UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781 ... 978  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Discussion
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:18 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
Did it at least give you a better understanding of the complexities of the maths?

How did the exam end up going?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Other Profiles: discord: @inr#2535
UESPoints: 10
On the bright side I probably do have a better grasp of the material; helps when it comes to the more difficult questions.

This exam also isn't until tomorrow. The one last week which I mentioned here (in the your news thread) went well, should hopefully get a good grade. The one I didn't mention which was on Wednesday didn't go as well - the questions I studied were all asked in super tough ways this year - but I still think I'll get a good grade out of it (I was going in with strong results from essays).

So you guys know when I start ranting about econometric methods (Thursday) and car parking fines (Saturday) I have another two exams after the one tomorrow. But on the brightside to that, I have a day off between all of them so that's sweet.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You have an exam on car parking fines?
I also don't think I've ever had an exam at the weekend, how wicked. (But like you say, that's good that you have a day between each of them).
So Saturday is your last one and then you're free?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:34 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The only hint we have about that exam is that it is essential to understand how car parking fines are designed (and understanding how car parking economies operate more broadly).

I don't mind the Saturday exam. Better than having them all squashed into a few days like a friend of mine (4 law exams in 4 days). But then after that, I'm free. Free at least until I (probably) start working full time the following Monday.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Indeed, and better than having two in one day.

Do I recall you mentioning that the full time work is an internship at a law firm?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thankfully I've never had one of those since I started college. Though before this semester I typically only had about 3 exams maximum.

Double thankfully I'm not interning at a law firm. Those places are basically meat-grinders for anyone who isn't upper-middle management. I'm actually going to be interning at a mutual fund: same one as last year, I liked it there and when they reached on to have me back I was really happy.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:46 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Regarding my day, the same. The usual routine of searching for jobs, finding little, rarely getting replies and rarely getting interviews(phone or face to face) thus fueling my general state as weary of my life along with the fact that i'm 24 and yet to have a single proper job that is permanent. Oh and fuels the belief that I wasted my time on a [&@%!] apprenticeship as it's almost 2 years later.

But on the topic of internships. I think i heard rumours of them being potentially banned if they are unpaid and I would support that ban. I'm a major advocate of volunteering(I am currently volunteering in retail and did admin voluntary work. I quit because well, it wasn't that much and there were months were I was bordering on the edge of being [&@%!] due to the cost of travel and expenses being delayed) but unpaid internships are very easy to exploit. It can screw over people. E.g. Dodgy firm replaces them every 6 months. Admittly, I am biased due to current circumstances but if one is doing a full time job, they should be paid. Apprenticeships are being exploited. Subway has Apprenticeships. Subway. As in, sandwiches? It's [&@%!] sandwiches! "Apprentice Subway Artist." Why? Why is that an apprenticeship? Surely, it takes no more then a week at most to learn everything? The reason why? It's cheaper and very easy to exploit. Same with retail. Annoyingly, I've learnt a few useful skills during the past few weeks. Skills that my bloody apprenticeship did not even offer me.

Wow, kinda went on a bit of a tangent/rant there.

Oh and [&@%!] temporary work. 3 times i've done it. the same thing always occured. Me being let go after a week or the [&@%!] thing lasts after 3 days thus [&@%!] me over big time and as a result, puts me under a lot of stress and is a massive punch because it means going back on the [&@%!] dole and feel mostly worthless! AARGH!

Yeah, I'm mostly bitter. I shall shut up before this turns into a 3 page post.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:51 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
Not trying to be a stick in the mud, I am legitimately sorry you've been having such trouble, but we have a 'how was your day' thread for a reason, dawg.

@Velvet: So, correct me if I'm wrong, but once you're done with all of this, you're done right? Law degree and everything? And on that note, do you have to take a bar exam in your country?

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:56 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bar exam? Sir, give me a shot of scotch and some brandy please. Lol lol lol lol I'm so funny :dur:

(Don't sue me Velv. Pls, seriously. I'll probably lose against you law savviness)

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

@Union: Once I'm done with this, I'm done, yep.

