UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827 ... 978  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:58 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
Lime???? Who the [&@%!] wants lime Jelly??????

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
BetaB17 wrote:
Lime???? Who the [&@%!] wants lime Jelly??????

Exactly.

I kid.
There's nothing wrong with lime. It's not everyone's first choice to eat but that's not my reasoning.
I picked lime for you because although it may seem a bit sour at first (see above quote), after a while you realise that that you like the sourness- it's a bit of fun, and then the sweetness of the jelly is more apparent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Aarah. Marry me

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Platform: PC
Aarah wrote:
You're lucky you have two people to nerd out about 80s/90s movies with. People who want to talk in-depth on the intricacies of certain films can be hard to come by.

Really? That's not so much the case in my corner of the world. I suppose it depends on where you go (in my city) and I do pick and choose who/where to hang out with.

Aarah wrote:
You'd need quite a few people to re-enact that scene...and quite a few trucks.

I know enough people and they all drive (everyone drives in the US) but I'm not sure they will agree to damage their vehicles for me. Maybe one day, a boy can dream.

Aarah wrote:
What do you like about it so much? Just the teamwork of it all, cruising down the highway in equidistantly placed vehicles, chasing down a tornado, and all the while dramatic adventure/action music plays, featuring an electric guitar for added 90s-ness?

You want my dissertation? Joking aside good question I haven't thought of it. I suppose a good deal of my obsession with it is because it's one of those movies that connects with my childhood. Maybe sounds silly but I ask myself what particular things do I like about the movie and what pops up is driving really fast off road as all hell breaks loose around you (aka crazy weather). Also the archaic 90s technology, loved that as a kid. And also I like the idea of a ready to handle it all kind of personality. I suppose that goes back to the Batman belt thing?

Honestly I'm not sure? This would be a fun discussion and would take like 7hrs to find a conclusion.

Aarah wrote:
Would you be playing Bill Paxton in your re-enactment?

[&@%!]

EDIT: Oh and forgot! Regarding 'added guitar for extra 90sness' that's van halens Humans Being. I text my friends whenever I fix my car (or buy a new one but been a while) a pic of me standing in front of the vehicle, arms raised in victory and that song in the background.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

leroybrown wrote:
Really? That's not so much the case in my corner of the world. I suppose it depends on where you go (in my city) and I do pick and choose who/where to hang out with.

Yeah, the people/surroundings makes a difference. My non-sciency friends are not particularly interested in my analyses of the complexities of time travel (aka, Back to the Future and other TT movies).

Quote:
I know enough people and they all drive (everyone drives in the US) but I'm not sure they will agree to damage their vehicles for me. Maybe one day, a boy can dream.

Do they drive appropriate vehicles though? The scene would kind of lose its edge if your convoy consisted of a Fiesta, Prius, Smart Car, and a Beetle.

Aarah wrote:
Would you be playing Bill Paxton in your re-enactment?

Quote:
[&@%!]

If you had a spot for a non-famous cameo, I'd be up for playing Cary Elwes.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh and forgot! Regarding 'added guitar for extra 90sness' that's van halens Humans Being. I text my friends whenever I fix my car (or buy a new one but been a while) a pic of me standing in front of the vehicle, arms raised in victory and that song in the background.

I like the fact you have a song in the background of a picture. That sounds like a collection of photos that you could frame and have a timeline of fixed up cars spanning 30 years.

Did you ever find a decent car to buy to fix up when you were looking last year (same for your dog hunt)?

Edit: I'm just thinking...if you are Paxton, you won't get to drive...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:48 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Jelly!? OH hell no! You did not just call me that! I will slap you with an oversized fish then bury you in fish and then sound the seagull alarm thus causing a painful death via seagulls. If anything, I am a strawberry cheesecake and i am legally obliged to inform anyone that is brave enough to venture down the pit of my madness that neither UESP or me or any versions of me or me in a hat or alternative universe me or any version of me is responsible for any madness inccured. In fact, it is that filthy Malacath's fault! Blame him! Blame the orcs! Rise up against the big dumb orcs that do orc stuff and orc around all day! Burn them all! BURN.THEM.ALL.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:15 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
I'm super amped at the moment on a combination of coffee and vyvanse and I'm here to tell you guys about stuff.

I wanna talk about some classic D&D lore because I am a hopeless sucker for lore and general all-around loser, so in the comments below I'm gonna tell you dudes about Her Serenity, she who brokers no worship, no challenges, and no favors, long may she rule the City of Doors and all those who exist within, the truest expression of balance throughout the multiverse, etc, etc, THE LADY OF PAIN!

Easily my favorite character in the D&D multiverse by far, such an awesome concept that I could gush about for days. More people should try Planescape, or incorporate elements of Plane-hopping in their D&D campaign stories.

