UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can NPCs or non/semi-aquatic creatures drown?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:56 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Can NPCs or non/semi-aquatic creatures (no 'Water Breathing' ability) drown?
Also, regardless if they do drown or not, do they come up for air once they're underwater?

Some posts/articles within UESP suggesting that they could drown:

From: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion_talk:Water_Breathing :
Quote:
...I'm sure I've drowned an orge at least once by a combination of damage fatigue and paralyse spells.

It also might be worth mentioning that NPC can drown. All land creatures except those with specific water breathing qualities and liches can be drowned.

From: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion_talk: ... iving_Bear :
Quote:
...as far as I know, anything that's marked as being able to swim can also dive. How the game handles breathing underwater, that I don't know. It could be that anything marked as being able to swim can automatically breathe underwater, or it could be that it has some logic to encourage them to re-surface as needed, or it could even be that it'll happily let them drown if they run out of air. I know some creatures can drown, but I'm not really sure of the specifics there.

From: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Guard ... neral_Tips :
Quote:
It is also possible to drown guards, with Water Breathing and a relatively small bounty. To accomplish this, it is important to find a body of water with an obstruction directly above it, such as a dock in the Bravil Canals, or the Mage's Guild Well in Cheydinhal. Strike a guard, prompting them to follow you underwater. When the guard runs out of Breath, he will be unable to surface due to the obstruction directly above him, and will drown.

Also, can creatures or NPCs that don't have the 'Water Walking' or 'Water Breathing' abilities drown?

Quote:
All undead are immune to poison, and resist frost to varying degrees. Undead cannot be drowned: they all have either Water Walking or Water Breathing as a permanent ability.

This seems to imply to that non-undead creatures or NPCs that don't have Water Walking or Water Breathing as a permanent ability, can drown.

____

However, http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion%3aWater_Breathing suggests otherwise:
Quote:
[Water Breathing is] useless on all creatures, as all creatures seem to be able to breathe underwater naturally...

____

Can anyone confirm if NPCs or non/semi-aquatic creatures can drown? Also, regardless if they do drown or not, do they come up for air once they're underwater?

Post subject: Re: Can NPCs or non/semi-aquatic creatures drown?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:29 pm 
Wiki Admin
Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, Morrowind, Stormhold, Dawnstar, Oblivion, Oblivion Mobile, Skyrim
Platform: PC, DOSBox, PS3, Mobile
NPCs can definitely drown. Many creatures can't actually swim, but the ones who can should also be able to drown. I don't think the AI allows for them to come up for air, unless it's coincidental. Usually the only reason an NPC or creature would be underwater is because their AI forces them to be.

Minor Edits wrote:
Alduin = Akatosh's metaphysical testes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:29 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
legoless wrote:
NPCs can definitely drown. Many creatures can't actually swim, but the ones who can should also be able to drown.

I see.

Does this mean that the Water Breathing UESP article should be changed? It states that all creatures are able to breathe underwater naturally and "(except for a few, like horses, which can only swim on the surface, and therefore never need to worry about breathing underwater)". Also, the "Horses" UESP article state that horses can drown:
Quote:
It is possible to go underwater with your horse, but be warned; horses can't breathe underwater and tend to end up in a watery grave. This can be avoided but it is tricky to get a horse back above the water.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:47 pm 
Wiki Admin
Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, Morrowind, Stormhold, Dawnstar, Oblivion, Oblivion Mobile, Skyrim
Platform: PC, DOSBox, PS3, Mobile
Well, the thing about horses needs to be changed, but I guess the other part could be true. Needs testing.

Minor Edits wrote:
Alduin = Akatosh's metaphysical testes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, XBOX, 360
I'm finding a number of similar contradictions in the Oblivion wiki pages. Nothing major, but the kind of thing that if I had more time I would point out in the discussion pages when I find them.