UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Forum proposals and questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:31 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
UESPoints: 0
This is a test site, meant as a place where you can suggest anything new to the Forum, as well as improvements to present. You may of course also suggest the removal of something.

The goal is nothing less than to make this Forum a better place. Everything is basically free, the only rule is that the general rules are being followed.

Quite naturally, the Moderator Team cannot guarantee the success of all or any of the proposals. What we wish is a constructive debate.

Post subject: Re: Forum proposals and questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:37 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfal, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion + DLC, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
I would like to see a tutorials section. Members and mods should all be able to contribute. Things like Morrowind/Oblivion modding would be the main focus and we could branch off to things like 3D modelling which is used by modders.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
Platform: PC, PS3
Spiney wrote:
I would like to see a tutorials section. Members and mods should all be able to contribute. Things like Morrowind/Oblivion modding would be the main focus and we could branch off to things like 3D modelling which is used by modders.

I second that. Tutorials are about the only thing I have to branch out to other sites for. Having a section here where all of us can put our knowledge into would be really helpful to up and coming modders. And also if the information is coming from someone here you will always be able to ask them if you don't understand something. Since we already have such a great community of diverse talents and modding skills I think tutorials would be a great addition to the forums. It may even attract more new members? You never know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 pm 
Warder
Warder

Well, the e-mail the forum uses to notify members that a reply has been posted on a subscribed topic has been flagged as unsafe by the Microsoft SmartScreen filter, and that's annoying because everyone with hotmail (or perhaps just me) is going to have those e-mails delivered to their spam folder and the links in the e-mail classified as unsafe.

It's not really a major annoyance, because I can just come on the site and check new posts, but I've always used that feature, and I rather liked it, because it linked me right to the first reply since my last visit.

So...can you change the e-mail and/or try to solve the issue with the filter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Spiney & Jakarius321: I agree about the tutorials - I also have to apologize for not getting anything done with the mod databases... "tons of explanations"... What we would need for tutorials, would be a sub-forum, where various tuts would appear as topics. I'm not very technical, I have absolutely no idea of how to do it, but I know it isn't a very big deal - this I was told in connection to another matter. I'll ask around about it.

Meanwhile, if you have some tutorials you'd like to share you can do that, of course, with a new topic. Please name it with the word Tutorial, like this:

Tutorial: Oblivion Screenshot Guide

I've understood that our capacity for stickies is about used, but the search engine works, and the keyword Tutorial is good.

=========================================

nyk45, that certainly is not good news. I'll inform the Administrators about it - they probably know it already, but I'll still do it. I believe this is a problem that needs their attention, not solvable by Moderators. I use that feature every day, can't imagine what it would be like without it... :shock:

=========================================

Thanks for your messages, m8s. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:50 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
There's a simple way to stop SmartScreen blocking URL's in UESP notification Emails. Run Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options, go to Security tab, select Trusted Sites, click the Sites button and add forums.uesp.net to the list of trusted sites. The links in the UESP notification Emails should now work because they lead to a trusted site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm 
Warder
Warder

Well, the links aren't my main problem, really, because I can get around them easily. The e-mails going straight into the midst of a lot of Spam is annoying, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Hmm. Spam filter may be defaulting to treating all Emails from the sender as spam. Try removing uesp@sympatico.ca from the spam Blacklist (always treat as spam), and adding it to the Whitelist (never treat as spam) instead. Coupled with adding the UESP domains to Trusted Sites, that should stop the UESP Emails being treated as spam.

Emails are allowed to contain links and if we change them to NOT contain any links, what's the point of sending them in the first place? You'll have to configure your anti-spam to NOT treat UESP Emails as spam. It's just Microsoft's over-paranoid security, is all. Needs a bit of a bang on the head to render the "over-enthusiastic interfering nanny" unconscious. :lol:

As for myself and most everyone else, we're receiving and using the Emails fine. In fact, I do my moderating BY subscribing to every new topic whether I post or not, so I receive Email notification of ALL new posts! I then simply use my Email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) to link to them. This automatically "bookmarks" the most recent post I haven't read yet, which makes moderating MUCH easier. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 pm 
Warder
Warder

I did that already. As soon as I noticed, in fact. For some reason, SmartScreen seems to go above my settings and block it, so there really is nothing I can do. I think...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:01 am 
Guardian
Guardian

Hmmmmmm..... Spam forum? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:01 am 
Champion
Champion

Blackfire wrote:

That wouldn't be a good idea. The offtopic thread fulfils the need for people to post whatever they want when they want, but keeping an independent sub-forum would just encourage flaming and spamming, which we don't really want here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
I agree with earlier posts about a tutorial sub-forum. That just might make me wanna start modding again, especially since I know most people here, so it'd be easy to ask for advice or help when I get stuck.

Reading random tutorials by someone you've never heard of and will never hear of again is so... impersonal.

to the land of the ancient lords

Lordran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:50 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Veck wrote:
Blackfire wrote:

That wouldn't be a good idea. The offtopic thread fulfils the need for people to post whatever they want when they want, but keeping an independent sub-forum would just encourage flaming and spamming, which we don't really want here.

