UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: War for the Caldera Mines - Great House Mod Project
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 pm 
Champion
Champion

UESPoints: 0
Right, these are just my thoughts on the Hlaalu questline. Bear in mind they're just initial notes, so I haven't proofread or edited them from what I was thinking when I wrote them up. Feel free to treat them with as much disgust and disdain as you want.

Quote:
I think that one of the most potentially interesig things about the Hlaalu perspective will be that they're more on the defensive, something that normally doesn't happen to them. With a faction containing mostly quests for expanding the House's interests and power, giving them a defensive twist could freshen up some Hlaalu gameplay a bit.

The quest givers and ranks are something to consider. I think that awarding faction reputation for completing quests would mess up the natural progression through the houses, so I suggest we leave this out and keep the rewards outside of the faction. To give a reason for this, we can refer to the entire war as 'private business' outside the normal bounds of Hlaalu politics. Ideally, I think some new NPCs would be the best choices as quest givers. As there are a few ways to alter the balance of exactly who's governing Caldera, there are two many variables to hand to an existing NPC. Perhaps we could introduce a character with a very specific role to suit his quests, like the administrator of the mining operation.

I think the general quest order could be something like this:

-The first quest could have nothing to do with House Redoran. It could be about exploring the mines for some reason, such as clearing out a creature infestation or a quest similar to the Telvanni Agents one from the Fighters Guild. It's important to give players a feel for the area they'll be questing in regularly and an introduction to the kind of mod they should be expecting.

-The second quest in could be the clincher. It could be something like tracking down a smuggler who's escaped from town, or rooting out a sabotage operation with the residents in the town. The player could find a note on the criminal's body that somehow links him/her to the Redoran.

-To stop players from getting too cramped in the same area, I'd suggest that the next quest could be something like a Thieves Guild-style job in Ald'ruhn, to gather some information on exactly why the Redoran were in contact with the criminals.

-With the information in hand, the quest giver could give the player time to wait, similarly to Caiusand Mibani in the main quest. When he's ready to make a request, he could send you to assassinate or neutralise the Redoran responsible. My best advice would be to mix the methods up here. Some agents might be stopped by stealing their equipment or funds. Some might surrender or stop when confronted with evidence. Some might attack on sight or fight when prompted to surrender. They can also be spread out across Redoran and Hlaalu land.

-Obviously just killing off a few Redoran would be a bit anti-climactic to the story, so we should go out with a big finisher. Players should be aware that it's approaching however, so I'd suggest a short and quick quest to travel to Ebonheart and negotiate the terms of the house's defense of Caldera with Duke Vedam Dren. At this point, the Camonna Tong could also come into play. If you've managed to take control of them or have assisted them in the past (such as completing the Fighters Guild quests to kill the Thieves Guild leaders or the quest to lead the Argonian assassin to the abolitionist by Suran) then they will be willing to assist the Hlaalu and you'll get an extra few helpers in the final quest. If you've never helped them or killed Orvas Dren, they won't help you. We might also be able to integrate other factions in to help depending on your stading with them, such as the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, but that might prove difficult to implement.

-Now for the final quest. I'd suggest returning to Caldera to find an impending attack from the Redoran on both the mines and the town itself. I'd suggest that we spend a lot of time putting this ques together, as we should finish the mod off with a bang and a challenge. This quest could be kicked off by entering the keep to find hostile Redoran inside, who are keeping the Hlaalu retainers hostage. Once you've wiped them out, the hostages can inform you of your long-time quest giving pal, who's been taken to the mining office. So head there and kill some intruders to rescue him, and learn the location behind the attackers. I'd advise setting them up either deep within the bowels of the mine, or in a nearby dungeon of some form. So go there and fight your way to the Redoran leader, who could issue you with an honourable challenge or something typically Redoran. Once he's gone, return to the quest giver to complete the Hlaalu side!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Still looking through it all, but as far as introducing new NPCs, if the questline becomes available after Odral Helvi is run out of town, a new administrator or Governor-type figure would make a lot of sense, and would fit as far as giving the House greater credibility, as far as the undertone of the House in the game, with the struggle between the essentially 'good' and honest side of House Hlaalu and the 'rotten to the core' side of things linked to the Cammona Tong and corruption. So I support bringing in a new character at least, and this character could also administer the Caldera region post-mod questline, allowing the player to develop the mine or something similar.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:55 pm 
Warder
Warder

Done some practice. I can only make NPC's and control their behaviour.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:36 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That still might be useful, for instance if we want to populate the Caldera area with more Redorans/Hlaalus post-questline. I'll think about it and let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:38 am 
Warder
Warder

Okay! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Okay so I'm back for business, sort of. Any progress while I have been away? Been practising with the CS perhaps (j'espère), or working on quest outlines or dialogue :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:20 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Platform: Playstation 3, PC
I haven't being doing much due to school work.

High Lord of the Great House of Indoril and Lord of Almalexia

VVV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Me neither, obviously because I've been in France. First day of the final school term for the year, and just over a month til exams today, and it doesn't look like I'll have much free time, particularly this week. So I might be unavailable to work on this until December. Feel free to keep going without me, but we might have to put this on hold, and hope that while we do, more people decide to help out *hint, hint* :wink: :P.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Excuse the double post, but just another word on compatibility with this mod and Grandmaster of Hlaalu. GoH adds a new Governor to Caldera after Odral is dealt with, so that is another thing to look into. It will only effect Hlaalu characters though, I believe, so it might not be a big thing, although we should/could use that NPC as a quest giver/character.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:05 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim
This sounds like a really cool mod. I'd like to help out possibly. I'll PM you OD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
Erm, I have no experience with mods, but I would like to help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:59 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Just a heads up. I'll start modding over the holidays, along with Skyrim modding, and I've put out an 'ad' looking for other willing modders to help out.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5