UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime General Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:48 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
I thought the movies are inferior to the original anime but that might be first exposure bias, so I don't know. Though I will say that the movies have this scene that absolutely destroyed me:

potential tear-ruining spoilers:

On company time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:59 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
As I'll always say, Evangeline is a must watch for any anime fan, if not for it's divided fandom but for it's impact upon the genre in general. Sort of like Akira or Cowboy Bebop, it's a classic no matter what you say

But ya, the original series >_> aside from how.. At times it can drag on.. Or the level of [&@%!]/philosophical exposition it throws at ya.. Action and themes, good! Animation and plot near the end.. Well :wat: There's a reason why a the End movie was made.. Even if it had mixed reviews

But ya, if you wanna watch the ReMake movies(1.1 & 2.2 are out right now) you should really watch the original first <_< partly bc A) you'll miss on some themes and development and B)It's that much harder to watch an older series after it's newer adaptation. The reverse, that much easier. More anime should be a good thing

Anyways :roll: The ReMake films are actually pretty good in my opinion, certainly an improvement over the original.. If not a tad rushed(but I mean, just like FMA Brotherhood, they expect you to have watched the original) Really has some good scenes with the angels too

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
So I finished Kill la Kill, eh, it was alright I guess. I thought the real episodic first half was weaker than the more story heavy second half, maybe that's cause of not watching it week to week though and by that point I was more invested in the core cast, but there's only so many ways Ryuko can come up against a club president she can't easily defeat before Mako gives an embarrassing albeit inspirational speech about her girlfriend. Whole set up of the school reminded me of a Saints Row gang. Kill la Kill spoilers:
Spoiler:
Stopping being evil is good sure, but I'm surprised there's people who think "Satsuki did nothing wrong" when she clearly did a lot wrong and the ends didn't justify the means. She didn't need to set up an authoritarian dictatorship with heavy class division where she makes people's lives hell. She even recognizes later in the show that being like her mother and how she managed the school was not only wrong morally, it also doesn't work. Treating people like they're things instead of people is bad is kinda the whole moral of the show.

So yeah, weird.

Attack on Titan Season 2 finished up last week and it was fantastic. Apparently Season 3 is coming in 2018, we're heard such things before but this was half the length of Season 1 so, maybe. Spoilers for the last two episodes of Season 2.
Spoiler:
Erwin ordering his men to advance before having a Titan bite his arm off, after which he orders his men to keep advancing was one my favorite moments in the entire show. Like holy [&@%!]. Also Hannes dying and Mikasa telling Eren that even she ships them were pretty emotional too.

Attack on Titan is a good example of how sometimes things are really popular because they're good. And I really appreciate how despite having such a large cast who all wear the same uniform, the art style manages to make them all look distinct and good. None of that same face syndrome some shows have where characters have different brightly colored hair colors because it's literally the only way you could tell them apart.

I'm going to watch Evangelion after I finish the new season of Orange is the New Black. I'll report back what I think of it, like I've mostly heard really good things about it other than an apparently bizzaro ending. Also I main D.Va (and Mercy, but whatever) so like come on, I have to watch it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

AoT S2
Spoiler:
Mate! That Erwin moment with that arm was so badass!! I would be lying if I said I wasn't leaning forward in my seat in total anticipation. I mean, [&@%!] hell man, seriously, just, [&@%!] hell
But ya, AoT really earns it's right to be popular and the hype. Like, I won't lie, season 2 is really good, but I'm not feeling as big of waves made like when season 1 was out.. Then again, we've had years of anticipation to look forward to and we also know what to look out for(i.e characters dying left right and center) But really, AoT just earns it's spotlight, like, it does so many things right >_> instead of just doing.. Say.. One or two right then drawing it out so long till it's essentially dead in a ditch(Looking at you, long-running shonen)

But ya, if they release a season 3 soon to help balance out the length of season 2.. I would be fine with that

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:11 pm 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games: III - V GOTY, Online
Platform: PS4, Steam
UESPoints: 5
-rewatching AoT season 1-

Ahh, Hange-san, forgive me for forgetting how adorable you are! :heart:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

I love how Hange is simultaneously a nice, quirky, eccentric, Titan-obsessed scientist with adorable scenes like this:
Hidden:

YouTube Link

"Just let me touch it!"
"Eren that was too fast!"

