UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Official DLC for Oblivion on PC...?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and PS3
UESPoints: 0
So where can I get this from? I was a late adopter of the PC version (played on PS3 previously) and I'm seeing that all of the links on TES's official site lead to a website that doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/oblivion/dlc/

Is there somewhere else I can buy it? Or is it considered "abandonware" that I can download for free somewhere?

Kind of annoying that they'd have the links up but leave them leading to something that doesn't even exist...

Post subject: Re: Official DLC for Oblivion on PC...?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Skyrim (soon to be), Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, PS3, Xbox 360
Yea i was trying to get there for you but something odd happended and Chrome told me I was going to a fake site idk dude maybe its down for now. its supposed to be orders.bethsoft.com

Retainer Great House of Hlaalu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and PS3
Yeah, it's actually been this way for months now. =\

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
The Oblivion DLC's have been unobtainable for well over a year now. I have the original PC Oblivion 2006 release without SI, KotN or any DLC's, and I'd be happy to pay for them, but can't even download them.

For ages, the download site was just dead, giving a "404 Not Found" error. Now, Firefox reports it as "untrusted" because it's providing an invalid site certificate. And yet links to the unobtainable DLC's are included on Bethesda's new Skyrim-themed redesigned website. Did they even bother to test those links? Or do they simply not care about their older games and their loyal fans? Creating an exception to ALLOW the invalid certificate to BE "trusted" still results in a "404 Not Found" error, explanation being "The requested URL /dlc/ was not found on this server". So the web server IS up because it's serving a site certificate (even if its invalid), but the DLC folder doesn't exist on that web server! There's NO DLC content!

I'm sorely disappointed that with Skyrim having only a month to go until release and a revival of interest in Oblivion running at an all time high, they still haven't bothered to fix this problem.

I wonder how long it will be before Skyrim falls by the wayside with ZERO patch support from Bethesda and has to be maintained solely by the Elder Scrolls modding community? THEY are the tireless people we salute for keeping Oblivion alive for 5 years, not Bethesda! Expectation of a repeat of the Oblivion fiasco (Abomb bug, anyone?) will likely hurt Skyrim sales. Bethesda's lack of continued support for Oblivion is why I gave Fallout 3 a miss, for a start. Then again, I'll probably still buy Skyrim because of the new "Creation" game engine, but certainly not until I hear good things about its stability. Oblivion's "Gamebryo" engine was new at the time and look how incredibly buggy it was. I'm undecided as to whether to take the risk. I might just wait until there's a Skyrim GotY Edition on the budget shelf with the "final" patch pre-applied, all DLC's included, and unofficial patches available. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
UESPoints: 2
For some time all links to Bethesda store reported this message:
"Store Temporarily Closed. We needed to close the store temporarily while we perform some maintenance. Please check again shortly."
The link is now broken, and if you go to Bethesda's main page the store has been removed from the top. People on the official forum reported Bethesda didn't know when and if the store will be open again.

If you really want all the DLCs, the only option is buying the GOTY Deluxe from Steam (24.99€), as KotN disk misses Fighter's Stronghold.
I have the same problem, so please let me know if you find out something more.

PS: the 404 error means they removed the page from their server, maybe they're really opening a new store as in 2010. Spes ultima dea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:12 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, 360
Can you good folks endure my PC stupidity for a moment? Suppose I download Oblivion GOTY Deluxe from Steam. Would it be possible to burn that download onto a disc and use it in a console (HeX-Box)?

Something tells me that Microsoft's typically paranoid security coding won't make this scheme workable, but I'm not entirely sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:20 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Its probably because the GOTY made the DLC obselete, everybody buys the GOTY and gets them all that way now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
UESPoints: 2
Unfortunately, standard GOTY has only KotN, so if someone wants just Wizard's Tower and Fighter's Stronghold these's no way to get them.

The message on their website has changed, it says:
Quote:
The Store is Currently Closed
Please check back later for more info.

Keep hoping.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
I've been doing some Google searches and they're turning up forum posts from people with the same problem from as far back as 2006. Seems the "store" is like a yo-yo owned by a kid who eats incredibly sticky toffee. It spends 99% of the time stuck at the top of the string (closed) and occasionally does a brief spin at the bottom of the string (open) before zipping back up and sticking again. Apparently, it's been doing this since 2006, with long periods spend "closed for maintenance". I've been checking back about once every few months since early 2009, and the situation hasn't changed.

One of my Google searches turned up a surprising result, a Bethesda blog entry dated 27th April 2010, clearly stating the store was back in business again. What happens when I click any of the links? Yep. "The Store is currently closed" and "404 not found"!

I can't believe the DLC links on Bethesda's NEW official website (http://www.elderscrolls.com/oblivion/dlc) still redirect to the closed store. Try clicking ANY of the "Order/Download now from Bethsoft.com" links (for PC versions) and they're ALL broken, giving "404 not found". Odd thing is, the XBox.com links all seem to work! Considering they've had YEARS to iron out any problems with the store, I think it's clear that they simply don't care about PC Oblivion fans and, for reasons best known to themselves, are deliberately leaving the store closed permanently.

It's for reasons like this that I'll be boycotting Skyrim, at least until I hear GOOD reports about its stability, maybe even until a "final" patch has been released. And by then, Skyrim will be in the bargain bin so I'll buy a copy dirt cheap and Bethesda will see NO profit from it. It's a known fact that lack of support hurts future sales. Buyers tend not to trust a company that "doesn't care" about their products or their loyal fan base.

I've had my fingers burned enough times to know NOT to stick 'em in the flame again! "Once burned, twice shy" as the old saying goes. At least I have more sense than Bethesda, who seem intent on repeatedly shooting themselves in the same foot for years on end. With Skyrim about to be released, do they REALLY want the BIGGEST group of potential buyers (die-hard Oblivion fans) to be seriously p'd off en masse?

Me? I'm voting with my wallet. Skyrim WAS at the top of my "games to buy next" list, but it's now at the bottom. I recently splashed out on a 64-bit quad-core PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and a near top-end DirectX 11 video card (Geforce GTX 560) to get ready for Skyrim. However, being a VERY late 64-bit adopter, there are plenty of modern games I've missed out on and can now enjoy until Skyrim lands in the bargain bin. So Bethesda can just wait until I first buy and play through Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Aliens vs Predator, etc.

Happy launch day, because I won't be at the party. :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]