UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

Switch to mobile style
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: The Writer's Guild
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:42 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind GOTYE (Xbox), Oblivion GOTYE (PC)
Platform: Xbox (original), PC
UESPoints: 0
Please, serious applicants only.

This is a place for authors of any sort, whether it be comic book, short story, or a full blown novel, to come together and discuss literature at its core. Need help with an idea? Have writer's block? Need inspiration for another story? Simply want to talk about past works of yours or others?

Then you my friend have found the right thread. Feel free to post your works as well. This is the place for authors of any sort to come and hang out and entangle themselves in the wonderful magic of the written word.

Post subject: Re: The Writer's Guild
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:53 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind AND Oblivion
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
Obviously I'd be here. why didn't you tell me you were gonna make one of these?

When I get enough on my many stories you'll be the first to here 'em V.

*Edited*

Last edited by Dean on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please use the dit button instead of double posting please

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind,
Platform: PC, XBOX 360
I've seriously been thinking about writing something ES-related, to get my brain back into the whole writing flow.

It'd be based after Oblivion, with the reformation of the Altmeri Dominion against the Empire. They would then attack Anvil. The story would be told either 3rd person, or 1st person, through the eyes of a Legion soldier. I'd like to incorporate some WW2 elements into this story, and it would be pretty graphic and probably very horrific in some parts, though it would have its good side. It wouldn't really be all about the blood and action either, as I would insert some emotional, mental, and creative plot twists into the story. Hopefully a great character could be developed.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 pm 
Champion
Champion

It sounds like the setting for an epic Wooly.

Anyway, I'm in the process of writing the first part of a story, which I was inspired to do after the forming of our new Deviant Art group. Taking inspiration from my own life and the Radiohead album OK Computer, I'm making it about alienation and the unremarkable yet wonderful of a teen in a bleak city (+1 special point if you can guess what the city's called). I'm not exactly planning on making this family friendly though, so I might not post it here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Woolymammoth wrote:
I've seriously been thinking about writing something ES-related, to get my brain back into the whole writing flow.

It'd be based after Oblivion, with the reformation of the Altmeri Dominion against the Empire. They would then attack Anvil. The story would be told either 3rd person, or 1st person, through the eyes of a Legion soldier. I'd like to incorporate some WW2 elements into this story, and it would be pretty graphic and probably very horrific in some parts, though it would have its good side. It wouldn't really be all about the blood and action either, as I would insert some emotional, mental, and creative plot twists into the story. Hopefully a great character could be developed.

Thoughts?

I would greatly like to read a story through the eyes of a Legionnaire. See the war and world from the down to earth level. Would be very interesting. This view would help too I think for character development. And a few epicly grotesque battles would be bad either. Writing how he feels whilst hacking a man in two. Perhaps him questioning his motives. I don't know. Just shooting blind here in an attempt to help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll join. I'm thinking about writing a story some time based on a character I hope to create.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:41 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: 2, 3, 4
Platform: PC
Venger wrote:
Please, serious applicants only.

Where/how to apply?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:17 am 
Warder
Warder

http://uesp-forums-club.deviantart.com/ ... 0#/d2qo6fj

http://uesp-forums-club.deviantart.com/ ... 0#/d2rhe2b

http://uesp-forums-club.deviantart.com/ ... 0#/d2w9dj6

http://dlcam.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2qut2d

I write a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:21 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind onward
I wish I wrote more than I did. I can write really well when I take the time to do so, but I rarely do. I still have this awesome setting I want to use, and can't figure out how to sculpt the actual characters and the storyline. But if I write anything else, or if you all can convince me to get off my butt and write, I'll be sure to post here~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:55 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: 2, 3, 4
I'm not going to write for you people though, lol. Interesting reading all of your work, however.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Location: They have a large barge with a radio antenna that they charge and discharge.
Odessus Naito wrote:

Where/how to apply?

You have to send me £50. Although I will accept 16 pints of Harvey's Sussex Best as payment as well.

(The temptation is to send Venger a PM saying 'You know, I'm not a serious applicant, but can I still join?')