Though to be a practising lawyer* I would need to sit the national bar - which does exist, to answer your question - which would be an added year.

---

*Here the legal professional is split into barristers (legal advocates) and solicitors (glorified legal secretaries who can advocate in the lower courts) and there's a separate exam for each. For a bit of background, the division is archaic and really only exists through to the current day as a means of keeping poor people our of barrister jobs (which are more prestigious and pay more mid-career), if you ask me.

BetaB17 wrote:
(Don't sue me Velv. Pls, seriously. I'll probably lose against you law savviness)

Probably? Probably?! You intend to provoke me, sir?

---

Even though I know this is a bad idea, I'll mention that I'm in full support of people being able to take unpaid internships even though - because I have to, y'know, pay for things - I'll never take one up and they only serve to crowd me out of jobs I might want.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm 

My Client, Beta has no comment. *whispers* Don't worry, Beta. What velvet doesn't know is that I have some rather incriminating evidence on him and failing that, let's say that I can arrange for some top men to take care of him.

I will admit, I am heavily biased against internships being unpaid as to me, it comes off as a lighter/more exploitive version of Apprenticeships and apprenticeships(as i mentioned in my previous post) are being exploited. That said, it's not unusual for things like these to be exploited. In 2014, the Government had a program callled Workfare. It was intended to get people on welfare(i think, 6 months+ claiments) to do mandatory work experience but was heavily exploited. People were essentially working for less then the mininum wage(compared to an employee who worked the same hours on minium wage). Places like Poundland used it as free labour and it seemed to either demonise people who were unemployed or rofcing people to take placements that had nothing to do with their skillset or risk having no pittance. It was ended after a major backlash and i think, after it was discovered that "Volunteers" at the British held Olympics were exploited and treated like slaves or expected to work stupid hours or get denied welfare.

Speaking of different types of employment/erm.... education(?), Zero Hour Contracts may become illegal in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Quote:
Probably? Probably?! You intend to provoke me, sir?
If Brexit or the the Trump presidency has taught me anything, it's that nothing is impossible

(Not that I'm comparing Velv's career success to that of either of those catastrophes. Just.. No.. Velv.. Stop it, I'm sorry.. Just.. Wait a moment.. Please, I can explain...)

*Beta was issued a cease and desist, and as such, was ceased and desisted from all existence*

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm 

But everything is permitted.

Also, isn't causing a mod to be willed out of existence against the rules or is that on the list of things that Dovah is to never do again?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

@Dov
I, of course, have that list, and yes, it is on there.

Velvet LeChance wrote:
I'm actually going to be interning at a mutual fund: same one as last year, I liked it there and when they reached on to have me back I was really happy.

That's great.
Sounds like the feelings between the two of you were mutual.
Will you be doing the same kind of work as last year?

Incidentally, Legally Blonde was just on. That's pretty much how your degree has been, right?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:26 pm 

AARAAAAH! Erm.... there would be an anime gif but i don't wanna look for one. And I cannea find a Khaaan gif. The Internet does not have the power! Or google is rather poor for finding this.

Erm...

*awkwardly leaves*

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

^Are you...angry?

In tea news, I ran out of the tea bags I like four days ago, and then bought some today. Ahhhh, that's the good stuff.
An Englishman without tea for four days is inconceivable.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:45 pm 

No.

As for your almost fatal lack of tea. I'm glad to hear that you resolved it. No-one should go without tea. Heck, i'm surprised that the North doesn't try to invade the south every time it is close to running out of tea. Or the midlands. In fact, invade the midlands. We care little for them. Darn lously midlanders! Oh, big deal, you live in the middle and have lakes! Ooo, that is meant to be fancy. Well, I have news for you, Midlands. You.... are medicore.

