UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Baurus and Jauffre (Spoilers Ahead!)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:25 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
Spoiler:
Hey guys. I recently finished playing through the main quest (for, like, the 10th time) and I was wondering what happened to Baurus and Jauffre in your game. Did they live? Did they die? What did you do for them, if anything, if the latter occurred? How did they do in the final battle at Bruma?

As for me, they usually die. I've only successfully kept both of them alive once on my always-level-1 playthrough, and every other time either both of them die or Baurus dies (seems like he has the health of a wet piece of tissue paper). For my original playthrough they both perished in the final fight, since I was about level 20 there were Xivilai spawning and wiping them out easily.

I remember that on my Argonian, however, Baurus went down in the most awesome way ever. A Dremora Valkynaz launched an electric bolt at Martin, and Baurus ran in front of him. I'm sure that in game, Baurus didn't mean to, but it sure looked like he ran in front of Martin and took the bolt for him, launching him to the hill but saving Martin. I also remember, on my Dunmer character, Jauffre took on three Storm Atronachs at once, killing two before he finally fell.

Usually, I take their katanas from their bodies and enchant them, naming them after their bearers, and putting it on display in Cloud Ruler Temple or in one of my houses. I then usually straighten their bodies out so they don't look like they died in the middle of a furious interpretive dance session, and drag them to the center of the battlefield. Since their bodies never disappear, it looks pretty cool every time I check out the battlefield.

I also used an Area of Effect fire spell to launch their corpses into Cloud Ruler Temple and put them on top of braziers, so that it looks like they're in a pyre.

Am I weird for doing this? I can't help but RP in RPG games like this. ^^' Anyway, post what you did for these two unsung heroes.

Quote:

Last edited by Unionhack on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Baurus and Jauffre (What Happened in your Playthroughs?)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
You might like to add the word Spoiler to the title of the thread, and perhaps utilise spoiler tags: [ spoiler ][ /spoiler ]
Spoiler:

Interesting question though, I haven't completed the Main Quest that many times to tell the truth, as I tend to like the Shivering Isles and Guilds a lot too, and focus on them more often.

However, in all of my playthroughs, I like to see it that important NPCs survive, and although I can go through long periods of frustration when they die only moments before their salvation, I wouldn't have it any other way.

By the way, your ideas sound pretty cool, I'll have to try the funeral pyre one some time. :mrgreen:

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

Post subject: Re: Baurus and Jauffre (Spoilers Ahead!)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 am 
Champion
Champion

Forgot about putting the tags. XD Thanks for reminding me!
And thanks for replying, I was about to think I was the only one who did anything for them.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:14 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: perylousdemon (Steam)
UESPoints: 0
Thus far, I've only completed the main quest once.
Spoiler:
Both of them got owned in the battle at the great gate outside of Bruma. Must've happened while I was inside, because they were both still alive and well when I entered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:54 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That doesn't seem right, I was under the impression that they could not die whilst you were in the Great Gate, because you had to be in the cell for their AI to work. Perhaps they were killed after you closed the gate, by stragglers? I could be wrong though.

Unionhack wrote:
Forgot about putting the tags. XD Thanks for reminding me!
And thanks for replying, I was about to think I was the only one who did anything for them.

Don't worry about it. Just so happens, my brother fought the Battle of Bruma today. Funnyily enough, Baurus was already dead from The Path of Dawn, and Jauffre, Burd and the Skingrad Guard were the only people to die during his battle. 2 Anvil Guards, 2 Chorrol Guards, the Bruma Guards/Militia and a Cheydinhal Guard all survived, but the named characters just had to kick the bucket :lol:.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Other Profiles: perylousdemon (Steam)
OblivionDuruza wrote:
That doesn't seem right, I was under the impression that they could not die whilst you were in the Great Gate, because you had to be in the cell for their AI to work. Perhaps they were killed after you closed the gate, by stragglers? I could be wrong though.