Fanfiction :: Music

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

I have a short story I am working on myself. It shouldn't be too long before I finish it either. I have about half a dozen people helping me edit it. Once it get's done though, this is the first place I'll post it interent wise. After that I will do a special hand written form in the Gothic Hand for me and others. But for a price.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
You know, I used to write all the time. It got me published, won me scholarships, made me a lot of friends. I enjoyed it. I foolishly stopped when I went to university for a handful of reasons, but now that I am more mature and much wiser in the ways of wisdom and happiness, I decided I'd like to return to it. Denying yourself something that you love so much is like losing a part of yourself. It's horrible.

Perhaps chatting with other creative minds would help give me the kick I need. I'm a bit washed out after doing NaNoWriMo, but count me in, I'd very much like to contribute!

Woolymammoth wrote:

Thoughts?

I would read it; it sounds extremely interesting. I vote for through the eyes of a Legion soldier. I must say I greatly admire anyone who can write fanfiction well; I just started to try my hand at it and have found it is a difficult and subtle art to master. Getting even one good review on a site like fanfiction.net, to me, is such a big honor. I don't know how people manage to do it.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 am 
Guardian
Guardian

So you guys have been hearing me say that I am writing a novel for some time now. And even if you haven't heard me say this, I am. but what you are about to read is not from that novel, but from the prologue to a story I am helping to co-write with my friends. It doesn't have an official name yet unfortunately, but it does have its prologue. it is not permanent yet as it has not been approved by the other writers of the tale, but I felt like sharing what I wrote with you guys all the same. Please let me know what you think of it. And please, be honest. Like I tell any one who reads my stuff, I would much rather you came right out and said it sucked, rather then be polite and dance about the bush. I prefer brutal honesty to anything else. I won't be offended if you think it sucks, but I would appreciate it that you be specific as to why it does suck. Same goes for if it is good (to which we all hope it is). Please be specific as to what you thought was good about it, rather then sayin stuff like, "I really enjoyed it". To be just as equally blunt and honest to you as I hope you will be to me, I would rather you didn't post comment at all about the snippet if this is all you are going to say as this sort criticism doesn't help me in the least.

Thanks for your time, hope you enjoy it, and please be honest in your critique.

Spoiler:
    Story Manuscript: Prologue
Again the lightning flashed across the dark sky, lighting the land for one blinding second. Thunder followed but a moment later, as deafening as the lightning was bright, as the rain continued to fall.

Poets of the day had begun to equate such stormy weather with sadness. Tonight was no different, particularly for little eight year old Guendolynn who stood by her mother's side, the tears running down her face like the rain on the window outside. For several months Guen's mother, the Queen, had been ill. It was but a slight bit of fatigue at first, believed to be related to the Queen's pregnancy, but as the weeks went on, soon she became too ill to even move. The King had every herbalist and healer inside his kingdom and out brought to the castle in an attempt to heal his dying wife. But as none could discern what was wrong with her, none could properly treat the eight month pregnant Queen. Having grown exceedingly desperate, the King authorized the use of any and all means, no matter how unorthodox or crazy they were, to heal his wife, who came closer and closer to death each day. But even the most skilled herbalists, with their tinctures and their balms, and the best healers, with their spells and charms, could do nothing to save the Queen.

Which is why little Guendolynn and her father, the King, stood now beside her bed, with tears running down their faces, watching as their beloved slowly, painlessly drift into a sleep from which they all three knew, she would not wake from. Her time had come. Her farewells had been bade. She had reassured her young daughter again and again that she would see her again some day, telling her to be brave and not fear.
And as she drew her last breath, she looked upon the faces of her husband and daughter, who now stood together, and said to them, with a look of serene happiness and everlasting gratitude, "I love you".

These were the last words any one would hear the Queen say, for upon these parting words the proud and beautiful Queen died, her unborn child with her.

I realize it isn't Shakespeare and that it probably wont be winning any awards anytime soon and that it is a bit short for a prologue, but what do you make of it? This is one of the few times I have ever actually gotten anything from deep within my head onto paper, so I am largely new to all this. Plus, this is the first time I have ever written with great emotion, so this too it quite difficult to capture in words. That and this is the first time as well that I have put any of my written work on the internet in any form, so I am slightly nervous, despite being among friends.

