UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need help with being arrested without having stolen items!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:33 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
Platform: PC - Windows XP
Hi everyone, I am TOTALLY new to Elder Scrolls. My RPG experience has mostly been with DIABLO and GUILD WARS, but I had such a hard time learning how to play that even after several years and innumerable restarts, I never once ever got to the end of those games. So, I thought I'd try Elder Scrolls. And wouldn't you know it, I'm already stuck, and desparately need your help.

Just be aware that ANYTHING too technical will go over my head. Please don't assume that I know what you mean with abbreviations and stuff like that. I am the epitome of the term "newbie". Your mercy, patience and kindness is appreciated.

I have ELDER SCROLLS IV OBLIVION - GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION (with Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine).
for PC (Windows XP).

After leaving the prison tunnels (after the king was assassinated) I climbed the hill up to the city and ended up at the prison (I needed to find a bed to rest). After walking around and talking with guards and looking in rooms, guards suddenly started arresting me for theft. It is true that I picked up a few things in some of the rooms but there was nothing that indicated that I was stealing accept the little red hand on the items that only appear AFTER they are in your inventory. Even after I cleared out my inventory of all "red handed" items, the guards STILL arrest me and make me pay a 5-gold fine.

1) Is there any way to know - BEFORE I take an item - that taking it would be stealing?
2) How do I make them stop arresting me when there is no stolen items in my inventory?
3) Will I be arrested just for picking up and looking at something and then dropping it?
4) Am I supposed to return stolen items to someone/somewhere in particular?
5) When I'm arrested and choose to pay the fine, the guard says that I will be taken to the jail, searched, and all stolen items will be taken..... but when they transport me, I appear outside, in FRONT of the warden's office (which leads into the jail), and no one confronts me at all to take the fine money or the stolen items, and no one attempts to arrest me.... but as soon as I enter any of the rooms where the guards hand out I am instantly arrested again.... What's going on here?
6) How do I know which locks/doors/chests I'll be arrested for if I pick them?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Need help with being arrested without having stolen items!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
Champion
Champion

It appears that you are being arrested for a few crimes, stealing is only one, tresspassing is another.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Crime

There are many crimes in the game. There is an indication for most.

If a door is locked, there should also be a red icon. In most cases, a locked door will have a red icon, and entering is tresspassing.

If an item is in the open, there will be a red hand icon. Inside of containers, there is no red hand icon on the items. However, if the Container has a red hand icon, then all items inside are considered owned.

1) Is there any way to know - BEFORE I take an item - that taking it would be stealing? Yes, the red hand icon

2) How do I make them stop arresting me when there is no stolen items in my inventory? You are arrested for a bounty. You have to check your stats for current bounty. You could get arrested for other crimes

3) Will I be arrested just for picking up and looking at something and then dropping it? Yes, actually you will, if the item has a red hand icon

4) Am I supposed to return stolen items to someone/somewhere in particular? Nope, returning the items won't help, you can just drop them on the ground, or place them back in containers. ...but it is still a crime

5) When I'm arrested and choose to pay the fine, the guard says that I will be taken to the jail, searched, and all stolen items will be taken..... but when they transport me, I apear in FRONT of the warden's office (which leads into the jail), and no one confronts me at all to take the money or stoeln items, and no one attempts to arrest me.... but as soon as I enter the barracks where the guards hand out I am instantly arrested again.... What's going on here? Tresspassing in the jail. They do not actually go thru anything formal... you just get transported and the money and items are just taken.

6) How do I know which locks/doors/chests I'll be arrested for if I pick them? They have a red icon on them

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 pm 
Associate
Associate

Thank you so much for that help- and the quick response!
That all makes sense.

Now the only thing that confuses me....

1) why don't guards arrest me while I'm walking right passed them, but they arrest me the second I walk into a room with guards in it, even though they never arrested me there before. For example, I walked into a barracks room for the guards (I did not pick the lock to get it, the door just opened) and I was able to walk around without trouble, but once I started getting arrested for stealing and I paid my fine none of the guards arrested me again until I walked into that barracks again.

2) I would have assumed that when I get arrested they charge me all at once for all the crimes I've commited. Since they keep arresting me over and over again, should I assume this means they deal with each crime separately, and I have to keep getting arrested until all fines are paid?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:12 pm 
Champion
Champion

1) I am not totally sure why they would arrest for walking into the Barracks, my best guess would be that you are tresspassing. Are They making you pay a fine? What is the ammount of the fine?

