by anyone in the area, led a great rallying of arms. From the village of Wainsright and from the down of Esgaragoth, named for its position near the joining of the Invers Esg and Arag, men came in great numbers, with steel in their hands and fire in their hearts. They converged in Fort Lookout, a remnant of the now-destroyed Mithraleenean Empire, for a great goblin horde had come over the mountains in the east.

The goblins swarmed over the hills, mottled green faces snarling and biting, hammers and maces swiping and swords and spears stabbing. Hither and thither they pillaged and raided and sacked villages and towns until a great many people had been killed or made homeless. They met with the Aragian soldiers at the fort and a great battle commenced. Despite the skill of the men, they were driven from their defence by the great numbers of goblins. The defeat came as a terrible loss as Togral was slain by a goblin arrow and his bow was taken by the goblins.

The goblins pushed down to Esgaragoth, the great town of Arag, and razed it. There was a great fire which burned for many days until the quays and piers creaked and collapsed into the rushing river. The goblins let no man escape for they have no understanding of mercy and are brutal in nature and with a core of stone.

When the news of Togral's death reached the village of Dorrach, Sararag despaired. In a fit of rage, he left Dorrach and marched alone to oppose the goblins. It is said that when he drew his sword, it burned like fire and the goblins were blinded and fled in all directions. The army of Arag that had been scattered returned and halted the goblins retreat, forcing them to cross the Inver Arag. Many goblins perished on the river, the few that did make it not troubling the region for many, many years. Sararag found his father's bow and raised it up into the air, shouting Lokve's praises and proclaimed himself King of all the land of Arag.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind GOTYE (Xbox), Oblivion GOTYE (PC)
Platform: Xbox (original), PC
Short stories like this are always really nice to have POMC. It helps give a more "in-person" feel to the lore of a story rather than a stoic history lesson. Then, after you have compiled a good sum of these short, lore stories, you can bind them all together, and in a manner consistent with Roger Lancelynn Green, or how 'The Once and Future King' is written, you can make a sort of timeline adventure. Each tale within the story focuses on a single point in history, like Sararag retaking Arag. But throughout the entirety of the book, a broader, much more generalized plot is revealed. Or in like turn all these short stories are stepping stones to a much larger finale, which, in this case, is more attune to the writing style of 'The Once and Future King'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 pm 
Warder
Warder

I'm thinking of having a long collection of short stories set around the history of my fiction world after the disaster that has been alluded to, specifically focusing on the struggles posed to the Kingdom of Arag.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: 1 to 5 of the main series, none of the spinoffs
Platform: xbox 360 skyrim, all else pc
Other Profiles: Steam: Dovawolf
We have a writer's guild? I've written a few fanfics which are on the wiki, under the same user. I've got a longer novel coming on but it's not Elder scrolls related.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
UESPoints: 25
Fanfiction about one of my - rather bizarre pairings of a Dragonborn with a randomish NPC. This time, it's Kiara and Ondolemar.Image

Everything OK pt 1
Spoiler:
'Hey Ogmund - check this out!' Kiara swallowed the huge chunk of pastry she had been luxuriating in chewing, leaned closely towards her skald friend's ear, her blue eyes alive with dancing mischievous sparks, and, ignoring the disapproving growl of her faithful hound, who lay dozing in the firelight at her feet, half-whispered, half-sang, almost burying her face in Ogmund's mangy mane of grey hair,

We drink to our youth,
To days come and gone,
For the elven oppression
Is just about done!
We will drive out the Thalmor
From this land that we own,
With our blood and our steel
We will take back our home!
Dominion's agents,
You aren't our kings!
In honour of Talos
We drink and we sing!

'The ending is same as always,' she concluded, drawing away from the old skald and allowing herself to raise her voice to its usual cheerfully shrill pitch. Me and my friends at the Bards' College made it up, all by ourselves! Boy, was Vjarmo angry at us - because we kept everyone awake for hours, in the dead of night! They say brilliant ideas always come in the dead of night, but then again, I don't know if this is really that brilliant an idea; I need your opinion on this first... Personally, I never quite liked all that drive out thing - for me, peaceful life all together is the way to go. But I still think it's pretty groovy!'

Ogmund checked her flow of speech with a good-natured pat on the shoulder, the look of his only eye both amused and a little concerned, 'One thing I can say for sure, lass: if you ever sing this in the streets of Markarth, Ondolemar will finally have someone to roast at the stake'.

Kiara's expression remained blank. 'Ondole-who?' she asked innocently.