So what do you make of it? Yay? Nay? Meh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:25 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

I've been trying to write a book for 3 years now, I kept twisting the plot, and its nothing even close to the original anymore, but no matter how many twists or changes I make to it, when I type it down, it always ALWAYS comes out cheesy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, and Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
I've got a few fanfictions posted here. None of them are finished, however.

I think I'm about to continue with one of these fanfictions titled "The Black Rose"

Bow to your mighty King of Monkeys!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Venger wrote:
I realize it isn't Shakespeare and that it probably wont be winning any awards anytime soon and that it is a bit short for a prologue, but what do you make of it? This is one of the few times I have ever actually gotten anything from deep within my head onto paper, so I am largely new to all this. Plus, this is the first time I have ever written with great emotion, so this too it quite difficult to capture in words. That and this is the first time as well that I have put any of my written work on the internet in any form, so I am slightly nervous, despite being among friends.

It's terrifying to share things with strangers (and friends), especially when it's such an important part of yourself, as any good writer's work is. When I committed myself to actually investing time in writing I decided that the only way I would continue was with sharing it, because a) it's a way for me to say, "I have to write it, it's out there!", as I hate unfinished projects, and b) because I knew that, even if people didn't like it, I would be able to get great advice about how to improve. In theory, anyway. I haven't posted any original fiction yet, but I don't have much luck with fanfiction...which I wrote assuming people would be more eager to read that. But yes, share! Sharing is good!

I think what you have is a good start. I know that reading that you're probably like, "Great job, Avron, that's very detailed," but, you know, a story is as good as its chapters, and you don't judge until you've read at least a few. Would I read more? Yes - and that's what's important in the beginning. In that regard, bravo, Venger! :)

As someone who was once a copy editor, I know that all good writing happens in phases, like a watercolor painting: the initial draft, the editing process, the rewrite, and another editing process. I always suggest that you write your first draft with all the emotion and words you want without thinking too heavily about it, and then tweak it again on the reread. If you focus too much on "I hope this is good!" then you'll never get any further than a few sentences.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:44 am 
Guardian
Guardian

Avron the S'wit wrote:
As someone who was once a copy editor, I know that all good writing happens in phases, like a watercolor painting: the initial draft, the editing process, the rewrite, and another editing process. I always suggest that you write your first draft with all the emotion and words you want without thinking too heavily about it, and then tweak it again on the reread. If you focus too much on "I hope this is good!" then you'll never get any further than a few sentences.

First off, my greatest thanks for your input. And I do have to admit that I agree with you in this part. I always felt much the same way when I wrote, in so much that it was done in phases, much like you describe. An author doesn't sit down one afternoon and whip out an awesome tale with all the fixings. it takes time and SEVERAL drafts, each one becoming more detailed and specific, closer to the final product.
And like you advise, so I did with this snippet. I knew what should be there and immersed my self into the story so I could write with appropriate emotion and clarity, but I very well knew that this was not the final product, merely a hazy, murky shadow of what is to come.
I am gladdened that you wish to read more, and as I write it down, so shall you read it. my aim is to make what I believe to be a classic faery tale (and I am not referring to that Brother's Grim sort of fairy tale either) with love and treachery, and magyck and faeries. As I have the general plot down, it should be fairly simple to continue, but I recognize that much work is still to come to achieve a satisfactory result, for both me and the reader.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim Legendary Edition
Other Profiles: Steam : thecompanioncube1
I have issues with only one part of writing. Starting a story. I have the plot laid out, so I want to get right into it, and the backstory is just missing.

Could one help me start this story I'm writing? It involves a group of people fighting back against an evil, oppressive king.

Just run until your legs start shaking,
Don't stop until you hit the floor!
And I hope one day,
We find our way,
'Til then we got an awful lot to lose,
So get up and move!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Argh, starting a story (or chapter) is my nemesis. My advice is vague. If I were you, themasterofpuppets, I would find a way to start the story that is going to put your characters and their struggles into a unique light. A lot of stories revolve around the same ideas (ie, fighting back against an evil, oppressive king), but that's not as important to readers as the characters who are doing it. What attracts a lot of us to a story isn't just the plot - it's the characters who we fall in love with and care for and feel something for who we want to see progress along the plot. You have to establish your characters as people a reader can identify with and be intrigued with from the start. If you can jump right into the plot while doing so, go for it.