This link tells you the crimes, and the appropriate fines: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Crime

2) When you are arrested, you pay off all of your fines. You do not have to pay each fine individually.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrwind and Oblivion.
Platform: 360.
I don't think you can pay off fines individually. Once you're caught with a bounty, they either force you to pay it all in full, go to jail, or pay with your blood.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:53 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, SI, KOTN
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Which Barracks is it? In the Imperial City guard towers, the levels of the tower get progressively more strict. The bottom level is open, the next up is a "warning area". In this case, they will warn you to get out ("You should leave") and if you stick around long enough, you'll get a trespass bounty. They'll arrest you on the spot as well, since they saw you commit the crime. The next level up is instant arrest. Where the previous level gave you a little bit to move around, as soon as they see you on the third floor, they're after you.

Note that none of the doors in the Barracks are locked, at least not to my knowledge. The best piece of advice I can give regarding crimes is anything that results in a red icon is a crime. This means that if a door has a red icon, even if unlocked, you'll be trespassing inside. Anything stolen will have a red hand, any containers will show the red "open" icon, and owned beds (typically) have a red sleep icon. (Not that you can even sleep in them.)

Also keep in mind the obvious stuff -- assault, murder. Lockpicking while in view of a guard will result in a bounty. Not sure if other citizens "report" you if they see you lockpicking. Note that I use quotes around "report". This is primarily an assumption -- if a citizen sees you commit a crime, you'll typically get a Bounty, as they "reported" you. (You don't actually see them run to the guards or anything.)

Finally, guards only actively chase you if they see you commit the crime, or if your bounty is over 500 gold. Otherwise, they don't take heed of you, but if you talk to them, they'll arrest you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim, TES Construction Set
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
press ` or ~ button

type:

player.setcrimegold 0

press enter.

if that doesn't work, press ` or ~

then type:

player.payfine

"...Okay :( "

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:50 pm 
Associate
Associate

Symphonic wrote:
Which Barracks is it? In the Imperial City guard towers, the levels of the tower get progressively more strict. The bottom level is open, the next up is a "warning area". In this case, they will warn you to get out ("You should leave") and if you stick around long enough, you'll get a trespass bounty. They'll arrest you on the spot as well, since they saw you commit the crime. The next level up is instant arrest. Where the previous level gave you a little bit to move around, as soon as they see you on the third floor, they're after you.

Note that none of the doors in the Barracks are locked, at least not to my knowledge. The best piece of advice I can give regarding crimes is anything that results in a red icon is a crime. This means that if a door has a icons, even if unlocked, you'll be trespassing inside. Anything stolen will have a red hand, any containers will show the red "open" icon, and owned beds (typically) have a red sleep icon. (Not that you can even sleep in them.)

Also keep in mind the obvious stuff -- assault, murder. Lockpicking while in view of a guard will result in a bounty. Not sure if other citizens "report" you if they see you lockpicking. Note that I use quotes around "report". This is primarily an assumption -- if a citizen sees you commit a crime, you'll typically get a Bounty, as they "reported" you. (You don't actually see them run to the guards or anything.)

Finally, guards only actively chase you if they see you commit the crime, or if your bounty is over 500 gold. Otherwise, they don't take heed of you, but if you talk to them, they'll arrest you.

Here's where I'm really confused with this game.
There's all these houses and shops and rooms and places with movable objects - things that can be picked up or opened. What is the function of having those "red hands" warning icons? Why bother putting the stuff there if we can't take them? Is it just there to tempt you? If I can't take anything, why should I bother to waste my time examining (for example) those elaborate multi-room multi-story shops if everything in it is illegal to take? And even if I do sneak and take something, the guards will just get you sooner or later, and you can't be in the Fighter's Guild with outstanding warrants ["bounty"] or stolen items. So why have all of that stuff?

Last edited by BellamyCay on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:02 pm 
Champion
Champion

It is there for the Visuals.., eyecandy. Shop keepers have to put their stuff out on the shelves, so that customers know what they can buy.

It is also there to "Tempt" you to Steal... or allow you to Steal.

The Red Icon is to help let you know that if you do take it, it is a Crime.

When you get to a high enough Level in Sneak, you can easily Steal everything in a shop/house, and not get caught. The best time to Steal, is when everyone is asleep, even at low levels.

You can still join the Fighters Guild, and the Mages Guild. You just have to pay off your Bounty/Fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:05 pm 
Associate
Associate

Jeff wrote:
It is there for the Visuals.., eyecandy. Shop keepers have to put their stuff out on the shelves, so that customers know what they can buy.