(Incoming Walls of Text behind hide tags)

Spoiler:

Hidden:
he Lady of Pain is the de-facto, unquestioned ruler of the interplanar city of Sigil, a donut-shaped city atop an infinitely tall spire in the very center of the multiverse. Sigil is known as the City of Doors, for it contains an innumerable amount of portals to every plane imaginable. One wrong step and you could end on Baator, or worse!

Appearing as a monolithic, unmoving, unfeeling, and unchanging woman adorned in flowing robes and with a face wreathed with blades, the Lady of Pain silently watches over the City of Doors and rules it with an iron fist. She never speaks, instead communicating through her servants, the dabus, whom also maintain the city through general maintenance. She is said to have power over every single portal in Sigil.

Perhaps less or somehow more than a deity, the Lady of Pain is an insurmountable force that has stood as long as Sigil has. Perhaps she is but a prisoner of the city, forever cursed to watch over her own cell; maybe she is a fallen demon lord who is quite fond of her new home; perhaps she is simply six squirrels standing on top of each other and floating about using a ring of levitation. Whatever the truth may be, it is likely incomprehensible to mere mortals and thus is rarely brought into question. All that the city's residents need to know is that she is not to be crossed, questioned, or worshiped.

The Lady of Pain possesses cosmic power, and her displayed abilities truly suit her title. With but a mere thought she can lacerate anyone within her sight; anyone that stands in her shadow will suddenly sprout wounds and will die in mere seconds. Crossing her path is nothing short of a death sentence. Those who attempt to worship her meet especially gruesome fates, and are known to suddenly be reduced to puddles of blood and sinew.

However, the most horrid punishment that can be inflicted by Her Serenity is her ability to maze her victims, a spell often reserved for the most grave offenses that threaten the stability of the city itself. This is different from the standard maze spell that can be cast by a wizard of power, trapping the victim in an escapable maze that can be solved in an hour or two; the Lady's mazes vary from prisons designed to last for hours, to inescapable, unsolvable labyrinths that entrap the offender for nothing short of eternity, slowly driving them to a mental state worse even than insanity.

It is said that gods have fallen to the Lady of Pain, and that she is perhaps the most unchanging presence in the multiverse. When the Blood War reaches its end, when the planes lose their magic and collapse, when the D&D equivalent of the heat death of the universe arrives, there is no doubt that Her Serenity shall remain, floating in utter silence as she observes the ever-standing, ever-present City of Doors.

Lots of people have made homebrew stats for the Lady, which while cool, is ultimately futile, as to properly implement the Lady of Pain is to basically roll a D1 and say "the Lady of Pain eviscerates you with a thought, and in the span of a millisecond you feel the equivalent of ten million eternities of unfathomable agony".

My personal favorite statsheet is this one, though, because it outlines the sheer absurdity of her maze ability.

Spoiler:

The Lady of Pain was first introduced in 1994 with the release of the Planescape Campaign setting, written by David "Zeb" Cook. Some folks might recognize her as the symbol for the 1999 CRPG Epic, Planescape: Torment, in which she features prominently.

Alrighty, that's my gushing about lesser-known D&D lore. You guys go back to your GD, I'm gonna ride out this hyperactivity by, like, running a marathon or something.

<3

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 pm 

You DARE to outcrazy me! Oh wait, no, no you don't. Just DND stuff. Thought it would finally happen and we would have a crazy contest. Which, i would win as there is nothing i ain't willing to sink to in the name of Insanity. INSANITY!

Or I have nothing to say as Dnd is not something i am familiar with despite my unholy love for Dragons. Dragons are cool. And a Unionhack on coffee compares nothing to a Sheodovah going at full power. Yes, I hold back nowadays, UESPF.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:45 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

@Union: Looks like someone here has been doing up on some pure and real lore. [&@%!] really gets that heart pumping, huh :wink: *Snorts down some LoTR* Ya!!! LETS DO THIS!!!

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:47 pm 
Champion
Champion

Dude, don't even get me started on Sigil itself, or the factions within. There's so much potential for great storylines there.

Speaking of which, y'all should pick up Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. 15% off for the Summer Sale I think.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:09 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Unionhack wrote:
Speaking of which, y'all should pick up Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. 15% off for the Summer Sale I think.
:):

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:11 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
@Unionhack: If I ever ran D&D it would have to be Planescape and that's not just because of my distaste for Forgotten Realms. The planes are such an interesting aspect of the D&D multiverse that I'd want to take advantage of them. Also if that was the sort of fantasy (it's the late middle ages forever!) I wanted to run I wouldn't use Forgotten Realms, I'd make something myself or use a setting I like more.

Although I suppose I could run something in Forgotten Realms... then have the mists of Ravenloft descend in the first 5 minutes.