I am joking of course. I've never been to the midlands. Though if London does become it's own country(don't ask me how, they will find a way), we can all steer our British dislike of London not knowing it's place towards it.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
I worked an internship for 9 months last year and it wasn't very good, but you should never begrudge an intern who does it (and I'm not just saying that because I was one.) I mean I'm unemployed at the moment and that's very not good (so hopefully that changes soon,) but working a full time job for an extra €50 a week is pretty [&@%!]. And I was at least the third person that company had hired through that scheme, nobody else got a job at the end either because they could just get another intern. So yeah, my personal experience with an intership wasn't good (I mean I argue capitalism is inherently exploitative, but that's a whole 'nother discussion and one we can't have here) and it was the perfect way to take advantage of people fresh out of college who didn't have any work experience. But the work itself wasn't hard and the people I worked with were all fine, so despite the pay being awful, as far as actual work goes it was grand. So you know, hopefully the experience and references I got out of it help with finding work.

The main problem for me on the jobhunting scene at the moment is I'm only really looking for work in Dublin because I want to move there later this year and there's a lot of jobs I see which would be great if I was in Dublin, but it's really had to justify when for some of them I'd need to commute 2 hours up and back every day. It would be like adding an extra 20 hours to your work week. North Side/City Centre? No problem. Far south side? Ehhh, yeah. We'll see how that goes.

The SheoDovah wrote:
AARAAAAH! Erm.... there would be an anime gif but i don't wanna look for one. And I cannea find a Khaaan gif. The Internet does not have the power! Or google is rather poor for finding this.

Erm...

*awkwardly leaves*

Is this the classic Sci-Fi scene you were looking for?
Hidden:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Quote:
there would be an anime gif but i don't wanna look for one.
Lazy! So very lazy! (Either step up your game, or step off the ring, m8)
:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

TLD wrote:
[...] workfare [...]

Kerr wrote:
[...] [Jobsbridge I presume] [...]

N.B. When I refer to unpaid internships I am not referring to the ones that are run through government services. Those are host to all sorts of well-noted abuses and I agree they're pretty terrible.

Kerr wrote:
[...] commute 2 hours up and back every day [...]

This is probably number one on the list of reasons I am emigrating at the earliest opportunity. For those out of the know, the low-density housing in the city and the fact that studio apartments are basically illegal (both because of current regulations) [edit: among other bad housing policy decisions made in the last 30 years] makes it basically necessary to live either somewhere terrible or somewhere 2+ hours away from where you work (which is what my family currently does) if you're entering the labour market out of college now.

Good luck finding a house/job though. I have a friend who lives in the North Leinster area in the same boat.

Aarah wrote:
Sounds like the feelings between the two of you were mutual.
Will you be doing the same kind of work as last year?

I will admit, I laughed at that joke probably more than I should have.

I think I'll be doing at least 60 percent of the same work (i.e. data auditing) and then - like last year - the rest is programming whatever they want me to programme.

Last edited by Velvet LeChance on Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 pm 

Hidden:
@Beta

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:19 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Velvet LeChance wrote:
I will admit, I laughed at that joke probably more than I should have.

No, no, you laughed at it the right amount.

Quote:
I think I'll be doing at least 60 percent of the same work (i.e. data auditing) and then - like last year - the rest is programming whatever they want me to programme.

Well make sure you know what you're programming before you start doing it. We don't want to have to blame the rise of the machines on you.

Good luck for your exam tomorrow, btw (and Thurs/Sat).

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Kerr wrote:
Is the font different when you're logged out or is my entire understanding of reality being undone?
Hidden:
Top is logged out in an incognito window, bottom is logged in. So they're different, right, okay.
Wait, is that what your font looks like all the time? Mine looks different. And is the same logged in/out.
Hidden:

Also, since I was taking a screenshot anyway...
Hidden:
Oh, what's that between my list of anime I want to watch and bands I want to look up? Why, it's a manga list. But hey, like I said, there's only 5.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

*When you spot Spice & Wolf on that list*
:
There is an anime god out there <3Image

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:00 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Have you never seen my list before? To the anime thread!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 775, 776, 777, 778, 779, 780, 781 ... 978  Next