It is also there to "Tempt" you to Steal... or allow you to Steal.

The Red Icon is to help let you know that if you do take it, it is a Crime.

When you get to a high enough Level in Sneak, you can easily Steal everything in a shop/house, and not get caught. The best time to Steal, is when everyone is asleep, even at low levels.

You can still join the Fighters Guild, and the Mages Guild. You just have to pay off your Bounty/Fine.

Wait a minute... hold the phone....
so you're saying it isn't a bad thing to have a huge stealing/tresspassing criminal record and it doesn't effect your game play whatsoever, just so long as you pay when you get arrested?!
Well if that's the case, all I have to do is find the few people who will actually buy stolen goods, steal everything from everyone, sell it on the Black Market, and I'll have pleanty of gold to pay any fines if I'm ever caught.

Am I understanding this correctly?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:15 pm 
Champion
Champion

That is correct.

Even if you do not have any money, and have to go to jail, it does not affect your gameplay, as you have served your time. However, you may lose a point or two in one of your skills (random) if you go to jail.

Most of the Crimes, except for Murder, do not affect anything. You can lower an NPC's Disposition towards you for stealing from them, but you can easily play the mini-game, or bribe them, or use Charm, to get it back up.

Murder can increase your Infamy by 1 point, if you are seen Murdering. If you are sneaking, and are not seen, and kill in 1 hit, your Murder will go up 1 point, but you will not get a bounty, and you will not get an Infamy Point. The exeption to this, is doing a Quest for the DB, it will always count as Infamy, but if you are not seen, then you will not get a Bounty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Imperfect wrote:
press ` or ~ button

type:

player.setcrimegold 0

press enter.

then type:

player.payfine

Why is there always one person who basically says "cheating is the solution"

I assume you're the kind of person who thinks Midas Magic is a good mod... :|

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:55 pm 
Associate
Associate

Jillian wrote:

LOL... to tell you the truth I actually like money cheats. In fact, I always used the money cheat when I played the original THE SIMS. I'd boost the money to the max and then build as big a house as I wanted and fill it with whatever I wanted and then get on with the real fun of the game - throwing huge parties to make Drew Carry show up in his limo and entertain the crowd!

Ok, so if I put in "player.setcrimegold 0" is there supposed to be a space between the 0 on the end?

Hey, if I put in a negative number... say "-50" ... will the guards pay ME?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:44 pm 
Champion
Champion

To be fair, and honest, I thought that at first too... but then thinking about the topic, it is about a potential glitch, so using those console commands could help to offset the glitch.

It could have been that they were arrested, payed the fine, but the bounty was not reset to zero. Even if your player stats show Current Bounty 0, the guards might still be seeing a bounty.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Correct: player.setcrimegold 0 type it exactly like that, with a space.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:40 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and PS3
I am glad I play it on console. Cheating really ruins games. Games should never have cheats in them. If you're not good enough to play them with out using cheats or console commands, go play outside.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:56 am 
Associate
Associate

lostlast wrote:
I am glad I play it on console. Cheating really ruins games. Games should never have cheats in them. If you're not good enough to play them with out using cheats or console commands, go play outside.

My my, someone's got their claws out I see. Just because someone dropped a house on your sister doesn't mean ya gotta take it out on me. I thank you for your opinionated opinion, but as I OWN the game I suppose that means I can play it as I like without anyone else's approval. But technically I don't really consider it cheating since I can't really figure out all the ins and outs of the game and any little progress helps. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim, TES Construction Set
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
Jillian wrote:
Imperfect wrote:
press ` or ~ button

type:

player.setcrimegold 0

press enter.

then type:

player.payfine

He said, "without shaving stolen items". That implies a glitch. Is the solution for the Ordinator attack glitch not a console command?

I don't even know what Midas Magic is. Is there really a such thing as cheating in TES anyways? Really, if your gonna imply that modding or consoling is cheating, wrong, and shouldn't be done at all, then play games that don't come with their own Constrction Sets.

I also haven't seen anything that said my solution wouldn't work.

Yes, there is a space between the end and 0. I have not tried a negative integer. I shall try that immediately.

TES is meant to give you an alternate reality to escape from the real world into. I am not going to play by rules in a single player game, because it is MY game, MY rules. That is the whole point of the art.

"...Okay :( "

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:10 pm 
Associate
Associate

Imperfect wrote:

TES is meant to give you an alternate reality to escape from the real world into. I am not going to play by rules in a single player game, because it is MY game, MY rules. That is the whole point of the art.

YOU GO!!
TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]