Ogmund made a vague gesture. 'You know - the head Thalmor here. Skulks around the Keep all day, plotting ways to hunt down every last true son and daughter of Skyrim. Been after me for a while now, but I will see these Dwemer towers turn to sand before he lays his accursed elven claws on me'.

'Ah, him,' Kiara said slowly, her face lighting up with understanding as her mind conjured up the image of the tall robed figure, the haughty countenance, the broad stride of gilded boots across the stone floor of the Keep, the hard glint of amber-coloured eyes from beneath a dark hood. 'Yeah, I think I bumped into him once or twice - but that's it. I try to steer clear of the Thalmor - they don't smile back when you smile at them; and for me, that's a serious symptom. About the only business I ever have with them is saving their prisoners every now and then'.

As Kiara chuckled at her own words, the familiar evening noises of the Silver-Blood Inn - the clutter of tableware, the monotonous scraping of Hroki's broom, the muffled hum of drowsy conversation, and, of course, the occasional acid remarks that Kleppr and his wife fired at each other like duelling mages - suddenly died down, silenced by a piercing gust of icy wind that came rushing through the half-open door and sent a proverbial shiver down the spine of each of the inn's regulars, even though the weather outside was unusually warm for this time of year in Skyrim. Ogmund, who sat with his back towards the entrance, turned his head slightly to be able to look over his shoulder with his sighted eye; Kiara, nestled snugly in a chair opposite Ogmund's, strained her neck to see what was going on, for the skald was blocking her view; the hound at her feet stirred and pricked up his ears; almost instantly, the three of them, as well as the other inn regulars and the bewildered Kleppr, located the source of the penetrating chill.

It was certainly not a thing you saw every day - a Thalmor soldier deigning to leave the Keep and coming down to the local inn, of all places. The air seemed to grow dense with mute questions as the gold-armoured mer hovered on the threshold, his lips curled up in a grimace of disgust - as if he was reluctant to step forward for fear of getting his precious self dirty. Finally, he spoke, 'Which of you humans is Kiara the Redguard sellsword?'

Ogmund frowned and muttered through gritted teeth, 'Damn stuck-up elf. He can see perfectly well from where he stands that you lass are the only Redguard in the room. Must be showing us that human races all look the same to him'.

Kiara shrugged the old skald's hushed soliloquy off, too curious to find out what the Thalmor soldier wanted with her, and, leaping lightly from her chair, trotted up to him, followed at a small distance by the yawning, scratching, rather reluctant hound. For a few seconds, they scrutinized each other in silence, Kiara with her customary ear-to-ear grin of greeting, which she was ready to share with practically any inhabitant of Skyrim, the Thalmor with a look of disdainful incredulity, and the dog with a distrustful twitch of his nose and a small snarl.

'Kiara the Redguard sellsword,' the soldier repeated at length, clearly taken aback by the young human's cheerful, almost child-like expression - something which does not usually go with a calling such as hers.

'That's me!' Kiara's grin grew several degrees broader. 'Though I also go in for magic a little - I take a course at the College of Winterhold, in Alteration, Restoration, and basic Destruction and Illusion... no Conjuration for me, oh no! Making dead bodies do things for you... that's way too gross! Anyway, what I was trying to say is - this kind of ought to make me a spell-sellsword... or a sell-spellsword...'

The soldier's left eyebrow twitched in a not too promising way.

'You are to come with me to the Keep,' he said dryly. 'Justiciar Ondolemar wants to have a word with you'.

'So, what happened to steering clear of the Thalmor?' the dog asked quietly, climbing up one of Markath's many flights of stone steps in Kiara's wake.

'Hush, Barbas,' she replied light-heartedly, 'You know I contradict myself all the time... And besides, I've always been curious how long it might take to make friends with one of these guys.'

But why bounce around to the same damn song?
You'd rather run when you can't crawl...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall
Platform: PC, Xbox
I find the plot is the hardest to actually come up with when planning a story. I got setting, struggle and mostly character down, but I lack in forming and carrying through a plot. One is finally forming for an idea I've had for the past few months now. But I still only have the major plot points and have little idea how I'm going to tie it all together.