All I know is, they were alive when I went in, and very much dead when I came out. Maybe they got killed just before I entered the gate and I didn't notice. *shrug*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:29 pm 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
For some odd reason, there are times when Cap'n Burd and the Blades will start fighting each other as you emerge victorious from beneath the dead Siege Crawler. That's how Jauffre or Baurus often end up dead— killed by 'friendly' fire.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:42 pm 
Champion
Champion

Dark Spark wrote:
For some odd reason, there are times when Cap'n Burd and the Blades will start fighting each other as you emerge victorious from beneath the dead Siege Crawler. That's how Jauffre or Baurus often end up dead— killed by 'friendly' fire.

This is most likely because you accidentally hit someone and Jauffre and Baurus came to your aid, or they accidentally hit someone and this resulted in a fight.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:02 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

...once you get to know the Humor of Dark Spark... you will understand that they know the "odd reason".

- - - - - - - - - -

I know that it says that the fighting stops when you enter the Great Gate on the Wiki. However, I did some testing, using my leet ninja console command skills. I killed all enemy, everyone was alive, entered the gate, tcl'd directly to the Sigil Stone, and took it... several times.

...only to find a dead Soldier, Soldiers Fighting, or a Daedric Creature there, ect...

I believe what happens, is that creatures stop spawning from the gate if you are not in the cell. However, if they are already there, or in the process of arriving (as it take a few seconds to get to the gate and enter), they stay there, and fighting continues.

This does happen normally in game. If you enter a cell, it spawns some creatures, but you do not meet them and kill them, then they are still there to ambush traveling NPC's. This is how Countess Alessia Caro can die, as well as a few other NPC's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:52 pm 
Champion
Champion

Yeah, fighting can still go on even if you're not in a certain cell. It took me a few tries to get them to stay alive, and on my first few times I got into the gate thinking they were alive, but came out to their corpses.

If I recall correctly, when the Great Gate opens, three Dremora Valkynaz (or somewhere around that rank) pop out regardless of your level. On my beat-the-MQ-at-level-1 character, I recall a few Valkynaz popping out and wiping the floor with me and Martin because I wasn't prepared for them.

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, SI, KotN, SKYRIM
Platform: PC, PS3
Jauffre died. I was happy since I wanted Baurus to be the Grandmaster.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:38 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: BurningSuitcase
I've only beaten then main quest once, and I didn't even care to look if they were still a live LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jeff, that's interesting, I've never noticed that, probably because I go to extended lengths to ensure that characters survive (including spells and what not) - I don't do the main quest often, and when I do I want to do it 'right', although in saying that there is a sense of poetic justice accompanying major characters' deaths. Anyhow, that might explain a few things then. Perhaps the wiki needs an update?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
I can never get them to survive at the Great Gate battle. They always either both get owned when i'm in the gate (it's only Martin that can't die when your in the gate) or, like someone else said, loads of guards end up fighting each other when the quest is finished lol.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You sort of have to be careful with editing the Wiki. Not everyone has the exact same set up, PC, DLC, Mod's, ect... This can sometimes explain some of the (one-off) oddeties, especially when use of the concole commands is involved. It would be more appropriate to post something on the Talk Page, and see if more members could also verify this.

I believe it should be more along the lines of "Daedra stop Spawning", rather than "The fight Stops/freezes".

- This is basically the way it works normally in game, with Creatures and NPC. If you cause a creature to spawn, it is there until you kill it, or it encounters and NPC who kills it, or you come back around.

- I have also seen/done similar at Fort Sutch.

Now there could be a few things to also take into account.

- Daedra normally come out a Gate in 2-4 per group. Usually about 3 most of the time. Since there are 3 Gates Spawning Daedra, it is possible for a few to start to spawn, after the 3rd Gate opens, and there is a few seconds from killing the last (visible) Daera, to the time it takes to get to the gate.

- Daedra could be spawning, as you enter the gate.

- It could actually freeze Combat when you enter. It may just appear that it did not, as there is also quite a few seconds from when you Exit the Gate, to where you can actually see what is going on.

- It could be that they started to spawn as you entered the Great Gate, the game freezes Combat, then in the few seconds it takes after you Exit the Gate, they have started fighting again.

There are quite a few variables that are hard to pin down, to make what I have tested factual.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

For now then, I'll raise the possibility, and perhaps reword the page so that it is not so specific to combat outside the gate ceasing, on the talk page, and then a decision can be made. If you say you've found evidence to believe that this is the case, then I trust you, but if more testing needs to be done, it can be done to verify.

