UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Game freeze at a specific point
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:56 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3
Other Profiles: Davdomlan
UESPoints: 0
Hope some one can help me.

First let me describe what happened:

I was farming Fort Vlastacus for this special Shadowbanish Wine, so I entered the fort, then go back to skingrad, waited 3 days, then go back to the fort, by walking, and then again, however, when I was going back for the third time to fort Vlastacus my game froze, so I restarted the system and tried again and I got the same result. I tried by walking and by fast travel, and with both options as son as I arrive at Fort Vlastacus the game freezes, but thats not all, I found that I cant either get near Derelict Mine or Grayrock Cave cause the game also is freezing at that locations. So I think that something near that area is making my game to crash, I actually can fast travel or walk to any other location on the game except those three, so I was wondering if there is a way to force the game to reset that area to get that glitch away or whatever is crashing it at that location. By the way I am playing on the PS3 so i don´t have the console, I don´t have any mods, and I only have the official patches. I am playing the Oblivion GOY Edition so I have installed both Shivering Isles and The Nine. Sadly I have 3 game data saves, however the 3 of them are already glitched, so I can't go back to a previous state where the game was not freezing at that point, also I don't want to lose that game, I am at the 1246 day, with almost 350 game hours.

So any help would be great, as I say, some method to force the system to reset that area, or something would be great.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Game freeze at a specific point
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: All the main ones besides Arena
Platform: PC
That is so weird... I suggest waiting 30 days, (I know 72 hours works but I'd make sure by waiting month) to reset the cell I guess. This is seriously really odd though as I have a lightly/moderately-modded save file with more hours than you without issues. Yeah, waiting 30 days would be my only advice at this point and then saving before entering the cell you wish to visit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 am 
Layman
Layman

I will try that, thanks for the tip. However I have extra info to add, is there a posible way to fix this on the pc game? I am asking this because I managed to transfer the ps3 game to the pc, and then back to the ps3, so if there is a way to reset the cell via the console, would be great cause I could fix it on the pc and then continue to play normally on the ps3, thank you. Be aware that I have never played it on the pc so I dont know exactly what is done with the console so I dont know what can be done with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 am 
Layman
Layman

I am posting this cause it might help someone with the PS3 or pc getting this freezing thing, or crashing, when opening doors or entering an area.

I HAVE FIXED MY FILE.

How I did it:

Well apparently it was the a-bomb thing that was messing up with my archive.

I "exported" mi ps3 file to the pc in order to make some tests on the pc version of the game. I have read on several places that this cannot be done because the programming on the ps3 is totally different than the pc or xbox, well I have to say that this is not true at all. The thing as I can see it, is that you cannot open the ps3 file on the pc because ALL the ps3 game files are encrypted, so the first step is to copy your save file to the pc via usb, then yoou have to decryt the file, I used a program called PS3 Save Resigner to do it. Now, with the ps3 file decrypted I only copied the SysData file to the save directory of the pc oblivion and added the extension ess... and that was all, you can now load that game with the pc. However be noticed that in fact there is a incompability with the Shivering Isles and The Knights of the Nine expantions between the ps3 and the pc, why? As far I can see, the pc uses oblivion.esm, knights.esp and Shiveringisles.esp files for work, however on the ps3 version, there is only oblivion.esm, and on that file are included both expantions, so as soon as you load the game on the pc, none of the content of both will be available until you actually start the quests on the pc. Now, this is very important, if you plan to take back your file to the ps3, don't save thefile with the pc version, because as soon as you open your file on the ps3 it will not detect neither of both expantions, even if you already had them or started them on the original file.

So I made several test with the pc, using several console commands, trying to change the cells that were causing me problems to reset, I had no succes doing it. So I downloaded Wyre Bash to see if I was able to do something with it... and after several test I did it!!. It happens to be that the a-bomb was the source of my problem, so I used the remove tool of Wyre Bash to remove or reset the a-bomb, and eureka!! After I tried the file on the pc, there were no more froze screens at all!!

So the next step was to copy my patched file x.ess to my usb, renamed it to Sys-data, without any extention, then encryted it again with PS3 Save Resigner and then returned the file to my PS3, and gues what... It worked like a charm, with no information missing at all in the process, and no more game freezing at ALL!!.

Hope this help to anyone with ps3 problems.

Greetings.