UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime General Thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
mrw Beta does anything:

Hidden:

Also, since I'm posting this here because I can't double-post in GD and don't want to be offtopic:

Has anyone here watched Little With Academia, and if so is it good?

On company time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
Mars: Mars your so cruel. Judging me and all.
:
Of course I use my brain :3

Also, no, I have only seen the OVAs, right now I'm a tad busy catching up on Grimgar Fantasy and Ash. It's like a fantasy RPG light novel where death has meaning 'catches breath' that's actually good. Which isn't saying much in the genre when the bar of standards is set so low(Suck it SAO!). But I am finding the art and writing a welcoming experience within this spectrum

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:53 am 
Modern Major General
Modern Major General

ES Games: Oblivn Goy, Morrwnd, Skrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: The_Nanza
UESPoints: 8
Little Witch Academia is great, I tell you hwat. Funny, gorgeously animated, and very charming.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Oh, speaking of live-action movies, Fullmetal Alchemist comes out in December!
And look who's playing Ed:
Even if they get everything else wrong, at least Ed will be sufficiently attractive.

Anyway, I've been watching some anime. This post is actually kind of long so I'm gonna put in some hide tags.
Psycho Pass 2:
First of all, allow me to complain about Psycho Pass 2. I've been waiting for weeks.
Spoiler:
Can someone tell me if there was some deeply philosophical reason as to why I didn't care about any of the characters? The closest I came to feeling for any of them was the sense of deep annoyance towards Inspector Shimotsuki that grew every episode. And as for the story, it was kind of interesting, but it didn't ever go anywhere. Nothing really happened that entire time. Maybe it's because I was expecting so much after the first series, but overall I was super disappointed.

I also saw Kokoro Connect, which wasn't fantastic, but had its moments. Entertaining, but overall kind of forgettable. I blame it on the fact that the plot was pretty much non-existent. Like, they introduced the premise in the first episode, and never got any further. Except for that weird thing in the last few episodes, that was never even explained. I can't help but feel that the manga would be better.

Anohana:
A much better shojo that I watched was Anohana. There were many feels in this show. Before watching, I had heard people talk about how they "cried every episode". I teared up at the end of episode one, then didn't cry again. Until the last episode, that is. I was watching it, lamenting my dry eyes and hard heart, when in the last 5 minutes the feels hit like a brick. It was 12:30 at night and I was alone in my dark bedroom bawling my eyes out. I admit, overtiredness may have contributed a bit to the sheer number of tears, but it was very feelsy. And that theme song... so good. It led me to discover the beautifulness of Galileo Galilei.

Samurai Champloo:
Another fantastic anime was Samurai Champloo. I adore this show to pieces. I found it as I was looking through the S section of Crunchyroll, checking for various anime on my list. Something about it caught my eye (it turns out that it was recommended to me on this thread quite a while ago. Silly younger me, not knowing a good recommendation when she saw it). There were just two things I didn't like. 1) It seemed so short. That might be partly because I binged it like crazy over the March break, but still. I wanted more episodes. 2) The Fuu x Jin ship was real. It was sitting in the harbour ready to sail and then it was shot down. I take back what I said earlier about not normally shipping. This was to beautifully perfect to pass up. Unfortunately, the creators of the show didn't feel the same way... Oh, one more thing. I don't think that any anime has made me laugh as much as I did at those Americans in the baseball episode. Their voices - oh my goodness, hilarious.

No. 6:
A much, much worse anime that I watched was No. 6. I blame it partly on the fact that it was recommended to me as a romance anime. This resulted in my being very disappointed in the ending. Baloth can attest to my anger at the end the series.
Spoiler:
When I hear that something is a romance anime, I don't expect the people in the relationship to just walk away from each other at the end without saying anything.
I mean, this anime started out well. Post-apocalyptic world, good characters, an intriguing, if not entirely original, plot, and the beginnings of a cute relationship to boot. Then, at around episode 8, things started to go downhill.
Spoiler:
I mean, really? A magic tree that has life-giving powers? A magical forest man who can sing special songs? I thought that this was a post-apocalyptic story. And then you're going to use that magic to bring the main character back to life, only to have his friends leave him once they knew he was okay? He died for Nezumi, and they don't even stay together? (You can tell that I really wanted their relationship to be a thing)
And then there was a bunch of stuff that was introduced, and never really followed through with. Altogether, probably my least favourite anime that I watched.