We have a spam forum on the other forums i go to. It is not exactily encouraging flaming and spamming. All the spamming stayes in that forum. We just basically random talk and funny sarcasm in that forum. Nothing in that forum creeps out into the other forums. It may seem bad, but not realy. Altough, my other forums do have a smaller community. So I wouldnt know with certian people. but seeing how this community is soo similar to the other, I dont see how it would be a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:56 pm 
Warder
Warder

Blackfire wrote:
We have a spam forum on the other forums i go to. It is not exactily encouraging flaming and spamming. All the spamming stayes in that forum. We just basically random talk and funny sarcasm in that forum. Nothing in that forum creeps out into the other forums. It may seem bad, but not realy. Altough, my other forums do have a smaller community. So I wouldnt know with certian people. but seeing how this community is soo similar to the other, I dont see how it would be a problem.

Very different community, to be honest. I don't think it'd work here. There's the General Banter to start a topic on whatever you which to talk about, and the Offtopic thread for general offtopicness, so we're set imo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 pm 
Champion
Champion

I would like to see your post count being "counted" whenever you post in the non-ES threads.

These posts only appear when you check the posts you made.......... :|

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm 
Champion
Champion

Red Guardian wrote:
I would like to see your post count being "counted" whenever you post in the non-ES threads. It's kinda annoying to see that they don't appear in your profile. These posts only appear when you check the posts you made.......... :|

They were originally removed from the General threads to discourage spamming in them. I personally don't see any point to them whatsoever, so it's not really a big issue in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:11 pm 
Master
Master

Veck wrote:
Red Guardian wrote:
I would like to see your post count being "counted" whenever you post in the non-ES threads. It's kinda annoying to see that they don't appear in your profile. These posts only appear when you check the posts you made.......... :|

They were originally removed from the General threads to discourage spamming in them. I personally don't see any point to them whatsoever, so it's not really a big issue in my eyes.

Ditto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 pm 
Champion
Champion

Seeing as we can basically make any demands we want here within reason, I would like to see the following changes:
-Official post count removed (keep unofficial so Kessy doesn't cry)
-Add a "shady eyes" smily.
-???
-Profit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:41 am 
Guardian
Guardian

Ability to post on peoplez profiles?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:51 am 
Guardian
Guardian

Scozzar wrote:
Blackfire wrote:

I don't know if that's a good idea because the mods will then have to monitor that along with the forums. It'll turn into another facebook :shock:

It can just be a report system. and you can lock a certain person from posting on it, and you can toggle if you want people posting or not

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:59 am 
Master
Master

Blackfire wrote:
Scozzar wrote:
Blackfire wrote:

I don't know if that's a good idea because the mods will then have to monitor that along with the forums. It'll turn into another facebook :shock:

It can just be a report system. and you can lock a certain person from posting on it, and you can toggle if you want people posting or not

It's still a lot of work. I think Private massages will suffice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:34 am 
Champion
Champion

Spiney wrote:
I think Private massages will suffice.

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:20 am 
Warder
Warder

Veck wrote:
Spiney wrote:

:lol:

On-topic: I'm not sure phpbb3 supports profile messages.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:42 pm 
Master
Master

Veck wrote:
Spiney wrote:

[/faceplam]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thought I try to give you some answers / info, your suggestions surely deserve some. Feel free to give feedback, as well as develop your own ideas further.

Tutorial forum: as soon as Leilah comes back "full time", I'll start kicking this forward. I've had an idea that we perhaps could re-arrange present forums a bit, so that we would have a "Tutorials & Mods" Forum.

Spam forum: I doubt that will happen. If you want to, you can propose it to one of the Pinkies, but I believe most here are quite content with the Off Topic-Off Topic. Personally, I don't think I'll vote for this.

Post count: Like stated by others, post count was limited to avoid spam and post count fishing. I happened to visit a site where the administrator rebuked people for fishing - they were giving these "Ah", "Ih", "Ha" replies, just to increase their post count. In UESP, the post count has been limited to Topics where members truly provide, and also help other members. I think it's a pretty good solution we have right now. Can't see it changing, at least not in the nearest future.

Official post count removed: I actually suggested this in a PM to a former moderator - and that was before I got my green coins, and my position / title, not dependent of post count. I don't know, somehow it's nice to see if someone is a newbie, or an oldie... these military kind ranks kind of bother me, I think we could invent something new in that area. :?:

Shady eyes smily: we sure could use some more smilies, half a dozen or so at least. I'll send a few PMs as soon as I finish this.

Profit: If that means that Moderators start getting paid, I'm sure the Team is for it. :D

Post on people's profiles: Another thing I don't believe will happen. The whole UESP is built on the principle of public forums, PMs are here to make it possible for members to communicate privately. But the life of UESP is in the publicity of what is being said - it requires quite a lot of confidence and trust, but the fruit over the years has been the warmth and supportive spirit all newcomers feel and commend. And it's hardly been forgotten by older members either.

Cheerio. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1598 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next