I like characters with personalities and backstories, and I'm sure a lot of other people do, too. Don't be tempted to dive right into your plot just because you have it. Give everything a little more life - it might take your plot in an unexpected direction or even richen it.

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

themasterofpuppets: Joss Whedon is my god.
...oh, yeah, the whole 'here's why' bit! :roll:

Here's why: I won't paraphrase Joss, because it wouldn't do him justice. But essentially, y'know that film Air Force One (bear with me.. )? Harrison Ford begins the film as a strong, confident, save-the-day kinda President. He ends the film as a---- well, a strong, confident, save-the-day kinda President...

Avron is right in that the things that matter are the characters, the dialogue; what they say to each other, how they say it, and why. But Joss's Air Force One Principle is a big part of making any good story. If you have a central character, make sure - through dialogue, and through the actions and events they participate in - that they evolve. Luke Skywalker begins Star Wars as a naive farmboy, eager for adventure. Two films later? Luke knows the cost of war, personal grief, and the responsibility of power.

Not sure how much experience you've had writing, as I've only just looked at this thread. But the process by which characters evolve and develop are called arcs; the narrative arc deals with the big plot, the story. As a writer, it's fundamentally the world your create on page 1 - and the world (and its characters) that result on the very last page. But within that are character arcs; the trajectory of development as characters.

Star Wars; Han Solo starts selfish, but through conversations and experience (events, actions, things they do and things that happen TO them), he comes to put aside selfish survivalism, and puts his neck on the line for a greater cause other than himself. That's Solo's arc.

During writing, character arcs occur naturally - to an extent. But as a writer, you need to maximise the impact and importance of (literally) everything you put into the story. If you have 4 main characters, and 3 of 'em have good, strong arcs - then what's the 4th guy or gal doing? If they don't contribute emotionally or thematically to the main story (or the main characters arc), and if they don't develop throughout, they're just wasting space, your time, and the readers time.

That might sound harsh, but it's true. Make every character count for something, or leave them out. And if you say 'well, this character is there to tell the Hero/Heroine something about the main plot, so I need them!', then they're not a character - they're just a plot cipher (something which exists simply to forward the story). People don't read a book or watch a film for plot ciphers. Always remember that there are many, many ways in which to communicate basic plot points (to your characters, and to the reader).

It's obvious, but motivation is what counts for all arcs. Often, the Hero/Heroine is initially unwilling to undergo whatever task forms the main plot. If he/she suddenly wakes up one day and decides to topple the Big Bad, then that's not motivation. It's not organic, it's not human. The most obvious way to demonstrate motivations importance is: the Big Bad kidnaps someone he loves, someone he can't live without. Straight away the Good Guy/Gal has a reason to pick up a wooden stick and go beat the Big Bad. It makes their actions believable. And unless the reader believes in the characters, none of the story or the plot or the fancy writing will make a jot of difference.

So, three basic pointers:
  • character arcs - make them consistent, and you'll ensure each character earns their place in your book
  • motivation - without a believable reason for your characters actions, nothing else will matter
  • be honest - if you can't quite make a character work, or a plot point make sense, get rid of it. Being a good writer is about a lot of things, but knowing what to leave out is probably the most important ability.

Lastly, don't get bogged down creating the world, lore, history, language, tea cosies... Ultimately, that's all completely irrelevant. What people remember are great characters (often conflicted), believable dialogue, and above all else, just a good yarn.

(If I've repeated anything previously posted, apologies)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:14 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
-snip-

On company time

Last edited by MARS on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:42 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Great post, The Tourist! You went into all the details a lot of us assume we know but easily forget. I feel like that should be stickied...or printed out and hung up next to any writer's work station.

Here's a good question for you, Writer's Guild, which I've been discussing with the lovely Leilah: how do you get over writer's block? Do you take a break and reboot? do little exercises or games? have a little notebook/file where you freewrite whatever comes to mind?

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:50 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Breaking the block ,eh? Not to sure. I never tried to work it out. I usually just left it alone for a while and it unstuck itself for me. Personally I get writer's block when i try to hard. So if I relax a bit, and let it come to me like it always does, I am usually okay. But that is just me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
I just wait until the words come on their own. Forcing them turns out badly for me.

On company time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next