Oh, god.

And will talk with enthusiasm about their plans to vivisect the Female Titan to her face. Hange's great and probably the creepiest character in the show and someone you'd never want to be on the bad side of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:40 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Mate.. Watching that Hunter X Hunter Chimera Ant Arc.. Just.. Where did all that happiness gone. Oh? That's right. Pitou killed it
:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
I haven't watched HxH in forever, but this theme song always makes me really happy.

Hidden:

YOU CAN SMIIIIILE AGAIIIIIIIIN

YOU CAN FLYYYYYY AWAYYYYYY

On company time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

WHAT!?!?:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

*Me after watching a good Shojo*

Lovin it

Still lovin it

Gotta love this

*Show ends*

Guilt for lovin this... But I still love it

*He says after finishing My Little Monster*

I am just the worst <3

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

Finally started NGE, I'm 6 episodes in and liking it so far. Somehow, I don't know how, but just like with Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist I've managed to avoid basically all spoilers for it. All I know is that the ending gets kind of off the rails in Metal Gear Solid 2-esque fashion, and I love Metal Gear so that should be interesting. But it has me thinking about episode previews after the ending of an anime, cause it happens with most of them. It is kind of annoying how I generally want to watch the ED but at the same time, I don't want to see that preview. I understand why it exists from a commercial standpoint and all but it does suck how an episode ends with "Oh no, is Shinji going to be okay?" credits and then "Tune in next time when Shinji is fine and the Angel is defeated." The only western show I can think of off the top of my head that does previews like that is Doctor Who, but Doctor Who is typically pretty episodic.

Also not an anime but the four episode Castlevania series on Netflix is pretty good. I mean, it's basically just the set up to proper a series rather than an actual series in and of itself, it's just four 25 minute episodes. It's getting a second series but still I imagine just waiting until Season 2 comes out (next year probably) and watching Season 1 then would be fine. Better probably.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 2
Since my girlfriend hasn't really seen anime before, the three of us have been binging on old favorites to introduce her to stuff. I've gotten her to watch half of Fruits Baskets, all of FullMetal Alchemist (and we bought Brotherhood, but haven't gotten to it yet), the first two seasons of Inuyasha (which I believe is all that's on Netflix right now... or was it 3?), Rurouni Kenshin, and my brother got her to watch Sword Art Online (which I was not impressed with.)

Plus at the last 3 cons we went to, I kept pointing out all the character cosplays that are from my favorites (which also made me squee), and showed her in the vendor hall a bunch of anime that I want to hook her on. Not in our budget to buy things, but I still want to introduce her to YuYu Hakusho (my alltime fave), Cowboy Bebop (cause it's classic), Outlaw Star (because we three love Firefly, and these are so similar...), and... well, any of the Miyazaki movies. I'm not sure which to start her on there, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Anybody here seen or heard about Gungrave? Or Bundo Stray Dogs?

Edit: Holy [&@%!] Michiko & Hatchin is on crunchy roll! Ya ya, it's not the Dub but still, [&@%!] yes<3

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

I finished Evengelion and I loved it. Show was great but thank god End of Evangelion exists because EP 25 & 26 are not much of a conclusion. I know the studio was facing budget and time constraints but, yeah. Fortunately End of Evangelion is really good, makes sense and actually follows up on what had been established in the series both narratively & thematically and provides a conclusion.