Toradora:
And last but not least, I did get around to watching Toradora! I have to say, it's up there with Fruits Basket as one of my top romcoms. Much like Samurai Champloo, I wished that there could have been more episodes. But again, I think that's partly just because this show is so very binge-worthy. It's the kind of show where you want to watch it all in one go, because it's so good, but at the same time, you want to watch it slowly and savour it, because it's so good. And that ending... oh my goodness, that ending. So. Freaking. Adorable. I can't even deal. It got rid of any last traces of "but Ryuji and Minorin could have been so good together".

And that op 1 is my jam.

YouTube Link

I just started Gankutsuou (so pretty) and the Devil is a Part-Timer (pretty good). I also just got the Ghost in the Shell movie, as well as a movie called Akira, in my Easter basket. So I'm excited to watch those.

So come on, people! I've had hardly anyone to talk about anime with for the last 40 days. Reply so that I may squee/sigh/cry/rage with you as is appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Quote:
as well as a movie called Akira
'Reacts appropriately'

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You can't just leave me with that. Is it bad?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:11 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

I can and I will :P But no, Akira is good. Just don't watch it under any mind altering substances or in the dead of night.. Ya just.. Just don't.

Actually scratch that, do 'do both' and tell me how it was(This message has been brought to you by evil-Beta and does not reflect general approval for poor choices. Please disregard all advice given)

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'll keep that in mind. It makes me quite intrigued as to what the movie is like, though. Sounds like fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

It's action oriented, somewhat philosophical, beautiful balance on lighting and color.. So just like GiTS.. Minus the nightmare inducing depictions

Huh, alot of significant Anime films to the west seem to share in that pattern. Odd

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

You don't say. I look forward to watching them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

You should look forward to ever recommendation I give
:
(Btw, that Toradora ending tho)

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I've learned.

And which one do you mean? 1 was so catchy, but 2 had all the feels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:51 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

I'm talking about the end of the season.. Baka

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh dear me, I'm an idiot.

Yes, yes, the ending.
Spoiler:
Unlike others, I never thought that Ryuji x Ami was meant to be. I must say, though, as I was nearing the end, there was a part of me that wanted Ryuji x Minorin to be a thing. But no, Taiga was the right choice. Talk about drama, though. There was the whole thing with them going to elope. I was not expecting anything so serious in the least. But then they went to the grandparents' house, and the family reconciled, and it was beautiful. And that scene... with the two of them in the bedroom... the cuteness... oh, the cuteness.

And I was so happy that they had Taiga go back to reconcile with her family, too. It made a good ending great. And then that scene... with Taiga in the locker... and Ryuji says "guess what"... the cuteness... oh, the cuteness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Btw, I was a bit surprised you went and watched Champloo right off the bat. I feel ya tho and that much needed season 2.. What with that cliff hanger ending.. But it was bitter sweet tho, right?

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Beta wrote:
Fourth rule, Levi 4 days(Best girl 2014-Always)

But Levi x Hange are my main OTP which means they're both gonna get killed. This isn't fair, they're fantastic together.
Hidden:

Pyscho Pass 2:
Spoiler:
From what I understand it was made under a lot of creative constraints, it was being made at the same time as The Movie so they couldn't change the characters in the same way season one did but still, season two is rather weak. A big problem for me is it never resolves the central conflict of The Omnipotence Paradox, the nature of hive minds or Sibyl judging itself in any way. A hive mind is by it's nature a collective, it isn't one individual, that was the entire point of what the antagonist was doing, to make Sibyl judge a hive mind i.e itself. But apparently Sibyl can just destroy 30% of the brains which make it up (for some reason, I don't know why, it's not like Sibyl cares about what Inspectors think) can tell which of those brains need to be destroyed despite how it conflicts with how the brains were chosen in season one and all this causes it to not change in anyway at all. It doesn't become less efficient, it doesn't become more efficient, the mannerisms don't change, it doesn't become less or more open or kind toward. There's no pay off to anything, at all. Sibyl does what the antagonist wants and everything remains exactly the same. I mean maybe it influences Sibyl's actions in The Movie but it never comes across like that.

Psycho Pass: The Movie is a lot better though.

Whenever I rewatch the show I don't know if I'm going to bother rewatching the second series.

No. 6:
Spoiler:
Yeah, the show has an interesting set up and the two main characters are neat but it really goes downhill and ends up being pretty bad. It isn't awful but, yeah. Which is a shame because with the set up and male/male romance I wanted to like it but well... Although I didn't really have a problem with them not ending up together at the end. Honestly I was just glad neither of them died because same-sex couples always die.