---

But... but... Chris Avellone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
Champion
Champion

You take that back, Forgotten Realms is great. And it's not really Late Middle Ages, I don't think. More like post-enlightenment or something. Plus, the existence of magic tends to stifle invention sometimes in settings, which I can be a fan of. Not every setting needs to have a "200 years later" supplement that is basically "steampunk & guns mode". I was super afraid they were gonna do that with Skyrim when it was first announced.

I do love my Planescape though <3 My main D&D character is a 'member' of Sigil's Free League. Plane-hopping just allows for so much creative freedom!

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:24 pm 

Todd Howard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:29 pm 
Champion
Champion

Hurr hurr Todd Howard jokes xD lol so randum

Like, c'mon dude.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:33 pm 

Matt Damon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:34 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

I take back nothing! I like things set in the realms, Mask of the Betrayer using The Wall of the Faithless to explore "The Problem of Hell" was great in taking advantage of the setting's lore to explore philosophy, but honestly I don't like the realms that much. Ed Greenwood seems like a really swell guy though. Also I never read Drizzt books, you did, you care about the realms more than I do. I didn't get introduced to Forgotten Realms until I was like 16/17.

Don't get me wrong, I'd jump at being able to play D&D, I don't care if it's in the realms, GM & players matter more than system and setting. If I ever did get into a D&D game, Bleaker Aasimar Sorcerer would be what I'd want to play. Charisma as my combat skill for magic? Yes please.

(Oh god, TSD is a Xaositect, everything makes sense now.)
--

Oh my hot D&D take, Aasimar are better than Tieflings.

Last edited by Kerr on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:37 pm 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games: III - V GOTY, Online
Platform: PS4, Steam
UESPoints: 5
Shakespeare said brevity is the soul of wit. Wit. Wit. Witwitwit.

Perhaps, at times, brevity is the soul of twit!

--Man, today is gloomy. Light drizzle, very cloudy. The coolness is refreshing, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:39 pm 

Can't tell if that's a good thing or not.

I may just nuke the entire forum just to be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:47 pm 
Champion
Champion

I've been a Forgotten Realms fan since I was like... 7, I think? I first played Baldur's Gate in the early 2000's, so that sounds about right.

Tieflings > Aasimar though. Specifically, pre-4th edition tieflings. Among the many things that 4th edition D&D got completely, utterly wrong, I think the standardization of tieflings was chief among the insults that cursed game laid upon the legacy of its forerunners.

Tieflings are best when they are super varied; they could have any sort of mutations and variances based on their forebears. Forked tongues, cloven feet, smell slightly of sulfur, bow-legs, what have you. My favorite character of mine is a tiefling bard whose fiendish predecessor was a succubus, and thus he has mostly appealing physical traits as befitting his grand-mammy. Sleek horns, bioluminescent hair, heterochromia, etc etc. Gets a permanent disadvantage on disguise checks, but worth it for that lovely +2 CHA.

But no, 4th Ed. Tieflings suck. "ALL OF THEM ARE RED AND HAVE FLESH HORNS AND ARE DEMON DUDES ALSO DID WE MENTION THAT THEY'RE ALL RED". As if they can only spawn from one sort of demon.

Like, no. There's no creativity involved at all in that. Every time I do anything remotely D&D related I ensure that tieflings are represented in their proper, 3.5 era depiction. To do any less is to make the setting a little less interesting.

TheSheoDovah wrote:
Matt Damon.

There are so many ways I can respond to this. Like... do you really, honestly, find absurdity and slipping in some sort of reference into every single sentence you type to be the pinnacle of comedy? I don't understand it. It reads like to 50 year old marketing team guy trying to sound hip and cool with the kids.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

I'd like to run Iron Age fantasy someday, so classical antiquity. Things like the Romans, Greek City states, The Celts, The Persians. Probably play into Celtic mythology a lot. Maybe have something similar to Britain where you have Celts and Romans so you get tension and fun exploration. I actually got my hands on a 2nd Edition "The Celts" supplement for D&D recently, should be cool whenever I read it.

Damn it Unionhack, you have me eyeing Pathfinder on Amazon, I hope you're happy. I know I'd either want to get Pathfinder or 5th Edition, not sure which is better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:03 pm 

*whispers* Get both Kerr. Get them both.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Does anyone know where my mother has gone? I haven't seen her around as of late. It makes me sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You mean goatmom or your own mother?
Either way, I'm not sure.
Hopefully she's doing something nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:29 pm 
Tea Party Mod
Tea Party Mod

ES Games: III - V GOTY, Online
Platform: PS4, Steam
UESPoints: 5
Cassandra wrote:
Does anyone know where my mother has gone? I haven't seen her around as of late. It makes me sad.

I'm uncertain as to whether you're asking after MARS, or taking the most roundabout way of filing a missing persons report.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 821, 822, 823, 824, 825, 826, 827 ... 978  Next