Might watch Re:Zero soon because I've heard good things about it and people I know keep posting gifs of that one cute cat boy from it and I'd like to understand the context. I also know I need to watch Sailor Moon eventually because I never have.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

NGE: It has it's ups and downs, but honestly.. Alot of it is just a cycle of [&@%!]. The End certainly does justice to what the show ended on, but, like, damn... Some of the moments are just brutal
Spoiler:
RIP, Asuka. So much RIP
Still tho, the rebuild series really ups the quality and dramatics. And with the original series as a context, it really fills the blanks that the movies leave given it's faster pace

Still tho, shame it couldn't show all the angels or encounters, but it makes sense why
--------
Aaaaaaaw [&@%!], Re:Zero. Get ready to have a lovely time :D Also, Rem, best girl, I'll cut anybody who says different. Seriously. Rem. Best girl. Period.
:
Fight me
But ya, seriously, that show has to be one of my favorites, especially bc it's one of the few that understands how to make a time-loops interesting and dark(Steins:Gate excluded). Plus, with how mellow it is on an overarching plot/goal and how character driven it is, it really can afford to give some moments or characters the spotlight they need. It also sports probably one of my favorite character developement episodes in anime, so much so that even the studio cut out the OP and ED then slapped on an extra 40 seconds bc dammit it was just that important.
Spoiler:
Hands down, episodes 11 & 18 are just the best. One to finish off a season/arc with absolute splendor. Another, just 100% awesome that we didn't know we needed.. Especially after such a harsh rollercoaster of feels and hurts
Plus, no joke, gotta love season 1& 2's OPs, though season 1s ED is nothing to scoff at.
As per the catboy Felix. Ya, he's pretty cool. But wait till you see my boy B. Can you be as grossly incandescent diligent as he?

Edit: Now you can fully appreciate this
BetaB17 wrote:
Warning: [&@%!] Language
:

It's sad bc Kerr wont get the full beauty of this reference yet

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Guys, I have an actual friend who likes BL! It's so very wonderful. There we were on our canoe trip, sitting looking out over the rapids by our campsite, when I casually mention my liking the Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi OP 1 (we were discussing favourite anime themes). And she jumps. Actually jumps, and looks over at me with a smile before whispering, "I love BL". Oh goodness, what a beautiful moment. We spent the entire evening talking (quietly) about various BL we've watched/read. And then on our day off, we started a new series together - Hitorijime My Hero. We only saw the first episode, but it looks to be super cute.

I also met another girl who really loves anime, so yay! Ahhh, I'm so happy.

I've had a lot of people telling me that I need to watch Tokyo Ghoul, so that will probably be happening soon. I've also been craving some Samurai Champloo as of late, not sure why.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:07 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Quote:
Guys, I have an actual friend who likes BL!
What :wat: And I don't count?

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

a) By "actual", I mean a friend in real life. Online friends are wonderful, but every once and awhile you need someone who you can run squealing to about the super cute manga you just read. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "actual"... that makes it seem like you aren't really my friend, which isn't the case.

b) Do you really, truly, like BL? What have you watched/read?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

BetaB17 wrote:
Quote:
Guys, I have an actual friend who likes BL!
What :wat: And I don't count?
B) Let me answer myself by saying no I don't count(i.e Beta ≠ BL)

A) I totally get it. One of my co-workers is a major anime/shojo fan so whenever a new episode of (AoT, Hero Academia, ect) or something I recommended him to watch/finish (Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate) and so whenever we run into each others in the Nursing Office, we have a legit gushing moment over the good stuff

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

AHH, MY FRIENDS. HITORIJIME MY HERO IS SO CUTE SO CUTE SO CUTE. I DON'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME AN ANIME MADE ME SMILE THIS MUCH.
:

Tokyo Ghoul is also really good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

^I was expecting a Hitorijime related gif. Instead I got something different. Confusion, achieved

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ah, there are no Hitorijime gifs that properly convey how delighted I am.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Toradora tho... <3

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Toradora also delights me, indeed. So wonderfully cute. So much drama. Such a good story. Such a perfect ending. Fun fact: I had a friend who watched the show, but didn't watch past the ending credits of the last episode. So after she finished, I was going on and on about how much I liked the ending, and she just kind of said,
Spoiler:
"What? They didn't end up together. She left, remember?".
Dear me, Abby. This is why you should always watch the OPs and EDs. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

That show is just too precious for me to handle. Too precious
:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 27  Next