If you want to watch a much better show about a seemingly nice but secretly evil city in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world I'd recommend Ergo Proxy because it's actually good. And the Dub for it is great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Quote:
But Levi x Hange are my main OTP
They're both so socially damaged, it's perfect<3 But hey, at least Levi will never be half the man Marco is :roll:

Btw, have you been watching season 2?

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

Aye, glad the show continues to have strong OPs. Also this may be the first anime that I've watched on a week to week basis. Never had satellite TV so couldn't watch it anime on television and typically I'd just wait until a series is done before gorging the whole thing. Now I have to wait a week between each episode like everyone else, it's terrible. But the show's really good so...

Spoilers for up to Episode 3 of Season 2 of Attack on Titan:
Spoiler:
Mike's death was pretty brutal, although as soon as he went off to fight 8 Titans by himself everyone himself included kinda knew he was screwed.

Fun times with Hange, Levi & Pastor Nick. It's cool that again the group have an actual plan to work toward, find a recruit and try to use Eren to patch up the walls. It'll probably be 2020 by the time we actually see what's inside that basement though. But this also ties into Hange's OVA where a Titan referred to a humans as one of Ymir's people.

Connie's hometown all turned into Titans, that sucks. But hopefully this does mean that everyone else comes to the obvious conclusion that all titans used to be human, not just the intelligent ones. Because that explanation for their origin makes the most sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

I gotta admit tho, season 2's ED is pretty good too. Or maybe I'm a sick fellow who likes mildly creepy ambient songs(Whatever you do, don't get out the Listening Thread, don't)
Warning: Mildly Graphic Depictions, duh:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bay-tahB7teen wrote:
Btw, I was a bit surprised you went and watched Champloo right off the bat. I feel ya tho and that much needed season 2.. What with that cliff hanger ending.. But it was bitter sweet tho, right?
I must admit, break-dancing samurai isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of anime that I'd love, so I was a little surprised myself. But I was at that weird in-between time when I'd just finished a really feelsy anime that I loved, and was looking for something to take its place. So I tried a shojo or two, and came to the conclusion that I didn't actually want something to take its place, I wanted something different. And hey, Samurai Champloo is nothing if not different. As soon as I got through the first episode I knew that it would become a favourite.
Spoiler:
The ending was very bittersweet, yes. There was a large part of me that was relieved that everyone didn't end up dying in the end (Mugen and Jin's futures were looking a little bleak, there), so I was quite happy by the time the end rolled around and everyone was okay. Fuu's reconciliation with her father was a tad anticlimactic, but I wasn't looking for something very dramatic, so I was content with that, too. Still... I mean it when I say that Jin and Fuu belonged together. In my mind they end up meeting up again a few years later and get married. Ah, a girl can dream.

I plan to watch the Psycho Pass movie at some point. My struggle is just that I have a really hard time watching movies alone. I honestly don't know why - I can sit down and binge 12 episodes of an anime at once, alone, but there's something about sitting down to watch a movie alone that I find hard. And yeah, I doubt I'm ever going to watch the second series again.

I'll be sure to check out Ergo Proxy, too.

Edit: I emailed Vic Mignogna and he emailed me back. My life is complete. He likes FMA better than FMA:B because FMA was his "first love", in case any of you were wondering.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

Ensign Cassandra wrote:
Edit: I emailed Vic Mignogna and he emailed me back. My life is complete. He likes FMA better than FMA:B because FMA was his "first love", in case any of you were wondering.

Cool, it's awesome getting to interact with someone who was part of making something you really love like that.

I've already crossed Sawyer and Cain off my list, you're the only one left Avellone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

I still got mixed emotions between the two adaptations and their endings.. On the one side, poor pacing but a novel finality. On the other, excellent buildup but a lil bit too predictable

Gotta love that film tho

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Two of my biggest regrets are that 1) I didn't watch FMA first, and 2) I didn't get around to watching it before they took it off Netflix. I mean, I really need to see this show. And where is it? Not on Netflix. Not on Crunchyroll. Not anywhere convenient. I'd buy it on disc, but if I get one of them I want to get the other one as well, and that's a lot of money. My hope is that someday I'll come across someone who has access to it, and they'll share with me. Or, you know, I'll grow impatient and just spend all my money on the collector's editions for both of them, and the body pillow to boot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Funimation holds the Dub rights, but it's not a free service

Depending on region, Hulu or other streaming services may be valid options, if not typically free

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

My internet's too bad for Funimation. And for a heck of a lot of other things, too. Hulu's not available, anyway. 'Tis my struggle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next