Edit: I've raised this possibility on the artcile's talkpage, but I haven't touched the article yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:59 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Turns out entering the gate DOES NOT END COMBAT, but simply activates a StopCombatAlarmOnActor command on Martin. This means that he may not die after this point, but other NPCs can. The wiki has been updated accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: Xbox 360
I do pretty much everything you do OP, so no I don't think it's weird. xD They usually die for me as well, unless I complete he MQ at a low level. Which I have done before, but not often. ;~;

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ahhh... that explains it. I had looked at the Scripts, but was looking at Quest Specific Scripts. That one is probably tied to Martin, since it doesn't affect all NPC's at the Battle. I'll have to see if I can find it, just so I know where it's at.

Thanks, nicely done. That is the way Wiki Edits should be done. This way, if someone has issues with the Edit, if they bother to look at the talk page, they will see why it was done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion (PC, Collector's + DLC + Shivering Isles), Oblivion GOTY (PS3, currently), Skyrim (PS3)
Platform: PC, PS3
I have finished main quest for the first time on 22nd october 2011 (yeah, three days ago) and I have to say

Spoiler:
Baurus died at Defense of Bruma quest. Sadly before going to Great gate and I didn't even knew it, so I haven't even seen his dead body and couldn't collect anything:-(

In the quest Light the Dragonfires there was only Martin and Jauffre going to the Imperial city with me.

Jauffre made it through the battle there and I suppose he is still alive somewhere (possibly Cloud Ruler Temple, I haven't been there since).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
UESPoints: 2
OblivionDuruza wrote:
Turns out entering the gate DOES NOT END COMBAT, but simply activates a StopCombatAlarmOnActor command on Martin. This means that he may not die after this point, but other NPCs can. The wiki has been updated accordingly.

:cry: I'm planning to keep them alive with a level 25+ character, so I'd like to know if enemies will respawn in Bruma after you enter the Great Gate.
Otherwise I'll just cheat and set them as essental...

I've read what Jeff said:
Jeff wrote:
I believe what happens, is that creatures stop spawning from the gate if you are not in the cell. However, if they are already there, or in the process of arriving (as it take a few seconds to get to the gate and enter), they stay there, and fighting continues.

What I mean is how long the respawnig time is, so maybe I can clear the battlefield and enter the gate before they respawn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Barus and Jaurferee dying was such [&@%!]. Most of the guards died, and so did the duo, but for some reason, an ill equipped poorly trained force of local militia came off intact? I mean, they weren't cowardly or anything, they just somehow survived. Anyway, I wonder what happenes if you talk to martin naked after the battle? Naked statue in bruma? Lol.

'Sweet mother, sweet mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.'

Ninja Text FTW!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:49 pm 
Champion
Champion

The Silent Striker wrote:
Barus and Jaurferee dying was such [&@%!] Most of the guards died, and so did the duo, but for some reason, an ill equipped poorly trained force of local militia came off intact? I mean, they weren't cowardly or anything, they just somehow survived. Anyway, I wonder what happenes if you talk to martin naked after the battle? Naked statue in bruma? Lol.

If you have armor in your inventory, you'll have it on your statue whether it was equipped or not. The statue uses your weapons with the highest health left (if your iron dagger is fully repaired and your Epic Longsword of Epic Epicalness has taken a beaten, your statue will have your wittle dagger.), and the same applies to your armor. So the best thing to do is leave anything you don't want on your statue in your house, or in some other secure place.

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Baurus
Spoiler:
was killed during "Light the Dragonfires"

Jauffre
Spoiler:
was killed during the Battle of Bruma

Those are my versions, I mean :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

@M.C.Marcellus, I'm not sure if the Daedra stop respawning, so I can't tell you for sure, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, because there isn't much you can do. You could use the console, or alternatively you could try reverse pickpocket some beneficially enchanted items onto the NPCs you wish to survive.

Honestly, I'm not too sure, but I will say that on the most recent Defense of Bruma that I observed, a level 20 Orc only lost 4 NPCs, and most, if not all of them died before he entered the Great Gate.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next