UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Purist" Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fixes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
Update from 2023/08/21: The fix is now available at NexusMods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfall/mods/20/

tl;dr (scroll down for a much more detailed description)

What is this? This is a patch that fixes some very annoying errors with how some clothes, armour and inventory items are displayed in unmodded (vanilla) DOS Daggerfall and in DFU (if used with the Steam version of DF, for example).

What does it do? Here's some examples of what gets fixed:

Where do I get it? Scroll down to the bottom of this post or go here.

Detailed mod description

I've finally got around to revisit, revise and update my clothes and armour fix, which should be properly called the Paperdoll & Inventory Fix, as it addresses issues with paperdoll and inventory items graphics.

While the original release attempted to fix all the various errors with paperdoll clothes, armour and inventory items, I did overlook some things, and in some cases took a little too many liberties with the source material, which I tried to rectify this time.

It is probably worth noting that my original intent with this update was to make a more "conservative" fix that would only fix the most glaring errors, like distorted colours on armour or missing parts of cloaks, etc. However, as I started working I eventually arrived at the conclusion that there are simply too many inconsistencies in the original vanilla paperdoll items as provided by Bethesda for this to work. So I kept most of my previous versions' changes intact, but generally tried to keep my additions to a minimum, referencing original art whenever possible. Here's a very short list of highlights compared to the 2014 fix:
  • new fixes for Emerald, Ruby, Amber, Bracer and Cloth amulet inventory items
  • more colour fixes for various artifacts
  • restored the original Round shield -- I don't know why I decided to remove metallic pixels from the wooden part, now I believe this was the intended look
  • restored original colours on some of the helmets
  • cloak capes are now for the most part keeping original shapes, except where extra pixels had to be added to remove holes, including those resulting when the character wears a helmet
  • fixed more colour issues with female Khajiit suits
  • Elven male Khajiit suit is now based on the Human version but matches the Elven paperdoll body shape
  • Human/Elven female belted garments now use updated shading on the belts, whereas originally some of these had older shading similar to Argonian and Khajiit versions
Additionally, now I've listed all changes that I made to each sprite in the readme file.

You can download the latest version here or at the Daggerfall Unity Forums.

Some screenshot comparisons (left is vanilla Daggerfall, right is the current fix):
Spoiler:

Last edited by MrFlibble on Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "Purist" Vanilla Paperdoll & Inventory Fixes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I was not entirely happy with the updated fix, so I essentially recreated it from scratch, trying to stay as close to the source material as possible while correcting errors. The new version can be found here.

I learned not to focus on the absence of a uniform hand shape for human male and female characters (I mean the "hole" on garments or armour through which the paperdoll hand and arm is visible). In previous versions of the fix, I attempted to create an optimal shape and use it with all items, but was never really happy with the result. This time I mostly left this alone, but made sure that in Childguard mode, which is the default in DFU, human clothes always cover the underpants that are part of the paperdoll. Here's an example (left is vanilla and right is the fixed version):
ImageImage
Male Elf clothes got a complete overhaul, to give them the same look as of the male human clothes (where there are differences), but also taking into account the thinner waist line of the Elves, which is closer to that of male Khajiits. So I used both human male and Khajiit male clothes sets as a reference, because Bethesda basically gave elves Argonian clothes.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I just pushed a small update, cleaning up a few minor issues, including fixed colours on greaves' belts for human characters:
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:20 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The fix has been updated to version 1.1, taking care of extra pixels for Redguard characters in childguard mode, plus some other minor things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:57 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I've just uploaded the latest version of the fix to NexusMods:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfall/mods/20/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The fix has been updated to version 1.2. I've decided to separate the Childguard mode fixes into a subset of files that the user can install if they have Childguard mode on; Daggerfall Unity does not really need these fixes because it has its own way of handling non-nude character sprites without parts of the underwear showing through the clothes (as it happens in DOS Daggerfall in Childguard mode).

As a result, the main fix is now as close to the original Bethesda files (minus the errors) as possible.

The updated file can be found in the Daggerfall Unity forums thread, or can be downloaded here: df-dos-paperdoll-fix-12.zip