Hi! I am a UESPF Moderator and you can PM me with any concerns you have, no matter how trivial. You can also use the report button - a feature that draws attention to a certain post and allows us to offer our own input.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: XBox 360
It's about time I joined the Writer's Guild here, I reckon. I've been working on an epic TES fan fiction tale called The Gaersmith Legacy. It is intended to become a huge epic tale spanning multiple eras of Tamrielic history, as seen from the perspective of various ancestors and descendants of an old Breton family. The family trade is gaersmithing (small "g"), which is a primitive form of blacksmithing. The gaersmith gathers his own raw materials, and is personally involved in every step of crafting weapons and armour from that material. According to this tale, modern blacksmiths are less in touch with the raw materials of their tradecraft, relying on specialist miners to gather the ores. Some blacksmiths are even removed from the smelting process itself, preferring to fashion their wares only from ingots. Blacksmithing is considered "manufacturing", while the work of the gaersmith is considered a quirky, archaic form of artisanship. Each piece crafted by a gaersmith is unique. The gaersmith imbues his pieces with magical enchantments using Soul Gems that he has mined and filled himself, rather than relying on specialist mages. Even the merchandising of such unique items is part of the gaersmith's role. Every stage, from digging up the raw materials to selling the finished item, is personally attended to by the gaersmith.

The first chapter shows the stark dichotomy between blacksmith and gaersmith, as the current members of the Gaersmith (capital "g") family are forced by the Imperial Army to perform as blacksmiths during the Great War, mass producing weapons and armour to aid in driving the Aldmeri Dominion out of the Imperial City.

Anyway, that's a short intro to my main TES fan-fic story. Oh, and Arch-Mage Matt, I have a suggestion for you which may help with your plot development. When scoping out my plot lines, I've been making a lot of use of FreeMind, a free and open-source mind mapping application that is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. I personally find it helpful to organise my thoughts with colour codes and branches for characters, events, locations, and then pull the required elements together into a branch for a particular chapter. Below is an example of one such mindmap I have created for The Gaersmith Legacy. I hope it proves inspirational. Sorry, it is rather large, and I didn't want to upload a smaller version just for the forums, but at least it is readable. :D

Hidden:
Here is another, more recent view of my Gaersmith Legacy mindmap. This one is a lot larger in scale, but is zoomed to the point that it can't really be read (which is good, because there's some juicy plots in there that I don't want to reveal just yet!) but at least you can get the feel for how much effort I'm putting in to planning the storyline and the sub-plots, and how easy it is to keep track of everything with FreeMind.

Hidden:
Because I try to adhere closely to established Elder Scrolls lore in my writing, I use tags within my mindmap to identify the origin of each element, indicating whether it is canonical, original, or extrapolated from lore. Also, each element of the mindmap can contain HTML code, or links directly to pages on the UESP wiki, so that I can quickly get further background detail from the wiki about something I've listed on the mindmap. Elements can also have icons in them, which I use (a small green tick) to quickly identify those elements that I have used already in my story.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 2
-blinks twice- mental note to add that to my computer.. That may help me a lot..

Hey, are you into roleplay?! Click here to join our awesome subforum!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:53 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Oblivion collectors Edition& GOTY. Skyrim Collector's Edition
Platform: XBOX 360
I think I shall use this to make my signature shorter so I can add more to it.

Current Fics and Fanfics of Uno:

Zeyelden (TES Skyrim Fanfic/Fic): Click here please. Chapter 6 current.

Zeyelden Roleplay ((Has a bit more story and depth)): Click here please Will be updating when I can find what I was doing and where I put the long post.

Priestess Assassin, Aaro's Memoires ((Fic/Fanfic based off of Justice's Rp)): Click here please Currently up to when Zzruh declares her his apprentice, still writing.

Camp Half Blood: Primordial Duet Click here please, currently accepting

More updates and fics to come as well as pictures, something to occupy me. Please check here.

Camp Half Blood: Primordial Duet. Accepting

Click for a look at TES animated emoticons =3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 pm 
Archmage
Archmage

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: AbroadHarpy22 Steam: Hissien
UESPoints: 1
Here is a story of my people or rather, the story told to me by my grandfather about the people:

The Story of the Raven and The chief’s daughter:

Hidden:
As the story was told by my Grandfather and his Grandfather and his Grandfather before him:

The Raven has two eyes, one on the past and one on the future so its path will always fly straight.

One day in the village, the raven landed on the chief’s longhouse, calling out to him. The raven said that bad things were coming and hard times would soon be upon the village. Indeed so it was, the lands had grown dry, the fish were leaving the waters and many of the children lay sick in their homes. But the sickness had begun spreading to even the strongmen, the hunters.

The raven looked down from his perch on the longhouse. “The Great Mystery is cross with the two legs! Some among you have taken more from the water than you needed!” The raven said. “A great sickness will come and every man, woman and child will die unless the Great Mystery is appeased!” The raven cackled.

The chief looked up at the Raven, his eyes full of worry for his people. “What may we do to appease the creator?” The chief asked hoping for answers.

The raven looked down at the people his eyes seeing the future but far from clearly. “The great mystery is just that, a mystery!” The raven said flying into the sky and leaving the people with this omen.

The chief told his beloved daughter and his people to be calm and to care for their sick, in the hope that answers would come to them soon. He spoke: “I am Tayee of this villiag, I will find the medicine that we need!” He said from atop the hill where his longhouse was.

The sickness spread, taking many of the strongmen, not even the great Chief’s daughter was spared. He lay sick and dying in their home. She knew he would not survive another night. The chief gathered his people and spoke to them: “I have asked the creator for help and the elders for guidance, and still our people are dying.” He said, his daughter could only hope that her father had found a medicine, an answer of any kind.

An old man walked into the village, he was old and far seeing. This old man had never come to the wedding feasts or the sand dance. He had lived always apart from the people and some believed he had long ago taken the journey to the other side. The old man stopped in front of the people, looking at them as they looked at him in wonder.

“I have lived one hundred summers and one hundred winters,” The old man began. “I do not even know how old I am anymore.” He said. “But I know this, I have been kept alive for a reason and from where the sun has risen I know why. My father was a shaman among the Chinook, when I was a boy fishing in the rivers he told me a grave sickness would befall the people, everyone, every man and child would die, unless the Great Mystery could be appeased.” The old man said gravely.
The chief looked up and spoke. “What must be offered?”

“A daughter of the headman, a daughter of he is or was chief.” The old man said. “She must go to the cliff above the sacred river and give her soul back to the earth, back to the creator, and when this is done, the sickness will leave this land. I have spoken it is so. I have told my father’s secret and now I will take the journey to the other side.” He said walking back to the hill he had come from far from the village.

Honoring the words of the old man the daughters of all chiefs, all headmen, came down to the center fire. The women and the people were scared, for one of them had to die.

“I have made my decision.” The chief spoke. “No woman will be asked to take the journey to the other side. We shall meet death with courage. “ The chief said, the people began to cry in outrage for they feared death. The old man held up his hand. “Council is ended, return to your camps.” He said.

That night the chief’s daughter went home, to tend to her sick husband. “All will be well, my wife. Do not worry, the sickness will pass like the wind on the water and soon. If I die, I go bravely.” He said, closing his eyes from fatigue.

The chief’s daughter loved her husband, as she loved her father and as she loved her people. She could not bear to see them die when there was something she could do about it. She left the village heading for the cliff above the sacred river, when she reached the top she stopped and looked over the valley. She spoke to the creator. “Creator, I stand up here before you, your daughter. I don’t want to leave, but if I do, will you make this sickness pass quickly from the people? If you accept me, give me a sign, show it to me in the sky.” The chief’s daughter pleaded from high above the river. It was slow but the sun was covered by darkness, and the day became night, she had her sign. She fell from the top of the cliff, for it was her duty to her people and she died gladly to save those she loved
When the sun rose over the water, so did the sick of the village. Slowly the strength of the people returned to them and they were healthy once more, the waters ran clear and pure once more and life returned to the land, it was truly a sacred happening. The people did not know what had brought this blessing, the husband came to the chief and asked him if he had seen his daughter, when the chief had not they left for the cliff with great speed.

When they finally reached the top, they saw that her shell necklace lie broken on the ground. The chief weeped and called out to the Great Mystery. “Creator, my daughter has taken the journey for us, show me that you have received her into the other world. I beg of you.” The chief said.

When the chief spoke, his words carried to the wind and a great flow of water poured down from the cliffs above the sacred river and made the river flow strong and pure. The water stayed for many summer moons and the people remember why. It was the pure-hearted sacrifice of a young woman for the lives of her people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Daric Gaersmith wrote:
This one is a lot larger in scale, but is zoomed to the point that it can't really be read (which is good, because there's some juicy plots in there that I don't want to reveal just yet!) but at least you can get the feel for how much effort I'm putting in to planning the storyline and the sub-plots, and how easy it is to keep track of everything with FreeMind.

I've seen FreeMind recommended and mentioned several times around the NaNoWriMo circle, but haven't tried it out yet. However, it looks like you can really keep a great flow of your ideas without tedious notes or spreadsheets, which is how I currently operate, so I might have to finally cave and give it a go!

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, PS4/3, Xbone
I was hoping some of the more accomplished writers here would be able to help with this. I enjoy creative writing and I've got a bunch of ideas, but I have trouble developing a plot larger than a one-chapter flash fic and my ideas lend themselves better to longer works. Does anyone have any tips on plotting they can share?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next